Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Willis Calls "Die Hard" Prequel "A Very Good Idea"

The "Die Hard" lead answered questions about John McClane's origin story, calling it a good but "tricky" idea.

Full article here.

It might be a very good idea- for his bank account!
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Ugh, the whole point of the first movie was that it was about an average joe cop who was wayyy in over his head, and had to rely on his wits, training, and improvisation to stop an elite force. It *is* an origin story. Having McClane do something like that when he first starts his career removes that everyman aspect.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

A very bad idea. No origin needed, agreed. Average cop, married. Die Hard should be as formulaic as James Bond....terrorists take over something different and in-over-his-head McClane stops them against all odds.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Having John McClane go up against similarly overwhelming odds before the first film undermines the narrative. The concept is that he's never been in that situation before up to that point, hence him being reluctant to shoot the first terrorist he encounters.

The only way this works is by going against the Die Hard formula, and making it more of a noir crime story than a terroristic threat.

I was enthused about the idea of Die Hard 6 when they were talking about a trip the Nakatomi Headquarters in Japan...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The value of a franchise's name is ruining Hollywood. So many increasingly ridiculous ideas done in the name of continuing these "big name" franchises.

Never in my life did I imagine that Die Hard would end up like the Friday the 13th series or Hellraiser or Halloween or some other ran-too-long franchise of increasingly lame lesser films.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-22-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The value of a franchise's name is ruining Hollywood. So many increasingly ridiculous ideas done in the name of continuing these "big name" franchises.
    I'm kind of mystified that no one else has attempted the original Bond formula: same character, same continuity, different actor.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm kind of mystified that no one else has attempted the original Bond formula: same character, same continuity, different actor.
    Technically the first three jack ryan movies had the same continuity. But after that it went to hell in a hand basket.

Mighty Member

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...tdHA-A7kJ9U2k4

Come on Fox aka 20th century fuckface, stop beating this dead horse of a franchise, the last one killed the franchise and we don't need any shitty prequel to the franchise.

I have come to the sobering reality that in essence the audiences going to movies today are to blame for the chain of unoriginality being unbroken. For the countless streams of sequels, reboots, and remakes. As well as the Niagara falls of films based on comics, based on books, based on plays, based on video games, based on tv shows, based on board games, based on toys, based on emoticons...

We have only ourselves to blame for Hollywood studios greenlighting one sequel, reboot and remake after another. We made Michael Bay's 4th Transformer film a hit at the box office while the 5th film was a flop, goodness for that. We made Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle aka Welcome to the bungle (in my view) so huge that now studios are trying to recapture that success with reboots/sequels, same for the Creed films and the new Halloween film which i disliked.

No. They are rolling in your cash. They have no reason to stop rehashing the same plotlines and using the same formula over and over again. And is that really what you want? You can't keep doing the same thing again, and again, and again, and keep expecting the same result. Eventually the returns are going to diminish and when they do? We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I see so many people talking about how hollywood is so unoriginal now, how it isn't what it used to be. "Why can't films be as good as they were in the 80's and 90's" and I say the same things trust me. But a lot of these people still pay to see the next focus group created blockbuster and stuff Disney's pockets with the next Star Wars film. If it has Star Wars on it? A good amount of people will compulsively buy a ticket like it's smack on a street corner. Luckily Solo bombed and i disliked that movie.

All this does is lead to Hollywood thinking you want more blockbusters not less. That you want more sequels, and reboots or remakes. Not less. That you want spin offs like a young han solo movie. And this ultimately leads to the franchises you love getting ridden into the fucking ground. And then tossed in the garbage heap until 10 or twenty years roll by and they take it out of the trash and give it a new coat of paint.

All we are doing by making these reboots, sequels, remakes, prequels and based on movies hits? Is sending a message to the studios that this is what we want. And is it really? Do we really want a Top Gun way 2 many years 2 late sequel? Do we really want a remake of Flatliners? Do we really want to see another Saw movie? Does anyone really want to see that Baywatch movie came out that just bombed? Or another Friday The 13th reboot? I know I don't.

Or more importantly, do you? And if you don't want to see this? Then don't pay for it. Speak with your wallet. Wait to rent those films on blu ray or dvd. Don't just pay for a ticket just because of name recognition. That is exactly what leads to more reboots, remakes, prequels and sequels and the death of originality in mainstream cinema. Although Blade Runner 2045 was an excellent sequel done with care and passion and Mission Impossible is right on track with the new movie and i love it as MI Fallout is one of my faves of 2018. And A Quiet Place is the start of a fresh new horror franchise.

If you want to support a franchise or a sequel? Support a new one. Like John Wick for example being a fresh new franchise. To show the studios that you want new franchises, with new characters, new universes and new worlds. Instead of the same ones, refurbished and sold back to you as brand new. Otherwise this nostalgia train isn't going to stop until it rides your memories into the ground.

I know they would just like to do another Die Hard with this. But if they did a gritty, more realistic cop movie, showing McClane to be a street savy cop would work. I doubt they would do it, but that is the only way to keep Die Hard what it is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I rather have a Die Hard movie with Jai Courtney

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I know they would just like to do another Die Hard with this. But if they did a gritty, more realistic cop movie, showing McClane to be a street savy cop would work. I doubt they would do it, but that is the only way to keep Die Hard what it is.
    Your just gonna get deminishing returns until the bottom falls off.

I support new franchises like John Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Having John McClane go up against similarly overwhelming odds before the first film undermines the narrative. The concept is that he's never been in that situation before up to that point, hence him being reluctant to shoot the first terrorist he encounters.

The only way this works is by going against the Die Hard formula, and making it more of a noir crime story than a terroristic threat.

I was enthused about the idea of Die Hard 6 when they were talking about a trip the Nakatomi Headquarters in Japan...
    Funny thing is, the first Die Hard is based on a detective noir novel-another novel in the series was adapted as the Frank Sinatra film the Detective. Die Hard pretty much just changed the name and age of the character, and details of the plot-but it's pretty similar. Die Hard 2 was also adapted from a novel (although with a different cop).

I've heard rumors that the movie might deal with both a young and old McClane, perhaps similar to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in that fashion.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Your just gonna get deminishing returns until the bottom falls off.

I support new franchises like John Wick.
    I only partially liked Live Free and Die Hard and hated the last film but doesn't Die Hard fit your criteria for continuing a franchise since it's based off a book?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I can see only one way this could work, and even then, it would be deeply flawed: the adventures of young John McClane as a soldier in the Vietnam War during the 1960s/1970s. He's young, inexperienced, and naive, and we see only glimpses of the tough cop he will eventually become. Of course, even if they could pull it off, how would such a film be different from PLATOON, FULL METAL JACKET, and other similar Vietnam War films?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014