Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You know, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a John McClane prequel, just as long as it's nothing like any other Die Hard movie. McClane at the Police Academy just trying to graduate? McClane's first case as a detective trying to solve a murder in classic film noir? McClane constantly having to write speeding tickets to the same guy over and over again? Sure. But having a prequel where young McClane has to stop an elite team of highly coordinated terrorists and thieves set before Nakatomi Plaza is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Your just gonna get deminishing returns until the bottom falls off.

I support new franchises like John Wick.
    why is it one or the other?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Your just gonna get deminishing returns until the bottom falls off.

I support new franchises like John Wick.
    A "Die Hard" prequel will be more interesting than a fourth "John Wick" film.

Zero doubt in my mind.

Extraordinary Member

John McClane is a role like Han Solo where 99% of the appeal is the actor. It’s not even like Bond where you have character who has a library list of standard tropes that you can ask an actor to fit into “wear tuxedo, be smooth, drink martinis, be a seductive womanizer, use gadgets, flirt with Moneypenny, be condescending and cocky to villains, say a handful of catch phrases, make one liners”.

No McLane’s Bruce Willis

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A "Die Hard" prequel will be more interesting than a fourth "John Wick" film.

Zero doubt in my mind.
    No it ain't, i mean John Wick is something different and new and i support new franchises, and John Wick 3 is said to be the last of the trilogy and i really appreciate it for being something different than a long dead franchise like Die Hard which the last film killed the franchise and even Predator is now dead and should rest in peace. I want new franchises, although i admit Mission Impossible is strong now with the new movie that came out. John Wick is my favorite movie of 2014 and John Wick 2 is one of my favorites of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You know, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a John McClane prequel, just as long as it's nothing like any other Die Hard movie. McClane at the Police Academy just trying to graduate? McClane's first case as a detective trying to solve a murder in classic film noir? McClane constantly having to write speeding tickets to the same guy over and over again? Sure. But having a prequel where young McClane has to stop an elite team of highly coordinated terrorists and thieves set before Nakatomi Plaza is a disaster.
    Apparantely Die Hard was based off a novel Nothing Lasts forever by Raymond thorpe. It became a Frank Sinatra Film and he was originally attached to star before Bruce Willis. So maybe you can remake the first Sinatra film as a remake or they could always do a Moonlighting Spoof.

According to wikipedia, there is a Die Hard Year One comic in 2009 so they could always adapt that.

It be funny if they get Joseph Gordon Levitt to be young John.

Funny thing is, the first Die Hard is based on a detective noir novel-another novel in the series was adapted as the Frank Sinatra film the Detective. Die Hard pretty much just changed the name and age of the character, and details of the plot-but it's pretty similar. Die Hard 2 was also adapted from a novel (although with a different cop).

They asked frank to come back for die hard and he passed due to his age but thanks to a deal from making the first one got profits from all the die hard films! (smart guy!)

Also note that after frank passed they were going to turn it into commando 2! But Arnold was tied to another film (running man? Not sure) and they went back to making it a follow up to the detective.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-05-2019 at 07:03 PM.

The last die hard was utterly ludicrous mediocre action movie fare so I doubt this will do any better.

so would they cast a Willis look alike for young John?

I'm thinking the CGI to "de-age" willis would be expensive if that's the route they go.

I never saw the recent movie with his adult son. how did that movie end up?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

well Bruce gotta eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so would they cast a Willis look alike for young John?

I'm thinking the CGI to "de-age" willis would be expensive if that's the route they go.

I never saw the recent movie with his adult son. how did that movie end up?

Marvel has it down, Im sure they can get enough info from people who worked on various Marvel films to be able to do it.

translation "pay me"
    The J-man

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I know they would just like to do another Die Hard with this. But if they did a gritty, more realistic cop movie, showing McClane to be a street savy cop would work. I doubt they would do it, but that is the only way to keep Die Hard what it is.
    That's the way I would go. But I think the producers would want the over the top action scenes.

I want to see two things with "Die Hard":
    -- Reboot it with a different character, same "regular person (not even nec a cop) waaay in over his/her head who has to scramble to take down a bunch of villains" premise. The premise was always the most interesting thing - not John as a character. (imo, 'natch)
    -- Wait a few years and have "Die Hard in a nursing home." No joke. A nursing home with an old, feeble McClane fighting bad guys. Again, not a joke. It would give him the same underdog quality he had in the first one. No giant stunts and set pieces. Lo-fi and dirty. (Call it "Old Man Die Hard" for you comic book fans )

Astonishing Member

My idea to that?

Let it rest in peace. It will be a box office flop, no matter what.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I like the idea of a movie that is both a prequel and sequel. It could be really good or really bad, depending on how things play out.

If memory serves, Theo is the only villain who survived a Die Hard film, and cyber-villainy has only gotten bigger over time. So it'd be interesting if they could work him in. Definitely doable, ,especially if the conceit is a celebration of John's heroism at Nakatomi Plaza.

I suspect the prequel portion would deal with a smaller threat that would eventually come back to bite John in the ass in the present day.

And finally, I'd like to see John and Holly reunite. That'd be a nice way to wrap the series up.