Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

He has a point I also feel the same way when people say black characters have to be written by black writers.
    We need better comics

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    He has a point I also feel the same way when people say black characters have to be written by black writers.
    It is but the thing is there is alot of enthusiasm for that point, a point that when you think about it needs no explanation. It's not exactly groundbreaking. I'd think that most people agree with those sentiments.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    No I'm not. The contrast of "doesn't have to" and "I'd rather" isn't difficult to grasp. One is a truth, the other a preference. The director doesn't have to be black; I'd RATHER she/he was. If Daken is ever to appear in a film, the actor doesn't have to be attractive to make him Daken (dangerous, manipulative, intelligent); I would RATHER he was attractive nonetheless. It's just not a deal breaker. Understand the difference?
    Yes you are,you're choice in words does not change the way you view this. "you'd rather is still the same as "still should be a black director. Spin Doctoring is not hard to do. For you to say what you did still say's it's a dealbreaker. Your's is more than a preference, Understand?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    I know but here's the thing. I'd have a hard time arguing against this ideal when it comes to cultural specificity like which one would you PREFER? Depending on if they are going to delve into these cultural elements when it comes to this franchise? I feel the Marvel Publishing went with Coates to write the BP title for this very same reason. To me this is a clue as to what direction they are going in with this movie.
    Not sure if you're personally asking me, but I don't have a preference. Since X-Men of the early 2000's the best Marvel movies to me (Punisher and Iron Man 1&2) have been the ones I know little to nothing about as far as the comics. Yet somehow these two characters, that hadn't wowed me in the comics, did on the screen. And I have a very good feeling that Black Panther will be the same for me. I just think it's narrow sighted on either side of the debate to prejudge any one man or woman as better or worse because of the color or their skin or gender. People can surprise you on who and what they are all about if you take the time to see past those things. So random white, Asian, Latino woman or homosexual director may hammer out a better Black Panther than random African American director.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    Yes you are,you're choice in words does not change the way you view this. "you'd rather is still the same as "still should be a black director. Spin Doctoring is not hard to do. For you to say what you did still say's it's a dealbreaker. Your's is more than a preference, Understand?
    You miss the nuances of that preference.
    Militant Anti-Villain
    The Ghost Militant...

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    Lol! Moose; you hit it on the head purrrrrrfectly smh

EDIT; agh beat me by two second
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

While I agree with Mackie that the Black Panther movie does not need a black director, I think it would be a great opportunity to find a director who wants to direct a Black Panther movie. Whether that person happens to be black or not, is an entirely different conversation. I think it's important to find a director who wants to work on the Black Panther movie, thinks he/she will knock it out of the park because of all the cool things that he/she will do.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Shouldn't we have the director be an actual african citizen that is black? What does a black american know about living in africa? Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I wonder what Feige will think about Mackie's comment
    I'm guessing that Feige gave the quote to Mackie to say to test the waters.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The Seabiscuit comment was gold. lol I totally agree with him, they need directors based on what the studio feels they can bring to the table, not on the fact that their gender or ethnicity might match that of the lead character. For example I respect Spike Lee a lot, but I don't think he should direct a movie like "Black Panther".
    But he should definitely direct a movie like "The Black Panthers".

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    While I agree with Mackie that the Black Panther movie does not need a black director, I think it would be a great opportunity to find a director who wants to direct a Black Panther movie. Whether that person happens to be black or not, is an entirely different conversation. I think it's important to find a director who wants to work on the Black Panther movie, thinks he/she will knock it out of the park because of all the cool things that he/she will do.
    And that's what they have been doing. THey will get someone who wants to have a go at this character. I think that is a given however.
    Militant Anti-Villain
    The Ghost Militant...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    And that's what they have been doing. THey will get someone who wants to have a go at this character. I think that is a given however.
    I think it's safe to say that if more creative people of colour and gender were thriving in Hollywood, this kind of thought-process would be a non-issue. This kind of thought-process being "Let's find someone black to work on a character that is black". I used to really get annoyed when there seemed to be this drive for "forced diversity", but right now, I think moves towards diversity, regardless of how forced it seems, is basically like a bitter pill. It's hard to swallow now, but it's for the best for any future of diversity without coming off as PC.

I want to get to a place in movies/TV/video games and especially comics, where a character is created with a single-thought in mind: how to make him/her cool, not whether he/she is diverse enough.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

All-New Member

Another one for the time capsule!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gantz_alien_killer View Post
    Shouldn't we have the director be an actual african citizen that is black? What does a black american know about living in africa? Just sayin.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Its totally & utterly unimportant that the director be black. It shouldn't make a difference what color or background the director is as long as they make the best film possible.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984