Extraordinary Member

Default The Superman/Superfamily fanfiction thread. Post your favorites or even your own!

We've had a lot of discussions about how people don't like the current Superman, the 2000s Superman, the post-Crisis Superman, the silver age Superman-though I don't think anyone has complained about the golden age Superman.

There's one area where we can all get the Superman stories we want, though it involves sifting through a lot of muck. Fanfiction. Fix-it fics, alternate realities, tributes to bygone ages and characters, fanfiction is unencumbered by editorial interference

So if there is a fanfiction story about Superman or any 'Super' character like Lois, Supergirl, Steel, ect that you really like and think that it captures the spirit of what you like about Superman or his world, share it here. And if you have your own fanfiction story and think it is good, share that here as well.

Anything from any version is welcome as long as it relates to the Superman line. If you want to post a story where Clark is the mask, post it. If you want to post a story where Superman is just 'what I can do,' post it. All that matters is that the story is good.

Just provide the title and the link to the story, and let's have some fun.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

There's a handful of truly exceptional Superman fanfic that I know of.

Superman Vs. The Universe: An all-powerful Superman at the end of time reviews the events of his life before taking his final actions; the prose falters in places, but it's ambitious and heartfelt, and a solid spiritual cousin to Joe Keatinge's "Strange Visitor". The writer Vadakin's other Superman stories - of which there are a few - are also pretty alright from what I've seen, especially "Old Together", a different take on Superman's later years.

Superman and Man: A story from 1999 in which Superman and Christopher Reeve switch places for a single day. Some might be against the story on principle since it involves a real person - especially given the real person in question - but for those interested, I thought it was wonderful, and there's some solid comedy in it on both ends, with Reeve living as the character he played, and Superman learning about a movie that didn't *quite* get all the details of his life story right (this is a future version of the Silver Age Superman), even if it had the spirit.

Samuel Hawkins' Superboy stories: Four stories on Superman's youth endorsed by Maggin himself, "Taking Time" (his first appearance as Superboy to the world), "Tomorrow's Lesson" (his first major adventure with the Legion), "Strange Visitor" (the Kent family has an old friend over for dinner) and "Martha's Story" (Martha recounts the story of her life on her deathbed). They're all great, but that last one is All-Star Superman level for me personally.

Starwinds Howl/Luthor's Gift: Elliot S! Maggin's own self-published Superman stories years after his official tenure was concluded, the first being the Krypto story he'd wanted to write for years, the second being his take on the end of Superman and Lex's eternal war.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member

The Superboy stories are pretty interesting considering that I normally don't care for pre-crisis Superboy.

I didn't post these following stories because I wanted the first stories given here to be about Superman himself.

A Touch of the Divine: I found this pretty cool 'what if Linda Danvers hadn't given up being Supergirl' fic on comicvine and ff.net. Obviously it's not as good as the PAD series it continues from, but it continues the themes and characterizations of that series nicely.

Here is a little self-plug, also relating to the PAD version of Supergirl. I've made no secret of my complaints about the setup of the Supergirl tv show. So I've started writing my own 'Supergirl tv show' on the classic comics forum, which is mostly based on the PAD run.

http://classiccomics.boards.net/thre...show-episode-1

http://classiccomics.boards.net/thre...show-episode-2

I'm glad someone started a thread like this. I've been writing my own stories for years. And just this past year, I wrote my first ever Superman story called "Strangers In Paradise." It's been a challenge. I definitely have a new appreciation for the writers who have to find new challenges for Superman and organize how his battles play out, but I've been enjoying it every step of the way. And so far, it's gotten a lot of positive response. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

Let's not turn this just a place where I post updates of my own story. Maybe the DC New Dawn Writers want to talk about their stories?

Anyway, here's episode 3 of my version of a Supergirl tv show. http://classiccomics.boards.net/thre...show-episode-3

I always figured that Clark would have other identities, once used as part of his journalism work, and separate to him being Clark Kent. In this day and age, some of those identities would be online personas, but there would be a few 'in person' ones, too. So I started a fan-fic on that theme:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8908057...d-Old-Gray-Eye

It's an attempt at having him tackle certain things that have only been alluded to in the comics - trafficking rings, for example - but with a Superman aspect folded in.

Years ago, there was a piece of fan fic where Superman tackled Darkseid and Apokolips (and by 'years ago' I mean over a decade ago now) and it was awesome. I don't know who wrote it, I just remember printing it off, chapter at a time, and wanting more. Good times. If I ever find it again I'll post a link here.

Extraordinary Member

Episode 4 of my version of a supergirl tv show.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1158938...-show-Season-1
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 11-11-2015 at 06:09 AM.

Can't believe I forgot about this when this was first posted: the Film Critic Superman account's tumblr (the twitter account itself I suppose being a fanfic of sorts, and also - as I always try and inform people at every reasonable opportunity - the consistent best non-Morrison Superman material of this decade) posted the excellent Halloween-themed Yellowfire, a terrific Superman short story everybody should check out (Ascended, Superlad, looking at you in particular). Also on there is "On My Planet...", presented as a Kryptonian fable (a myth unearthed, as explained by Superman on his account, by Brainiac 5 as part of Miracle Monday celebrations) that reveals the earliest origins of a certain glyph.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 12-14-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    Buh-bye

Assuming we can include fanfic starring pastiche characters, there's also sci-fi author and comic fan Hannu Rajaniemi's Kosmograd Blues, his first English story focusing on a Russian Superman-type hero (several years before the publication of Red Son). He also posted some notes on the larger universe when he first published it not in the link, reprinted below (he notes another story in this world of his here, 'Duels', but I haven't been able to find it):

"Superficially, it resembles our own world quite a lot: the nations, politics etc. are more or less the same. But superheroes exist, and there are important reasons why their influence is not more widespread (there are alien beings working behind the scenes to erase the effects these larger-than-life figures have on society and history). The most famous member of the spandex gang is Tungusk, a kind of Superman-like figure, who crashlanded on Earth in Tunguska in 1908 and was raised by a Russian scientist to be a champion of Communism. (the two big iconic figures corresponding to Batman and Superman in this universe are both Russian, to make the tone different from the rather Amerocentric view that is prevalent in most comic book settings). A number of other heroes were active in the 1930s, many of them resembling characters from pulps or early comic books. Mankind fought a B-movie style war against alien invaders in the 1950s - this features in 'Duels'.

"In 1960s a group of time travellers from the future called the Vanir arrived: they were first hailed as the heralds of a new golden era, but they were too few to make much of an impact apart from getting into the good old crime-fighting business. The descendants of the Vanir and the older super generation are the ones wearing the capes and masks now: Nhawk, in the first bit in 'Duels', is one of them.

"Finally, there are places I call 'unreal cities': they are places that somehow personify an attribute (like superheroes tend to do, in human form) - among others, Kosmograd, Noche City and Heliopolis which are mentioned in the stories."

As always with these threads, there's something I have to ask if anyone's seen. It's a fic somewhere online about a Superman-type hero found in a field as an infant by farmers - one's an alcoholic and one sleeps around, but they clean up their acts for the sake of the kid. He grows up to become a superhero and occasionally fights a Lex Luthorish scientist who accuses him of impeding societal progress. Eventually, the hero flies off into space once everyone he knows dies, returning occasionally to Earth as he feels drawn back, to defend it, or rule it, or just wander it in obscurity; his longest and last stay is when he falls in love with a woman who he meets at a restaurant, when she's the first in all those thousands of years to cook as well as his mother. Eventually, he lives to the end of the universe, where he finds himself rocketing back through time and de-aging, crash-landing in a field and completing the time-loop. If anyone could point me in a direction with this, it'd be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 12-27-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    Buh-bye

Pale Horse

A take on the time of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? - for me personally, the definitive epic conclusion to that tale - warning - this has dark themes and a definite tilt towards my favorite pairing.- written by an author who IMO has written some of the best fan fiction out there

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Pale Horse

A take on the time of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? - for me personally, the definitive epic conclusion to that tale - warning - this has dark themes and a definite tilt towards my favorite pairing.- written by an author who IMO has written some of the best fan fiction out there
    i dare to say that most of the stories from him are great (even the ones outside the smww pairing)

i really liked In The Shadows

another good story is And Then They Were Two
    Last edited by Agniwolf; 12-29-2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: correct link

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    i dare to say that most of the stories from him are great (even the ones outside the smww pairing)

i really liked In The Shadows

another good story is And Then They Were Two
    Agreed! wentworth360 is by far my favorite FanFic author. Some of my favorites of his are actually the random/crack-ship ones like his Superman/Zatanna stories or the Superman/Catwoman one.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Agreed! wentworth360 is by far my favorite FanFic author. Some of my favorites of his are actually the random/crack-ship ones like his Superman/Zatanna stories or the Superman/Catwoman one.
    IMHO if the guy(i guess?) was a comic book writer we would be getting some really high grade comics, maybe even the purists would start to think out of the box

im still waiting for hellacre to post his stories here i really liked them

So this'll probably get me put on a few people's "lists," but screw it. For those of you who like smut I highly recommend Superman F**** Gotham The author has no qualms about what this story is and it's also funny as all hell. The framing story is something of a meta-commentary on current DC comics that (despite the fact that I enjoy a lot of modern DC) is really hilarious and poignant.

Just to give everyone a taste of the humor, here is an exert from the first chapter. SFW

The Daily Planet was buzzing with activity when Clark Kent received the phone call that changed his life forever. He was juggling three different reports on the unusually violent outbreaks while also taking another phone call and wrangling the photographers. Normally he wouldn't have answered, but the call came on his special phone.

Only his closest allies had access to that phone. They usually contacted him directly, but he wanted to have an alternate channel in case emergencies came up. He disengaged from his other work and accepted the call.

"Clark." It was Bruce Wayne's voice, rougher than usual.

"This isn't the best time, Bruce. Unless-"

"I don't have long left to live, Clark. Shut up and listen for once."

Clark let go of his phone. By the time it started to drop, he had left the building and abandoned his civilian clothes. In the time it took the phone to fall, he arced into the atmosphere and flew halfway to Gotham City.

As he flew, Clark began scanning through the city for any sign of Bruce. It wasn't much of a search. The very first place he looked was the Batcave, and he found his friend lying there at the end of a trail of blood. He hesitated for a split second, searching for any sign of a trap, but there was only one heartbeat in all of Wayne Manor.

He smashed straight through the earth, plunging into the Batcave and landing beside Bruce. His rib cage was bloody and filled with shrapnel, wounds that would have killed an ordinary man. Batman chuckled.

"You shouldn't have come here."

"Who did this to you?" Clark knelt beside him but didn't dare lift him for fear of making the injury worse. His mind raced for solutions but came up with nothing.

"It's too late for you to do anything. Just listen to me."

"Too late? We have a thousand aliens' advanced technology! We have fucking magic! You can't die fr-"

"Shut up, Clark!" Bruce scowled at him until he went quiet. "Listen carefully. You remember how you asked me to investigate why your powers fluctuate wildly?"

"That's... that doesn't matter right now!"

"It matters more than you know. This may be difficult to believe, but listen to me." Bruce closed his eyes and gathered his remaining strength. "Our universe is controlled by impossibly powerful extra-dimensional beings who call themselves 'Writers.' We're nothing more than their playthings.

"Some outside force, likely something we cannot even comprehend, changes how the Writers manipulate our world. That's why your powers vary. When certain Writers are in control, you are a living god, but other Writers weaken you substantially. I have no idea why."

"Bruce, you're not making any sense."

"Dammit, listen to me! The Writers are making our world darker. Grittier. We need to adapt, or I'll be far from the only casualty."

Clark clenched his fists, fingers tearing through the stone of the Batcave's floor. "These Writers did this to you?"

"Not directly." Bruce took a slow, painful breath. "But they created a terrorist bombing and somehow blinded me so that I didn't notice any of the warning signs. That's why you can't save me - it only happened to kill me in the first place."

"The Batman dies in a terrorist bombing? That's... that's stupid."

"No, Clark, it's edgy."

For a long time he knelt on the ground, helpless. Not Superman, just a mortal helpless to save his best friend. As he watched Bruce bleed out on the ground, rage started to rise within him. His eyes glowed red, and at that moment a black-clad fist grabbed the front of his suit.

"Listen! My control won't last much longer, so I'm out of time to explain. You're the only one who has a chance of saving us, but if you go into this acting like a boy scout it will get even worse. I've only pieced together what I know over the past few days, so fragments should still be around Gotham. You have to keep the city safe to find... find..."

"Bruce?" Clark knelt closer. His friend was still breathing, yet something had changed. His eyes became bloodshot and his jaw unshaven. Abruptly he sneered.

"I'm the goddamn Batman!"

"...goodbye, Bruce."

Clark slowly rose to his feet. The heartbeat and breathing continued for several seconds after that, but his friend was already gone.