Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Howard the Duck appreciation 2018

I've been a fan of Steve Gerber's legendary creation who is one of Marvel's funniest and weirdest anthro characters ever for 31 years since i read the comics in back issues from comic stores and i liked the movie (despite it was panned) as i saw that in theaters when i was 5 as it's a guilty pleasure of mine as Lea was great casting as Beverly Switzler and hot as hell too. He's always been one of my fave Marvel characters ever and like how he made a comeback in Marvel comics, Marvel Lego and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think this character influenced Duckman all the way.

BANNED

Happy 40th anniversary 616 Beverly Switzler!!!!! 1976-2016

Howard the Barbarian meets Beverly Switzler from Howard the Duck #1 Cover-date January 1976. An alternative take.

BANNED

Meet Beverly Switzler

Unquestionably the most important supporting “hairless ape” in the Howard the Duck universe, Howard stumbles upon the beautiful model Beverly Switzler when scaling a tower made of credit cards so he could jump off the top and kill himself. Instead, he decides to bust out Beverly, who is being held captive by an evil magician accountant (as if there is any other kind of evil accountant) named Pro-Rata. If any of this sounds patently absurd to you, welcome to the world of Steve Gerber’s Howard the Duck.

Beverly ends up staying by Howard’s side as a friend and confidant for the majority of Gerber’s run on the series. Despite her pronounced beauty, Howard’s relationship with her never seems to extend beyond something very platonic — which, even in Gerber’s bizarre world, makes sense since Howard’s a duck and Beverly is a human being. Still, her introduction in Howard’s first solo issue is a perfect demonstration of just how off the wall Howard the Duck would wind up being. In how many comic books is the beautiful human the sidekick to the foul-mouthed duck?
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 05-30-2016 at 05:31 AM.

BANNED

Howard and Spider-Man Team Up

Playing off the premise that Gerber’s Howard the Duck was not going to be your typical superhero comic book series, Howard is paired off with the amazing Spider-Man in his battle against Pro-Rata. But instead of doing the predictable “heroes meet and then go fight the bad guy together” storyline, Gerber and artist Frank Brunner depict what is more likely to happen when if a talking duck and a superhero dressed up in red and blue spandex were to cross paths. Spidey acts shocked and surprised that a creature like Howard actually exists, while Howard points out the obvious when he tells Spider-Man, “you’re not exactly Mr. Normal either y’know.”

The Howard/Spider-Man exchange sets the tone for a series that would provide some very smart and insightful commentary about the modern state of superhero comic books. It’s meta and self-aware in a way few other comics were at this point in the medium’s history.

Invincible Member

I bought the first two issues of the pre Secret Wars reboot. It just isn't the same.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Howard the Barbarian meets Beverly Switzler from Howard the Duck #1 Cover-date January 1976. An alternative take.
    He sure was a lucky duck to score with a hottie like her and Lea Thompson eh?

BANNED

He sure was!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    He sure was a lucky duck to score with a hottie like her and Lea Thompson eh?
    I would gladly be turned into a duck if I could spend a night with 1980's Lea Thompson.

Beverly!! Can't wait till we see her again June 8th.

Chip has me worried she's really dead though.

Memories.. Love these two.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    He sure was!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolZed View Post
    I would gladly be turned into a duck if I could spend a night with 1980's Lea Thompson.
    We all would and Lea still is hot as middle age and quite a MILF too, she was great casting as Beverly and every young man's fantasy in the 80s including me as she was one of my first crushes since i saw Back to the Future in theaters at age 4 even Red Dawn on HBO to seeing HTD in theaters at age 5, hell i even thought that topless duck chick in the film was hot too.
    Last edited by TomServofan; 11-09-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Is it me or did Howard lose some of his luster once they put pants on him?

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Is it me or did Howard lose some of his luster once they put pants on him?

Well Disney does own Marvel now as they were once sued by Disney for Donald Duck copying and now he gets a chance back now that Marvel owned by Disney.

Mighty Member

Lea Thompson was drawn in a recent Howard comic as an in-joke.

About the latest issue.

spoilers:
    Also, I was thinking Bev is a mutant. But then I re read what the sentinel said and that it goes after all super powered people so I guess she could be inhuman.
    end of spoilers

Thoughts?

Also, all the Bev/Howard was great.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    About the latest issue.

spoilers:
    Also, I was thinking Bev is a mutant. But then I re read what the sentinel said and that it goes after all super powered people so I guess she could be inhuman.
    end of spoilers

Thoughts?

Also, all the Bev/Howard was great.
    Perhaps so indeed.

And would you too like to see a MCU Howard film even him in Guardians 3?