Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The Son of Satan actually had earlier appearances around issue 24. Something to do with the Sons of the Serpent as villains.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The Son of Satan actually had earlier appearances around issue 24. Something to do with the Sons of the Serpent as villains.
    It's been a long time since I had those issues, but Luke guest starred in that story as well.

And nobody asked, but Yellowjacket was there too.

The first Edition Marvel Handbook lists Daimon's first joining in Giant-Size Defenders #2 (cover date Oct 1974, out the same month as Defenders #16).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The first Edition Marvel Handbook lists Daimon's first joining in Giant-Size Defenders #2 (cover date Oct 1974, out the same month as Defenders #16).
    Yeah, but I don't think GS#2 was out then.

I think it was in the early 20's issue-- maybe issue 22-23 when GS#2 was out.

#16 was Powerman for 3 issues and then a MTIO tie-in, then a solo story sort of debuting in the shadows the Headmen and their "Black Rain".

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yeah, but I don't think GS#2 was out then.

I think it was in the early 20's issue-- maybe issue 22-23 when GS#2 was out.

#16 was Powerman for 3 issues and then a MTIO tie-in, then a solo story sort of debuting in the shadows the Headmen and their "Black Rain".
    Mike's Amazing World has Giant Size Defenders listed as released on July 9, 1974. One week before Defenders #16.

The actual Handbook wasn't much help in confirming this because it has him slotted between Nighthawk (#15) and Red Guardian (#36), which leaves a lot of space.

Doing some looking over here, also mentions a July 1974 release.

As an aside, while the Handbook lists him joining in Giant-Size #2, everything I've read about the issue (I haven't read it, myself) mentions him as a guest-star.
    So the editor of the Handbook may have retroactively said he joined in that issue, although he may not have technically joined until later in #24.

And with the Defenders being the kind of non-team it was, it's kinda hard to judge when someone officially joined unless they stuck around for several issues.

Doing some more digging, I found on Google Books, a preview of Masterworks #3 (I only have the first two volumes), that has the Introduction by Roy Thomas. On the second page of the introduction, Thomas mentions, "Defenders #17 went on sale not long after GSD #2"
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-18-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I guess they may consider Damon a guest-star because he only appeared for a few issues/GS#2 before not being seen in the book for another 70 or so issues.

GS#2 could have come out around issue #16, I guess, because it would have been an independent story. If it was tied into the Sepents in the early 20's issues, then it would have come out around the time of those issues.

I am only going off of memory, but I know #16 was the conclusion of the Brotherhood/Alpha the Ultimate story, #17 was Power Man, #18/#19 had the Wrecking Crew, #20 was the conclusion to Val's search to find her past and #21 had "Black Rain" turning the masses in the city into rampaging beasts.

Here is the Marvel Appendix profile on Damion its pretty extensive http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/hellstormdaimon.htm

BANNED

Secret Defenders #1 Mar 1993
    "A Gathering of Heroes" starring Dr. Strange, Wolverine, Spider-Woman,Nomad and Darkhawk
    Dr. Strange gathers a group of four heroes to Phoenix, Arizona

and forms the first team of Secret Defenders;

The new Defenders foil a bank robbery but are flummoxed when one of the robbers ages and dies in his cell.

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Andre Coates, inks by Don Hudson.

BANNED

Defenders #5 Apr 1973
    World Without End?
    While walking the streets of Greenwich Village, Valkyrie tries to make sense of where her life is supposed to go.
    After she stops a bunch of hooded thieves from mugging her, she returns to Dr. Strange's sanctum for advice on how to deal with her aggressiveness towards men.
    Suggesting that perhaps her first step in dealing peacefully with men would be to seek it with her comrades,
    Strange hands her two crystals that will allow her to find the location of both the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk.

Finding Namor at the home of Betty Prentiss visiting his cousin Namorita, Val is scolded by Namor for intruding.

While explaining that the Defenders are not an ordinary team, the Sub-Mariner is suddenly transported away.
    Realizing the crystal is still tracking Namor, Val and Namorita decide to go and pick up the Hulk before going after him.
    However, when the two get to the Hulk, the Hulk in his misplaced rage attacks.
    During his initial strike he too is transported away.

Val and Namorita then decide to find out where they were transported.

They are brought to the location where the Defenders previously fought the computer the Omegatron.
    There the computer captures the two and informs them in spite of the fact that it's trapped in a bubble of slower time it still will end up finishing it's countdown and destroy the Earth.
    The computer informs them that all it need do after the countdown is speak it's masters name.

When Val and Namorita try to stop it, the computer sends duplicates of the Hulk and Sub-Mariner to try and stop them.
    Aragorn is able to identify the originals, which dispels the duplicates, leaving just the mind-controlled Defenders.
    The Valkyrie manages to fight them off. When the Omegatron reaches zero it breaks free of it's computer housing in a gigantic humanoid form.
    However before it can speak it's masters name, Val chops it's head off, destroying it and saving the world.
    Afterwards, while the dimwitted Hulk hops away angry, Namor tells her that she has shown her true bravery.

Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin

Didn't realise Namorita was introduced that early. Considering she's a clone (of Namor's other cousin Namora), I always assumed she hadn't been around for more than a few years when New Warriors launched.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't realise Namorita was introduced that early. Considering she's a clone (of Namor's other cousin Namora), I always assumed she hadn't been around for more than a few years when New Warriors launched.
    Oh, no. She has been around for quite some!

Like Jean Grey, it took Namorita a long time for all her strength to manifest. At this time, 1 ton, about about 7-8 years after this appearance Namorita could lift 3 tons. Later, she would increase to 10 tons, then 25 tons for the period of New Warriors. Many years later, she would climb to 75 tons.

Hellstrom was part of the Last Defenders team that showed up in the Initiative era.

BANNED

To me one godawful era.

BANNED

Secret Defenders #2 Apr 1993
    "Second Chance" starring Dr. Strange, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Nomad and Darkhawk
    Wolvie and Spider-Woman have a hard time battling Dreadlox,

a woman who can make them experience their darkest fears.

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Andre Coates, inks by Don Hudson.

I really liked the idea of the Secret Defenders but the comic itself was very lackluster.