Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT James Noel "Jim" Mooney!!!

BANNED

Talking Happy 45th Anniversary 616 ORIGINAL Defenders!!! 1972-2017

The Defenders #1 Aug 1972
    Slay By The Stars!
    Necrodamus attempts to sacrifice Namor to The Nameless One;

Also, Omegatron starts its countdown again.

Hulk, Dr. Strange, and Sub-Mariner begin. See Marvel Feature for first Defenders. Also see Sub-Mariner # 34 & 35

Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    The defenders have often been the most powerful team. The big four of Hulk, Namor, Strange, and Surfer are hard to beat for raw power. The nature of the team pretty much makes whoever fought with them a Defender so that includes most of the 70's- 90's characters.
    The roster went through a lot of shifting, but certainly anytime they had Strange and Surfer, they were easily the most powerful team on earth. I guess the big exception might be when Phoenix was on the X-men. Course, I think Avengers 1 mill bc are ready to take that "most powerful" team label away.

Ultimate Member

While the Hulk, Namor, Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer were certainly the 'big four' heavy hitters of the team, I always liked that they also had room for characters that weren't getting a lot of play outside of the Defenders, and weren't quite as powerful, ranging from Valkyrie, Hellstrom, Dr. Druid and Gargoyle, at the higher end, to Nightwing, Devil-Slayer, Andromeda and Hellcat, at the lower end. (And Moondragon, obviously, but she's past the 'upper tier' and probably belongs with the 'big four' having 'feats' like mind-controlling an entire planet, stopping Thor's hammer with her telekinesis, and piercing Galactus' mental shields with her telepathy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While the Hulk, Namor, Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer were certainly the 'big four' heavy hitters of the team, I always liked that they also had room for characters that weren't getting a lot of play outside of the Defenders, and weren't quite as powerful, ranging from Valkyrie, Hellstrom, Dr. Druid and Gargoyle, at the higher end, to Nightwing, Devil-Slayer, Andromeda and Hellcat, at the lower end. (And Moondragon, obviously, but she's past the 'upper tier' and probably belongs with the 'big four' having 'feats' like mind-controlling an entire planet, stopping Thor's hammer with her telekinesis, and piercing Galactus' mental shields with her telepathy!)
    Yeah I think the second tier Defenders (Val, Kyle, Patsy) were in many ways the heart of the first book. They weren't the biggest starts or thr biggest guns, but for me they were the biggest draw. Once Kyle and Patsy were mostly phased out it was never the same.

Sutekh, I don't think Dick Grayson was a Defender, lol. You mean Nighthawk, not Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I always try to pick some comics to read in preparation of a Marvel product. For this, I am not reading Defenders in preparation of Defenders, for obvious reasons. However, I was thinking of reading some Patsy Walker stuff before season two of Jessica Jones. Are there any particularly noteworthy Hellcat stories in Defenders?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

You could read the current Defenders comic, which has the same team as the show. It's still in its first arc though.

As for Patsy, maybe her 2000 solo mini? It was just after she came back from the dead.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hellcat_Vol_1

After binge-watching the Netflix Defenders, I'm more convinced than ever that Marvel Knights would have been a much better name for the series.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The Defenders #1 Aug 1972
    Slay By The Stars!
    Necrodamus attempts to sacrifice Namor to The Nameless One;

Also, Omegatron starts its countdown again.

Hulk, Dr. Strange, and Sub-Mariner begin. See Marvel Feature for first Defenders. Also see Sub-Mariner # 34 & 35

Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia
    I loved the plot of evil Necrodamus! It was also great that Necrodamus looked exactly the same when he next appeared in the Avengers, both as old crone and as man-demon forms.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sutekh, I don't think Dick Grayson was a Defender, lol. You mean Nighthawk, not Nightwing.
    Oops. Yeah. Nightwing's cool, too, though.

I'd love to see more of those guys (and gals), no matter how crap I am at remembering their names.

Gosh, the pictures on this page of Dr. Strange in his old mask. So cool. I'd totally forgotten the mask!

Yeah, I loves me that old school stuff!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

yeah yeah yeah cool cool cool
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I always try to pick some comics to read in preparation of a Marvel product. For this, I am not reading Defenders in preparation of Defenders, for obvious reasons. However, I was thinking of reading some Patsy Walker stuff before season two of Jessica Jones. Are there any particularly noteworthy Hellcat stories in Defenders?
    I would actually reccomend The Avengers: The Serpent Crown Affair...it's where Patsy makes the transformation into a superhero.

I don't know the issues but there's a storyline in the Defenders that retcons/explains Patsy's past as a teen comedy/romance comic.

Before the Son of Satan ( Patsy's husband) becomes a regular is where I fell off. But they had a fun guest shot in West Coast Avengers.

There's a pretty fun Patsy solo adventure in Marvel Presents from the early 2000's.