Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    The micros were made by the community. Dozens of creators made thousand of them. and Dont worry we like to share them

Yeah i understand that but the way Marvel is pushing only the avengers and X-men books it could be the only way to have the defenders back :S
    That makes me sad, but it's probably true. Though ... I'm betting we will get a Netflix Defenders book -- which I still don't feel is the same thing.

Coolness! Thanks for sharing the micro-heroes!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    The original Defenders in the first 10 issues were the Mightiest, strongest, most powerful team of ALL time!
    Well, I'm not sure about of all time, but probably for their time. They certainly had no problem taking on the Avengers. Loved the Avengers Defenders War!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    I remember that > poor Stephen. For him to say shut up is pretty bad. And thanks for posting the link to the micro heroes. Those are so much fun and I had no idea that Moon Knight and Man Thing were once a part of this non-team (they make perfect sense though.)
    Namor and Hulk put him through the wringer in that mini-series ... and then Dormammu squeezed him even harder. But that series was meant to be over the top. I don't think Namor and Hulk pushed him that in most the other books.

Wow. Man-Thing. I missed that. Was it the Secret Defenders?

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I agree but I guess using Defenders allows for a new launching pad for other characters.
    I'm not sure I follow. You mean for adding characters more associated with the Defenders?

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    The whole for hire wording undercuts the superhero expectations for non readers. Marvel knights would work and given readers seem to have given up on the old versions I would rather the name be reinvented for this purpose than just left on a shelf. If it works I can see Moonknight joining before long maybe even Nighthawk.
    Hmmmm. I'm not sure about that, though I see your point. I think it's a concept the general public can embrace, as they've done with any number of supernatural types that are for hire. That said, Heroes for Hire is a more limited group / team (the last incarnation withstanding), whereas Marvel Knights can cover quite a few more characters, like your suggestions.

My problem is that I don't see the need for The Defenders to be reinvented. It's a great concept. As is Heroes 4 Hire. And Marvel Knights is a nice label. I think they are wasting a franchise opportunity by using Defenders for a team that is really something else, and equally valid. IOW, they are getting one franchise, instead of two

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

Namor and Hulk put him through the wringer in that mini-series ... and then Dormammu squeezed him even harder. But that series was meant to be over the top. I don't think Namor and Hulk pushed him that in most the other books.

Wow. Man-Thing. I missed that. Was it the Secret Defenders?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure about that, though I see your point. I think it's a concept the general public can embrace, as they've done with any number of supernatural types that are for hire. That said, Heroes for Hire is a more limited group / team (the last incarnation withstanding), whereas Marvel Knights can cover quite a few more characters, like your suggestions.

My problem is that I don't see the need for The Defenders to be reinvented. It's a great concept. As is Heroes 4 Hire. And Marvel Knights is a nice label. I think they are wasting a franchise opportunity by using Defenders for a team that is really something else, and equally valid. IOW, they are getting one franchise, instead of two
    Yes on all of the bolded. Poor Stephen, still that was pretty darn funny.

Marvel Knights, I like that so much better for these characters. Strikes me strange that they would give up on having two distinct teams... ah well.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    I loved the New Defenders run where Angel, Iceman, and Beast joined the team. It's why I love those three characters so much.
    Loved that run, too. It was great to see them get the spotlight.

Man-thing was never a member. Maybe you can count him as a allie in #98 of the first run but nothing more.
    Last edited by joebleau; 05-18-2014 at 12:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by elgrey View Post
    Loved that run, too. It was great to see them get the spotlight.
    I picked up the trade collection when it came out a couple of years ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Yes on all of the bolded. Poor Stephen, still that was pretty darn funny.

Marvel Knights, I like that so much better for these characters. Strikes me strange that they would give up on having two distinct teams... ah well.
    Exactly my thought.

Defenders Indefensible was hilarious. I know some folks didn't like it, but I thought it was a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Man-thing was never a member. Maybe you can count him as a allie in #98 of the first run but nothing more.
    Okay, I didn't remember him in the first run, but I don't remember the later issues that well.

BANNED

I love how the Defenders are eyeballing each other in this piece by Doc Shaner.

Still waiting for vol.2.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Still waiting for vol.2.

Peace
    I hear you. I wish Marvel collections would finish what they start. I'm still waiting on Bryne's Namor Visionaries volume 3. It would also be great if they turned the OP Essentials into the Epic line.

Ultimate Member

That was a great lineup. Valkyrie and Moondragon were both heavy hitters. The Defenders, like the X-Men, rarely lacked for strong (and strong-willed!) women.

Gargoyle was also an interesting character that never seemed to find a niche anywhere else, unlike most of the other Defenders, who were poached from X-Men or Avengers lineups (or, like Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange, able to carry their own title on occasion).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That was a great lineup. Valkyrie and Moondragon were both heavy hitters. The Defenders, like the X-Men, rarely lacked for strong (and strong-willed!) women.

Gargoyle was also an interesting character that never seemed to find a niche anywhere else, unlike most of the other Defenders, who were poached from X-Men or Avengers lineups (or, like Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange, able to carry their own title on occasion).
    I'm not surprised Gargoyle didn't find a niche elsewhere, since the MU seems uniformly pretty. <wink> But he did get a mini-series back in the 80s, I think.

Hmmm. I hadn't really thought of it, but yes, the Defenders usually had a good line up of women. Val has always been one of my favorites.

I think this line up got some flack for being mostly X-Men / Champions, but it's an intriguing mix.

There's a Defenders reunion coming up in July's Silver Surfer #5--the Surfer, Dr. Strange, and Hulk team up to fight Shuma-Gorath!

Cover: http://i60.tinypic.com/zo9hdx.jpg

SILVER SURFER #5
    DAN SLOTT (W) • MICHAEL ALLRED (A/C)
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ARTIST VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    • The demon, Shuma Gorath, is ready to cast the Earth into Eternal Chaos!
    The problem is, if the Silver Surfer, the Hulk, and Dr. Strange CAN find a way to stop him...
    • ...it’s Dawn Greenwood who will have to pay the price... with her life.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BANNED

Awesome news! Definitely looking forward to that!

BANNED

Corner boxes! The nifty art in the top left corner that told you what the comic was, when they were displayed overlapping each other on the news stand.

This is a trading card insert, which means it is only 2.5 x 3.5 inches in size, and fairly rare, as they didn't come in every box. It's actually a patch stuck between two pieces of plastic. IIRC, it's from the Marvel Premiere set.

This is a re-imagining of the Defenders Corner Box by Jess Harold. It's from a cool site that posts modern takes on Corner Boxes, called, appropriately, Cornered.

http://corneredblog.blogspot.co.uk/2....a8pVirtW.dpuf

But the real find today, was article from The Defenders Fansite showing most of the Corner Boxes from the first run of Defenders. There are several, cause it would change as the roster changed.

http://defendersfan.blogspot.com/200...er-pocket.html