Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    I would be really curious to know a few examples of documents cases of white heterosexual discrimination in the contemporary society, after all, if this phenomenon exists, it has to happen, it can't be only in your mind right? Tell us of some guy shot because white, or fired because gay. Young heterosexuals bullied because of their sexual orientation. People almost systematically excluded by certain type of jobs because they are caucasian.

Tell us about cases of rights negated to white people, or heterosexual people in general. Can you list such examples? Otherwise, what you are talking about? Semantics? Oh yes, sure, everyone could be discriminated. Sadly, this doesn't mean anything. It's like your stance is "potentially, anything possible could happen".
    I am obviously talking about Western countries here. USA, Canada, Europe. Publisher is american, characters are american, creators are american, readers are american, people discussing on this forum mainly form western countries. In our nations white or heterosexual discrimination doesn't exists, as I said. So american people criticizing american people who choose to read a character because the character makes them feel represented in some way in a society that often is against them, he is clearly talking out of his ass don't you think? If what I am looking for is character that represents me, that I can feel connected to (an experience that probably self-centeded white heterosexuals ignore, because they are over represented), and I discover that character it's not what I thought, I am not intolerant because I choose not to read his book. Saying "I would like to read about a gay character because I am gay" it's totally different than saying "I don't want to read an heterosexual character". It's incredible that something so clear should be explained, don't you think?
    You actually weren't. You were talking about white people and straight people.

White or heterosexual discrimination doesn't exists. Deal with it.
    Oops.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.

All-New Member

How exactly is anything you are saying at all connected to the topic penthotal? Are we debating if white people can be discriminated against now? In a topic about hyperion getting a book? I would stop replying but i'm honestly finding it quite amusing how you keep digging yourself a deeper hole. What exactly is your point? what way is he talking "out of his ass?"

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

So is Hyperion going to be shown as being gay in this new series?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    No one knows for sure. Some think he might be gay because he showed interest in raising children and was close friends with Thor. However, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-24-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    No one knows for sure. Some think he might be gay because he showed interest in raising children and was close friends with Thor. However, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
    Not to mention that the gay Avenger in Hickman's run was Pod, apparently. And you'd think they'd want to highlight his gayness upon announcement? But we'll see.

The book as is sounds good, though. A fatherly physical god trying to learn more about his new children's in the heartland of America. I imagine many there will not take kindly to him, which should be interesting.

Invincible Member

Marvel hasn't said either way. As someone suggested, this line of thought got started because during Hickman's no-adjective Avengers he stated that one of the new members would be gay, so some fans speculated that it might be Hyperion. It turned out that it was a different character. However, since Hype's sexuality was never conformed one way or another, a couple people in this thread thought it might be interesting if he did turn out to be gay after all and could be Marvel's first ongoing starring such a character. It's just fan speculation, it's not based on anything the company has stated...

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Trident, I understand what you're saying, my friend, and while it's true that whether you buy a book because the character is gay or don't buy a book because the character is gay, either way, you are still making your decision based on the character's sexuality. That is a factual statement, but I don't think it's fair to say that they are equally bad, because the spirit and the reason behind the decision matters, and not just whether or not the character's sexuality was a factor in their decision.

Imagine for a moment that someone lives in Denver, and Marvel launches a new series with a hero from Denver. People in Denver would be more likely to pick the title up, because they can relate to it and they are interested in what it is. On the other hand, a person could learn there is a new title announced that they find interesting, but then decide not to get it after learning it's set in Mexico, because they have a distaste for Mexicans. Both people in this example are making determinations about whether or not to buy a book based on the character's geographic origin, but one I would say is acceptable, while the other is prejudicial. I think there's an important distinction between being drawn to something because it's relatable or familiar and rejecting something because it's different in a specific way.

For another example, someone might not be drawn to Spider-Man if it had been launched with him in China originally, and maybe they didn't find that interesting. Or maybe someone's an existing fan of Spider-Man who just doesn't find the story of him setting up in China interesting and chooses not to get the book. This is the comparison you're using, and you're right if someone just, for whatever reason, doesn't find the new story of a character interesting, and part of that is because the character is gay, then that is not a bigoted decision. But if someone decides not to pick up the book, despite being a Spider-Man fan, because they have a problem with Chinese people, then that is obviously not OK. Likewise, if they are not only, not attracted, but repulsed by the idea that the character a character is gay, then that is a prejudicial decision. So I don't think it's black and white to say that all decisions made based on sexuality are equal. Some are bad, some are acceptable. It depends on the spirit and the reasoning behind the decision.
    Last edited by idisestablish; 10-24-2015 at 08:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Trident, I understand what you're saying, my friend, and while it's true that whether you buy a book because the character is gay or don't buy a book because the character is gay, either way, you are still making your decision based on the character's sexuality. That is a factual statement, but I don't think it's fair to say that they are equally bad, because the spirit and the reason behind the decision matters, and not just whether or not the character's sexuality was a factor in their decision.

Imagine for a moment that someone lives in Denver, and Marvel launches a new series with a hero from Denver. People in Denver would be more likely to pick the title up, because they can relate to it and they are interested in what it is. On the other hand, a person could learn there is a new title announced that they find interesting, but then decide not to get it after learning it's set in Mexico, because they have a distaste for Mexicans. Both people in this example are making determinations about whether or not to buy a book based on the character's geographic origin, but one I would say is acceptable, while the other is prejudicial. I think there's an important distinction between being drawn to something because it's relatable or familiar and rejecting something because it's different in a specific way.

For another example, someone might not be drawn to Spider-Man if it had been launched with him in China originally, and maybe they didn't find that interesting. Or maybe someone's an existing fan of Spider-Man who just doesn't find the story of him setting up in China interesting and chooses not to get the book. This is the comparison you're using, and you're right if someone just, for whatever reason, doesn't find the new story of a character interesting, and part of that is because the character is gay, then that is not a bigoted decision. But if someone decides not to pick up the book, despite being a Spider-Man fan, because they have a problem with Chinese people, then that is obviously not OK. Likewise, if they are not only, not attracted, but repulsed by the idea that the character a character is gay, then that is a prejudicial decision. So I don't think it's black and white to say that all decisions made based on sexuality are equal. Some are bad, some are acceptable. It depends on the spirit and the reasoning behind the decision.
    I understand what your saying and for the most part agree. But in the context of this conversation .....if someone decides that they will pick up the title based on sexuality another person can choose not to for the same reason. I personally, don't care either way and will only get the book if the story will interest me. But posters on this forum can not claim someone else is being bigoted if that particular person is no longer interested in a title they do not feel they can relate to. Never mentioned distaste or hate of any kind.

Person A feels they can relate to gay characters and will only get certain books if they are gay.

Person B feels they can relate to straight characters and will only get certain book if they are straight.

There is no difference in that line of thinking. Instead both peoples core buying decisions should be quality title with everything else being a added bonus.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I understand what your saying and for the most part agree. But in the context of this conversation .....if someone decides that they will pick up the title based on sexuality another person can choose not to for the same reason. I personally, don't care either way and will only get the book if the story will interest me. But posters on this forum can not claim someone else is being bigoted if that particular person is no longer interested in a title they do not feel they can relate to. Never mentioned distaste or hate of any kind.

Person A feels they can relate to gay characters and will only get certain books if they are gay.

Person B feels they can relate to straight characters and will only get certain book if they are straight.

There is no difference in that line of thinking. Instead both peoples core buying decisions should be quality title with everything else being a added bonus.
    I agree and that's what I was getting at, really I think you and Kieran are both right and really agree with each other more than you both think. It's just a matter of the way you're interpreting each other and the phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Not to mention that the gay Avenger in Hickman's run was Pod, apparently. And you'd think they'd want to highlight his gayness upon announcement? But we'll see.

The book as is sounds good, though. A fatherly physical god trying to learn more about his new children's in the heartland of America. I imagine many there will not take kindly to him, which should be interesting.
    Eh. Marvel has never been much for highlighting anyone's gayness. Whenever a gay character of theirs gets any media coverage, it's been because the fanbase made it a thing. Marvel themselves simply don't support LGBT characters in the press the way they've done for others.

As for Pod, she was clearly just thrown in by Hickman at the last minute. There's no way she was the character Hickman was talking about. I'm not saying Hyperion is, but Pod sure wasn't. And if Hyperion is now going to be gay, that might not have been up to Hickman. Maybe the new writer got to write Hyperion and decided with no established sexuality, he might make a great character to be gay.

No one on here has ever objected to a person not reading a book with gay person because they couldn't relate to them. Only when someone has stated they wouldn't read a gay character because they can't stand gay characters.
    Your entire argument is a false equivalency.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-24-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: rude

Clearly you still don't understand because you have ignored idisestablish just said.

Kieren is saying "if Hyperion was gay, I would be more interested in the book." The counterpart to that is "if Hyperion is gay I would not be any more interested in the book."

It is not, as you are suggesting, "I would be interested in this book if Hyperion wasn't gay."

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Kieren is saying "if Hyperion was gay, I would be more interested in the book." The counterpart to that is "if Hyperion is gay I would not be any more interested in the book."

It is not, as you are suggesting, "I would be interested in this book if Hyperion wasn't gay."
    Exactly; you hit the nail on the head.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Question

Personally I don't know what anyone is saying about what or who or why in this thread anymore!

Personally I don't know what anyone is saying about what or who or why in this thread anymore!
    Yeah... the actual discussion going in in the thread at this point doesn't really have a whole lot to do with anything the article on Hyperion was really discussing.

But that's sort of how these threads work sometimes I guess.

So what city is Hyperion going to be based in? Hopefully somewhere rarely featured in the Marvel USA.