Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post

Never thought about Magik actually - you actually have a point that her sexuality is undefined as well. Gillen recently wrote her as lesbian, but that was an alternate universe version, so we can't really count that.

Huh. Might actually make sense... She's only ever seemed to be emotionally interested in others, but never really sexually. Not even as Darkchylde.

In the original New Mutants series, she often showed to be into boys.

It's hard to tell with her, because part of her character is to keep people away. Especially after her "resurrection". She doesn't consider herself full human and think she can only hurt people close to her.
    So if she seems asexual, it may be by choice, and not because it's what she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    I agree that it would be an especially interesting take on the character, but I still selfishly want him to be gay.
    Agreed. Plus should Marvel really push (as a priority) for their first asexual solo comic before their first gay solo comic?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed. Plus should Marvel really push (as a priority) for their first asexual solo comic before their first gay solo comic?
    Whatever better/best serves the narrative?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Spectacular Member

I think that is a negative and harmful way to look at it. Marvel should publish whichever books get the best pitch first, or serve the narrative the best. We shouldn't restrict a solo based on an asexual or a transgender etc. character because a gay character "should" get one first. Gay people aren't the only under-represented minority group in the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbledarber View Post
    I think that is a negative and harmful way to look at it. Marvel should publish whichever books get the best pitch first, or serve the narrative the best. We shouldn't restrict a solo based on an asexual or a transgender etc. character because a gay character "should" get one first. Gay people aren't the only under-represented minority group in the medium.
    Of course people who are truly asexual would love to see an truly asexual solo star; and if that's what they get, wonderful (though I do echo another poster that down the line a less skilled writer will probably just shack them up with a woman). Though personally I think the first gay solo comic is more important to do first (to give representation to the countless number of gay kids who seek and desire representation in a world that still, unbelievably, treats them appallingly). That's just me.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Spectacular Member

Of course people who are truly asexual would love to see an truly asexual solo star; and if that's what they get, wonderful (though I do echo another poster that down the line a less skilled writer will probably just shack them up with a woman). Though personally I think the first gay solo comic is more important to do first (to give representation to the countless number of gay kids who seek and desire representation in a world that still, unbelievably, treats them appallingly). That's just me.
    Do you think that asexual people don't face discrimination? Your logic doesn't really hold up, you're arguing against doing an asexual book because a homosexual one is more important to you. You don't seem to want broader representation, just representation of the group you personally belong to.

I want an ongoing with a gay character a lot. But writers shouldn't shy away from doing an asexual book first because of some sort of weird hierarchy of which marginalised group is "more important". In the meantime there is at least Ultimates with Miss America Chavez, New Avengers with Wiccan, Hulkling and Pod and Uncanny X-Men with Mystique at Marvel. Plus then there is Midnighter over at DC, and ongoing with a gay male lead, plus Teen Titans has Bunker and the recent arc of Detective Comics just reintroduced Renee Montoya. LGBT representation is around, there isn't much but there is some that can be supported.

Do you think that asexual people don't face discrimination? Your logic doesn't really hold up, you're arguing against doing an asexual book because a homosexual one is more important to you. You don't seem to want broader representation, just representation of the group you personally belong to.
    I support all diversity, of course; but I have a (understandable) bias toward LGBT rep. There's nothing wrong with that.

I want an ongoing with a gay character a lot. But writers shouldn't shy away from doing an asexual book first because of some sort of weird hierarchy of which marginalised group is "more important". In the meantime there is at least Ultimates with Miss America Chavez, New Avengers with Wiccan, Hulkling and Pod and Uncanny X-Men with Mystique at Marvel. LGBT representation is around, there isn't much but there is some that can be supported.
    There is LGBT rep. at Marvel; agreed. Could be better (certainly could be more supported by those higher up), but it's there.

I support all diversity, of course; but I have a (understandable) bias toward LGBT rep. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Sure. However, saying "My heart is with a gay solo title." is different than saying "A gay solo title is more important."

As for Gay/Straight/Asexual, I really do think that it depends on just what they are doing with the title. Where it's going when it comes to everything except the character's sexuality might dictate what his sexuality should be.

It's also worth pointing out that the article -

He’s supposed to be a father, a teacher, and he has all these precepts in mind for how he is supposed to be, but little practice or understanding as to what that means. He takes America and its people as his 'adopted children,' but that also means he has to get to know his, um, 'new kids.' So, we put him smack dab in the American heartland—in all its rust, corn and gun-fed glory—and see what happens."
    does seem like it might actually lend itself to a story about an asexual character.

They should do whatever the best story is. That's why I said it was a selfish desire on my part. They're bound to get around to a gay ongoing eventually, I've been waiting a long time, I can wait longer. Whereas an asexual will be unlikely to ever get one, so I could actually see that being more interesting. But I'll be fine with whatever orientation Hyperion is.