Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    From Wendig's "sexy motherf**ker" comment I believe that answers the question of Hyperion's sexuality. At this point it would be shocking if they make him straight.
    SQUEAL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    No. The reason people think/thought Hyperion is/was gay is because Hickman revealed one of his Avengers was LGBT. However, he did not identify who that was. During this, people theorized that it could by Hyperion. And then along come POD near the very end who was revealed to be a lesbian.
    Agreed; it began from speculation; and then posters noticed his sexuality hadn't yet been identified... and it spiralled... then we got Pod *sigh* I hope we're right about Hyperion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    In Hickman's series he repeatedly sees himself as a father figure, largely due to the training/indoctrination his own "father" provided him. The writer, according to the interview, seems to be using that characterization with Hyperion who again seems mankind as his adopted children.

So yeah, I think it would be very interesting to have a possibly gay, unapologetically godlike figure with a patriarchal leanings be based in a small town, perhaps conservative, midwestern setting. That's a heck of an elevator pitch.
    Man, when you put it like that = EPIC! Ohhhhhh, please be true, please be true

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Because some posters on CBR think or want every character in the Marvel U to be either gay or bisexual.
    Oh don't be silly. Name one poster who thinks every (or even most) Marvel characters are gay or bisexual. Just one.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    1) Marvel doesn't have an LGBT solo title currently and they've been aware about this for some time now
    Marvel actually has Angela as a LGBT solo title (narrated from Sera POV, who's a trans woman and Angela's consort), but she's aways under the radar. I agree with 2 to 4 and that Hyperion will probably be Marvel's first title with a gay male lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    Marvel actually has Angela as a LGBT solo title (narrated from Sera POV, who's a trans woman and Angela's consort), but she's aways under the radar. I agree with 2 to 4 and that Hyperion will probably be Marvel's first title with a gay male lead.
    They didn't really outed Angela, and we don't know if they will.
    I would love Hyperion solo title as an LGBT solo title because you know, most comic readers are guys who probably see lesbians as some kind of fetish or at least think is hot or something like that, an actual gay male would be more...bold. But to be honest, I like Angela more and really wanted her to be the first gay hero with a solo title, and you know, she and Sera...
    Well, anyway I'm now excited for Hyperion to be really gay, and would be disappointed if is not the case =X

Mighty Member

Ewing's on three books, and one of them isn't Hyperion? After crushing the .1 issue? Seems backward.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    They didn't really outed Angela, and we don't know if they will.
    I would love Hyperion solo title as an LGBT solo title because you know, most comic readers are guys who probably see lesbians as some kind of fetish or at least think is hot or something like that, an actual gay male would be more...bold. But to be honest, I like Angela more and really wanted her to be the first gay hero with a solo title, and you know, she and Sera...
    Well, anyway I'm now excited for Hyperion to be really gay, and would be disappointed if is not the case =X
    It's probably a good idea to keep your expectations in check here as far as Hyperions sexuality. While I think it's fun to consider the possibility, the evidece so far that it's actually the case is a bit on the weak side. At this point we probably shouldn't be expecting it to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's probably a good idea to keep your expectations in check here as far as Hyperions sexuality. While I think it's fun to consider the possibility, the evidece so far that it's actually the case is a bit on the weak side. At this point we probably shouldn't be expecting it to be the case.
    Ignore him Wiccan, allow yourself to get excited. It's better to live in a world hoping for the best, than plod through it never allowing yourself to get too excited, or hope too high. If he's not gay, yeah it'll be sad; but it will feel far better if he is gay and you had faith, than if you set your expecation low and get them confirmed right (it's a hollow victory). When Gillen had Wiccan/Hulkling take a break, some freaked out, I stuck to my guns and had faith in Gillen he'd bring them back together. It felt SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD when my faith was rewarded, and that reunion meant so much more because of it.

So hope, good sir, hope till there's no air left in soul.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-23-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I see this version of hyperion as more like Mon-El than Superman. Similar powers, being pulled out of a universe where everything was destroyed a "phantom zone" if you will, and having to adjust to a new life. I don't see him as gay, but if he was, eh, fine. If I accepted Rewind and Chromedome, I can accept him too.

BANNED

So I'm assuming that if Hyperion turns out not to be gay several in this thread won't be picking up the book?

Really not expecting an honest answer on that one but thats what the tone of this thread is sounding like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    So I'm assuming that if Hyperion turns out not to be gay several in this thread won't be picking up the book? .
    Probably not; no. And? I want a gay solo series and I'll give any solo series a try that give it to me. What's wrong with that???? Doesn't means I'll enjoy it blindly; but from what I've read on this character I like his stoic nature and his costume is visually cool. For a new character that is a pretty good start, I'd say. People pick up (or don't pick up) a comic for a whole heap of reasons.

I'm honest enough to admit it. Now your turn; why does it bother you if people don't pick it up if he isn't gay? What does it matter to you why someone does or does not pick up a comic? What's wrong with wanting to finally have a gay solo series at Marvel?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-23-2015 at 02:47 PM.

So I'm assuming that if Hyperion turns out not to be gay several in this thread won't be picking up the book?

Really not expecting an honest answer on that one but thats what the tone of this thread is sounding like.
    Well, kind of. People who already like the character and are really interested in him will most probably buy it with him being or not, like it is with every solo. But if it turns out he is, most people who want's to see LGBT characters in comics would probably buy for the representation and sympathize a lot more with him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Probably not; no. And? I want a gay solo series and I'll give any solo series a try that give it to me. What's wrong with that???? Doesn't means I'll enjoy it blindly; but from what I've read on this character I like his stoic nature and his costume is visually cool. For a new character that is a pretty good start, I'd say. People pick up (or don't pick up) a comic for a whole heap of reasons.

I'm honest enough to admit it. Now your turn; why does it bother you if people don't pick it up if he isn't gay? What does it matter to you why someone does or does not pick up a comic? I expect an equally honest answer.
    Well Kieran mostly because if someone choose not to pick it up the comic because he did happen to be gay many (with you leading the charge) would be implying or even being bold enough to say that they where bigots. Then a line of threads would pop up with people trying to get people banded.

If someone is truly interested in the character they will buy the title. THE END. Otherwise your just as bad at those who won't buy him if he is gay. It's not complicated and it is the same thing.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-23-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Well Kieran mostly because if someone choose not to pick it up because he did happen to be gay many (with you leading the charge) would be imply or even being bold enough to say that they where bigots. Then a line of threads would pop up with people trying to get people banded.
    There is a colossal difference between planning to get a comic based on the character, and then NOT purchasing it because the character is gay; and planning to get a comic IF the star is gay, and not purchasing it if the star isn't. Also, it's laughable to compare a desire to see representation in comics to open bigotry. I'm getting Daredevil, Black Panther and Black Knight; I clearly have no problem picking up str8 solo series. Someone who won't purchase a comic solely because of LGBT content isn't picking up any other LGBT comics (that's why their a bigot).

If someone is truly interested in the character they will buy the title. THE END.
    Firstly, let's remember who we are talking about. Hyperion is two years old in comics, and has very few stories really about him. It's a little early to say someone must be a well versed expect on the character to "justify" why (or why not) they should pick up his solo series. Secondly, people pick up a comic for a great many reasons. For me visuals matter a lot (his costumes cool, as is Nightmask; I was instantly drawn to the character because of it). But budget is a very understandable factor. I have money to buy the comics I want, and little more to give some comics a chance. I can't afford to try everything. And I want a gay solo star. Of course I would give Marvel's first ever gay solo star a chance (even though I don't know them that much). Why would I spend money on a comic not giving me what I want?

Otherwise your just as bad at those who won't buy him if he is gay. It's not complicated and it is the same thing.
    This still doesn't actually answer my question. I asked why YOU CARE why someone picks up a comic. Why it bothers you (SEE: below) This isn't about others, this is about you. I gave you a truthful, personal answer, it's only fair you return the favour; without side-stepping and avoiding the real question. Why do YOU care why we read Hyperion or not?

(ref. KIERAN FROST: why does it bother you if people don't pick it up if he isn't gay? What does it matter to you why someone does or does not pick up a comic? )
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-23-2015 at 03:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    There is a colossal difference between planning to get a comic based on the character, and then NOT purchasing it because the character is gay; and planning to get a comic IF the star is gay, and not purchasing it if the star isn't. Also, it's laughable to compare a desire to see representation in comics to open bigotry. I'm getting Daredevil, Black Panther and Black Knight; I clearly have no problem picking up str8 solo series. Someone who won't purchase a comic solely because of LGBT content isn't picking up any other LGBT comics (that's why their a bigot).

Firstly, let's remember who we are talking about. Hyperion is two years old in comics, and has very few stories really about him. It's a little early to say someone must be a well versed expect on the character to "justify" why (or why not) they should pick up his solo series. Secondly, people pick up a comic for a great many reasons. For me visuals matter a lot (his costumes cool, as is Nightmask; I was instantly drawn to the character because of it). But budget is a very understandable factor. I have money to buy the comics I want, and little more to give some comics a chance. I can't afford to try everything. And I want a gay solo star. Of course I would give Marvel's first ever gay solo star a chance (even though I don't know them that much). Why would I spend money on a comic not giving me what I want?
    There actually is no difference.

One minute you had money for a character that had your interest and you found out something that you didn't like and/or care about so you then all of sudden you no longer had the funds and/or interest in it. Reads like this : " This book would have been great if the protagonist wasn't Black."

or " Can't stand how gay this book is. Why do they have to kiss all the time?"

which is the same as this : "Man this straight white male should have been gay or replaced with a POC." it's the same thing but because it a straight white all of sudden it's ok.

(Speaking in Hypotheticals here for the slower and take things for face value posters)

To add you contradicted yourself quiet a few times in this post without realizing, which may or may not be the underlying reason you are not grasping what I stated in my earlier post.

This still doesn't actually answer my question. I asked why YOU CARE why someone picks up a comic. Why it bothers you (SEE: below) This isn't about others, this is about you. I gave you a truthful, personal answer, it's only fair you return the favour; without side-stepping and avoiding the real question. Why do YOU care why we read Hyperion or not?

(ref. KIERAN FROST: why does it bother you if people don't pick it up if he isn't gay? What does it matter to you why someone does or does not pick up a comic? )
    I actually did answer your question Kieran. Now whether you can comprehend my answer or if its simply not an answer you will accept that is entirely your problem.

I will repost what I said just in case you just skipped over it:
    Well Kieran mostly because if someone choose not to pick it up the comic because he did happen to be gay many (with you leading the charge) would be implying or even being bold enough to say that they where bigots. Then a line of threads would pop up with people trying to get people banded.

If someone is truly interested in the character they will buy the title. THE END. Otherwise your just as bad at those who won't buy him if he is gay. It's not complicated and it is the same thing.
    To spell it out for you, since you seem to need help with it, one form/type of discrimination doesn't supersede another. If you are interested in the character then get the book. If he turns out to be gay or not gay it shouldn't mater.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-23-2015 at 04:34 PM.

I always thought the character would be better off being asexual, which is kind of how I always read him. That's my personal opinion though. I'm more worried about the author being stereotypical about people in the Midwest, just because it's the lazy, easy thing to do. I'm sure at some point Hyperion will face off against gun-lovin', right-wing wackos, because those are obviously the only kind of people you meet in the Midwest. You know, not everyone in the Midwest is "rust, corn, and gun-fed".
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    From Wendig's "sexy motherf**ker" comment I believe that answers the question of Hyperion's sexuality. At this point it would be shocking if they make him straight.
    Straight people can be sexy too. I'd love if he was gay, and would actually pick this book up if he were (I don't care for the Squadron Supreme as a property, I do care for more LGBT characters) but I don't see how that comment in any way indicates his sexual orientation one way or another.