Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    There actually is no difference.

One minute you had money for a character that had your interest and you found out something that you didn't like and/or care about so you then all of sudden you no longer had the funds and/or interest in it. Reads like this : " This book would have been great if the protagonist wasn't Black."

or " Can't stand how gay this book is. Why do they have to kiss all the time?"

which is the same as this : "Man this straight white male should have been gay or replaced with a POC." it's the same thing but because it a straight white all of sudden it's ok.

(Speaking in Hypotheticals here for the slower and take things for face value posters)

To add you contradicted yourself quiet a few times in this post without realizing, which may or may not be the underlying reason you are not grasping what I stated in my earlier post.
    It's a shame you don't understand the (what I would call obvious) difference between the two examples. You put bigots and people seeking representation on the same pedestal and don't think that is strange. Pity.

I actually did answer your question Kieran. Now whether you can comprehend my answer or if its simply not an answer you will accept that is entirely your problem.

I will repost what I said just in case you just skipped over it:

To spell it out for you, since you seem to need help with it, one form/type of discrimination doesn't supersede another. If you are interested in the character then get the book. If he turns out to be gay or not gay it shouldn't mater.
    I don't think you're being entirely honest, if I'm being honest. But each to their own.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It's a shame you don't understand the (what I would call obvious) difference between the two examples. You put bigots and people seeking representation on the same pedestal and don't think that is strange. Pity.
    Actually, do know the difference. Just calling the BS where I see it, which ever way it falls. *shrug*

I don't think you're being entirely honest, if I'm being honest. But each to their own.
    If you are looking for the opportunity to call me a bigot because I disagreed with you, feel free. It's seems to be one of the few things that people can get away with on the forum and it doesn't make what I stated any less valid.(or that me being a "bigot" factual for that mater)
    Last edited by Trident; 10-23-2015 at 05:01 PM.

All-New Member

It looks like the big two are finally figuring out which characters to use to fill the LGBT quotas.

There actually is no difference.

One minute you had money for a character that had your interest and you found out something that you didn't like and/or care about so you then all of sudden you no longer had the funds and/or interest in it. Reads like this : " This book would have been great if the protagonist wasn't Black."
    or " Can't stand how gay this book is. Why do they have to kiss all the time?"
    which is the same as this : "Man this straight white male should have been gay or replaced with a POC." it's the same thing but because it a straight white all of sudden it's ok.
    First, no, is not the same thing. If there was enough LGBT people on the comics, no one would say things like that, no one would need to expect characters to be gay or be completely excited when someone is revealed/created as. People will act normal when it actually feels normal, when they put LGBT characters like if it was not a big deal instead of being afraid that the audience will be offended because is still a taboo and because even if these days most of them don't admit, there's a lot of homophobic people. Straight Couples kiss in the comics all the time, a lot, a lot more than gay couples(because there obviously a lot more of them, and that's fine!), and no one is bothered. I also don't see how the two exemples match each other. Saying that you can't stand something because is gay and wanting a character to have another sexuality is two very different things.
    Second, if someone here had discrimination for straight people, we woudn't even read comics, because surprise: 90% of the characters and couple are straight. And everyone grows up, are raised and live believing that straight is the most normal and right sexuality(well, is the most common of course), watching straight romance movies, shows, couples, you know, everything, so I don't even know how heterophobia is even a thing, actually I don't know how people can even say that when like a year(s?) ago people didn't even knew this word.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 10-23-2015 at 05:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    First, no, is not the same thing. If there was enough LGBT people on the comics, no one would say things like that, no one would need to expect characters to be gay or be completely excited when someone is revealed/created as. People will act normal when it actually feels normal, when they put LGBT characters like if it was not a big deal instead of being afraid that the audience will be offended because is still a taboo and because even if these days most of them don't admit, there's a lot of homophobic people. Straight Couples kiss in the comics all the time, a lot, a lot more than gay couples(because there obviously a lot more of them, and that's fine!), and no one is bothered. I also don't see how the two exemples match each other. Saying that you can't stand something because is gay and wanting a character to have another sexuality is two very different things.
    Second, if someone here had discrimination for straight people, we woudn't even read comics, because surprise: 90% of the characters and couple are straight. And everyone grows up, are raised and live believing that straight is the most normal and right sexuality(well, is the most common of course), watching straight romance movies, shows, couples, you know, everything, so I don't even know how heterophobia is even a thing, actually I don't know how people can even say that when like a year(s?) ago people didn't even knew this word.
    Most of your post had little to do with what I said or what I was talking about.

If you are interested the character and will only buy the book solely based on his sexuality you are essentially the same as someone who will not for the same reason. Hyperion being gay or not being gay will have little effect on the book anyway. Since superhero comics rarely dives deeply into romance. Buying a title for that purpose alone is setting yourself up for disappointment, which is a lesson I thought some might learn with Hickmans Avengers.

Also, the truth of the matter is when people stop making excuses for their favoritism/sexism/discrimination is when less of it will occur.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-23-2015 at 07:34 PM.

I don't understand this newer readers obsession with making every new comics series about a person sexuality that's popped up over the last few years! Who cares who the lead character wants to date! Let's just concentrate on creating superbly crafted stories. When I read Spider-man I don't need to know who he is attracted to! People need to stop looking to fictional characters as their role models. There are plenty of great real life human beings to look to for inspiration! Leave a persons sexual preference out of my comic book stories!
    Read Hyperactive Comics on comicfury, The Duck web comics and Tapastic!!

Isn't Hyperion (or the several versions of him) generally paired with the Power Princess/Zarda? As an analogue to the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship? I honestly just assumed that might carry over into the new Squadron Supreme book.

Or not, of course .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch C. View Post
    I don't understand this newer readers obsession with making every new comics series about a person sexuality that's popped up over the last few years! Who cares who the lead character wants to date! Let's just concentrate on creating superbly crafted stories. When I read Spider-man I don't need to know who he is attracted to! People need to stop looking to fictional characters as their role models. There are plenty of great real life human beings to look to for inspiration! Leave a persons sexual preference out of my comic book stories!
    I agree, comic books used to be about fun and adventure. Unfortunately, in today's hyper-sexualized society that is not the case.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Hyperion (or the several versions of him) generally paired with the Power Princess/Zarda? As an analogue to the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship? I honestly just assumed that might carry over into the new Squadron Supreme book.

Or not, of course .
    Yeah. I think that's who he's kissing in Squadron Sinister. (Sorry..don't know my Squadron Supreme characters)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...el-comics-2015

Spectacular Member

So you'd be fine if every single character ever stopped having love interests at all? Like you said keep people's sexual preferences out of comics.

When I read a character like Spider-Man in particular his romantic relationships are a huge part of who he is. Gwen Stacey's death would not have had the same impact if they weren't in a romantic relationship. His entire relationship with the Black Cat loses a layer of depth if there isn't that flirty undertone. Not to mention his relationship with Mary Jane Watson, while they were married we got some great stories and got to see Peter grow a lot. Pete's romantic relationships are an important part of who they are and if we stopped including romances like you suggest that loses a human element to all characters. People fall in love all the time, why shouldn't superheroes?

Not to mention so many other great couples like Sue and Reed Richards, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Clark and Lois etc. It would be bad storytelling to completely ignore characters romantic lives.
    Last edited by Garbledarber; 10-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Or not, of course .
    The Hyperion in this book was never shown to be with Zarda before his universe died, and the one in the team book is from yet another universe. So there's nothing to say either way about that. I hope he's gay, simply because it's yet another thing to separate him from Superman. And one gay male ongoing between the Big Two isn't enough to make the subject matter redundant, like heterosexulity is as a viewpoint for solo series at both companies.

It's more about seeing something new, really. We see straight romance in comics constantly, contrary to your assertion that focusing on love and sexuality is recent. Also- Spider-Man is pretty much the worst character you could possibly have picked for that example. He's essentially a romance character as much as a superhero. Look at the movies, say that romance plays no role.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Will this be the only Hyperion in the Marvel Universe, or will there still be other alternate Earth versions of him hovering around "mainstream" Earth?

Unfortunately for you, if you actually visit the Spider-Man boards, you will see that 99% of the fanbase, both young and old, VERY MUCH CARE who he is attracted to. There are appreciation threads dedicated to his various love interests, polls asking who is people's favorite love interest, and long discussions on whether Peter's marriage to Mary Jane should have been undone or not. As others have pointed out, Spider-Man has been steeped in romance since the 1960's. And these are two of the most iconic sequences from his lore:

And this is the most iconic scene from his movies:

So yeah, you are in the extreme minority if you are not interested in Spider-Man's romantic life. And there's a good reason for that too. His love life has enriched his stories and provided some of the most memorable and character defining moments and storylines in his publication history.

If you are interested in the character then get the book. If he turns out to be gay or not gay it shouldn't mater.
    Ideally, in a perfect world, you'd be completely right and the character would be judged on its own merit.
    But it's not the case of the world we are living in. And given how poorly represented were a lot of groups up until a few years ago (and some still are) in mainstream media, can you really blame some people for having this kind of criteria when deciding whether or not picking up a title is worth it?
    It comes down to "why" someone would be interested in the character. Personally, Hyperion's back story and struggle during Hickman's run made him very sympathetic to me, that's why I'll be happy to follow his journey in nu616.
    His sexual orientation, his skin color, his gender or religious background if he has any, are of no importance to me. It's not what will make him a more compelling/less compelling character IMO.
    But I can understand people who'll start to follow said journey for those reasons, simply because of how relatable it makes the character to them, or for the simple symbolism of having a character with those traits being on the spotlight.
    I don't agree with such angle, but I understand it.
    Last edited by People Of The Earth; 10-24-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Also, the truth of the matter is when people stop making excuses for their favoritism/sexism/discrimination is when less of it will occur.
    White or heterosexual discrimination doesn't exists. Deal with it. Discrimination doesn't mean someone saying "this is a straight white character so I won't read it". Discrimination means not having the same rights and possibilities than the dominants class has. If someone can't get married because of his sexual inclinations, then is discriminated. If someone get shot because it's running and it's black then he could be a criminal—while a white running is just someone who cares about health—is discriminated. And so on.

You have a very simplistic and naive view of very complex and dramatic issues, yet you talk like you understand everything better than the other people.