Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    From Wendig's "sexy motherf**ker" comment I believe that answers the question of Hyperion's sexuality. At this point it would be shocking if they make him straight.
    ...what?

You think he's gay... because he's sexy????

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Whoa, interesting.
    In Hickman's series he repeatedly sees himself as a father figure, largely due to the training/indoctrination his own "father" provided him. The writer, according to the interview, seems to be using that characterization with Hyperion who again seems mankind as his adopted children.

So yeah, I think it would be very interesting to have a possibly gay, unapologetically godlike figure with a patriarchal leanings be based in a small town, perhaps conservative, midwestern setting. That's a heck of an elevator pitch.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

other than hickmans run I haven't followed hyperion or any other hyperions...

why does cbr think hes gay?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Looks like Marvel knows how to capitalize the momentum of the movies. Of any movie.
    And no Zarda series? Where is the Zarda series?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Because some posters on CBR think or want every character in the Marvel U to be either gay or bisexual.

I dunno, that's just the vibe I got from Hickman's version. They've never explored it so it's just conjecture, could be wrong could be right.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Because some posters on CBR think or want every character in the Marvel U to be either gay or bisexual.
    No. The reason people think/thought Hyperion is/was gay is because Hickman revealed one of his Avengers was LGBT. However, he did not identify who that was. During this, people theorized that it could by Hyperion. And then along come POD near the very end who was revealed to be a lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    ...what?

You think he's gay... because he's sexy????
    My thoughts exactly. I am not sure how the two are connected?

If he is gay, then great. If he is gay AND Sexy, super great!

However, I know plenty of gay men who are not "sexy'. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    No. The reason people think/thought Hyperion is/was gay is because Hickman revealed one of his Avengers was LGBT. However, he did not identify who that was. During this, people theorized that it could by Hyperion. And then along come POD near the very end who was revealed to be a lesbian.
    I also think it has to do with the relationship he and Thor developed. Though, that could just as easily been close male friendship. If it was just showing close platonic friendship it seemed very nuanced for a superhero book though.

I don't think Thor was romantically attracted to Hyperion, but Hyperion is enough of a blank slate that he may have felt that way toward Thor.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I also think it has to do with the relationship he and Thor developed. Though, that could just as easily been close male friendship. If it was just showing close platonic friendship it seemed very nuanced for a superhero book though.

I don't think Thor was romantically attracted to Hyperion, but Hyperion is enough of a blank slate that he may have felt that way toward Thor.
    I interpreted that as a just a friendship. It felt like Hyperion's first real connection to someone in this new world. I think Hyperion gravitated toward Thor because he felt them kindred spirits.

I do agree that Hyperion is enough of a blank slate that they pretty much have free reign with the character. So if they decide to one day down the line reveal Hyperion's attraction to Thor, it wouldn't be totally unbelievable.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

At this point, with nothing known, I just hope Virella gets the memo about the outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I interpreted that as a just a friendship. It felt like Hyperion's first real connection to someone in this new world. I think Hyperion gravitated toward Thor because he felt them kindred spirits.

I do agree that Hyperion is enough of a blank slate that they pretty much have free reign with the character. So if they decide to one day down the line reveal Hyperion's attraction to Thor, it wouldn't be totally unbelievable.
    I definitely can see it either way. I just think it was very different then how we usually see friendship in the MU, especially between men. It was much more quiet and contemplative in parts where usually it's sophmoric (Sunspot and Cannonball) or gruding respect. I'm not sure I can remember seeing a superhero comic that shows platonic male intimacy before so that's why in my head I read it as romance. I think it'd be a very interesting take if it is.
    Pull List:

I thought this Hyperion was a waste of panel space that could have been better used for interesting characters (same as I did Smasher) but it finally clicked where I'd seen the name Wendig before. His Unclean Spirits was one of the best books I've read this past year. I'll be sampling this for his talent and see if he can do something to make Hyperion readable to me. Ewing couldn't and he's a comic god...

1) Marvel doesn't have an LGBT solo title currently and they've been aware about this for some time now
    2) Marvel have actively been pushing for diversity and greater representation of late, so I doubt they will give yet another straight white adult male character a solo, especially a character who is still relatively obscure and hasn't had a solo before
    3) The character's sexuality is a blank slate
    4) The writer was just in the news for writing a Star Wars novel with a gay protagonist

Mighty Member

I'm pretty excited. I love Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme so much. It is one of my favorite comics of all time. I love Supreme Power. I enjoyed the Hyperion one-shot in the middle of Hickman's run,and I love Secret War's Squadron Sinister. So for these characters to be given chances like this makes me super hype. I'm very surprised this is happening at all.