Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default JLA: A League of One available on Comixology

The graphic novel A League of One always seems to turn up on recommendations lists for Wonder Woman. On Amazon.com, used physical copies could be bought for $11.83 (plus another $3.99 shipping), but new copies cost over $30. As a digital-only reader, I've been waiting for this book to arrive on Comixology for a long time. It was a regular search item for me, and one I've actually put in requests for several times.

Glad to see today that it's included in a digital collection for $12.99, as a pre-order to be released on October 27. The collection also includes JLA Classified: Cold Steel, another story from the same author.

Just wanted to give a heads up to other fans if you've been patiently waiting for this one. Gives me hope that DC & Comixology haven't forgotten about all of the Wonder Woman comics that they haven't been selling before. Now if only they could get around to The Hiketeia. The hard copies of that cost even more on Amazon!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    The graphic novel A League of One always seems to turn up on recommendations lists for Wonder Woman.
    I have no idea why.

Wonder Woman saves spends half the book saving the lives of the Justice League while sacrificing the lives of innocent civilians to do so.

Sorry Jim, but IMO one of the worst WW stories ever.
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-23-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I have no idea why.

Wonder Woman saves spends half the book saving the lives of the Justice League while sacrificing the lives of innocent civilians to do so.

Sorry Jim, but IMO one of the worst WW stories ever.
    That is indeed your opinion, and you appear to be in the minority. This is a classic and I'm glad to finally be able to get it digitally.

(The shot of her booting Supes in the face is awesome.)

Astonishing Member

Yay! I have a hard copy, but I'm glad the digital will be available for others to have a chance at enjoying it, too.

I have no idea why.
    Because it's a good story with great art, of course.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    That is indeed your opinion, and you appear to be in the minority.
    Wouldn't be the first time [Brett give a jaunty wave to all the folks who lapped up Azzarello's run ]

In this book Wonder Woman chooses what she thinks is the lesser of two evils. But as you well know, that is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post

Because it's a good story with great art, of course.
    The art at least is good.

Until you get the great art of innocent people dying and the JL high fiving each other at the end as Switzerland mourns it's dead. Then not so much...
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-24-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

The art at least is good.

Until you get the great art of innocent people dying and the JL high fiving each other at the end as Switzerland mourns it's dead. Then not so much...
    Superheroes, in general, tend to not be so great at follow-up/clean up. How many died in NY, and the Avengers are talking shawarma? How many did Ultron kill, and the Avengers are just hanging out at their new clubhouse? How many died in Metropolis, and Clark's reply is to destroy a drone and hang out with Lois at his new job?

Extraordinary Member

Superheroes, in general, tend to not be so great at follow-up/clean up. How many died in NY, and the Avengers are talking shawarma? How many did Ultron kill, and the Avengers are just hanging out at their new clubhouse? How many died in Metropolis, and Clark's reply is to destroy a drone and hang out with Lois at his new job?
    At least in those cases the heroes know that they saved everybody they could.

Unlike this story, where extra people have to die while Wonder Woman is busy kidnapping her team mates.

BANNED

In this book Wonder Woman chooses what she thinks is the lesser of two evils. But as you well know, that is still an evil.
    The problem for her is that it's either A or B, there just isn't a C for her to choose.

Which I think is one the appeals of the story. Diana gets rid of the League because she knows if they go up against the dragon, they will die and the world needs them. So she decided to handle the beast herself, even though she knows the personal risks for her just becomes much greater.

Fantastic Member

A good story. I wish there hadn't been so much story devoted to the gnomes or the hobbits or whatever, but the central tension makes for a great story. Better than the Hiketeia. Here, Diana is impelled by her own personal beliefs to do something she knows is right, despite how much pain it causes her, with the added poignancy she's soon to die herself.

Whereas in the Hiketeia, she's impelled not by personal belief, but duty. The lack of personal stake makes that story dull, along with the central conflict-- a fight between Batman and Wonder Woman, which of course is no contest. And yet a League of One does a much better job at showing this conflict in a dramatic way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The problem for her is that it's either A or B, there just isn't a C for her to choose.

Which I think is one the appeals of the story. Diana gets rid of the League because she knows if they go up against the dragon, they will die and the world needs them. So she decided to handle the beast herself, even though she knows the personal risks for her just becomes much greater.
    Lex Luthor reasoning. "The JL cannot be risked because they are too important. Innocent people must be sacrificed until Thet can win without dying."

Not even internally consistent for Wonder Womans continuity. Diana here is guilty of doing the same thing Hippolyta did when she learned of a prophecy Wonder Woman would die - tricking Artemis into taking the fall instead. In this story Diana decides to let people in Switzerland die while she cheats fate.

Astonishing Member

I agree that part of the appeal is that Diana isn't given an option C) Save all of the above. It's a flawed and imperfect solution, but so much of life is flawed and imperfect. She's forced to make a difficult choice.

Lex Luthor reasoning. "The JL cannot be risked because they are too important. Innocent people must be sacrificed until Thet can win without dying."
    I don't think your characterization here is fair or accurate. First, the JL risks their lives on a frequent basis; no where does Diana say they cannot be risked. But, for Diana, the prophesy is not a risk, it is an inevitability; it's the difference between 'someone may get injured or even die' to 'all of them will die.'

Not even internally consistent for Wonder Womans continuity. Diana here is guilty of doing the same thing Hippolyta did when she learned of a prophecy Wonder Woman would die - tricking Artemis into taking the fall instead. In this story Diana decides to let people in Switzerland die while she cheats fate.
    It is consistent in the sense that Diana is willing to sacrifice her own life in both cases. You're right that her decision/actions are similar to Hippolyta's - to me, that's also part of what makes it interesting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    A good story. I wish there hadn't been so much story devoted to the gnomes or the hobbits or whatever, but the central tension makes for a great story. Better than the Hiketeia. Here, Diana is impelled by her own personal beliefs to do something she knows is right, despite how much pain it causes her, with the added poignancy she's soon to die herself.

Whereas in the Hiketeia, she's impelled not by personal belief, but duty. The lack of personal stake makes that story dull, along with the central conflict-- a fight between Batman and Wonder Woman, which of course is no contest. And yet a League of One does a much better job at showing this conflict in a dramatic way.
    I really like both A League of One and The Hiketeia; for me, they are two of the best WW stories. It's kind of hard to compare them as they are very different stories.

I disagree that The Hiketeia lacks a personal stake for Diana. It's not the same life-threatening situation as A League of One, but Diana is very personally involved and it is life-threatening to someone. I also disagree that A League of One did a better job on the conflict with Batman; it may be more dramatic, but I think it gives Batman too much credit. Batman really doesn't stand much of a chance fighting against WW. So, I much prefer The Hiketea's "Don't get up!"

Where I do agree with you is on the gnomes - the story spends a little too much time on them.
    Last edited by Awonder; 10-25-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    The graphic novel A League of One always seems to turn up on recommendations lists for Wonder Woman. On Amazon.com, used physical copies could be bought for $11.83 (plus another $3.99 shipping), but new copies cost over $30. As a digital-only reader,
    The book was re-released last week so you could go get a new physical copy from your LCS for $19.99. IST has it for $10.99 and Amazon will start shipping it next week, also for $10.99.

BANNED

Lets be honest here, villains aren't always going to sit around and wait with the mayhem till the heroes show up. You are right, she could just have gone into the fight with the League at her side and watched all of them die in dragonfire leaving even more people open to be killed by the dragon or by the next calamity. Aside this, it's not like she's the only one where this happens to... like Batman ususally have a few dozen dead to contend with after every run in with a villain of his.

Diana made the hard choice, just as she did when she decided to kill Max Lords and Medusa, but ultimately it was the right one.

Extraordinary Member

I agree that part of the appeal is that Diana isn't given an option C) Save all of the above. It's a flawed and imperfect solution, but so much of life is flawed and imperfect. She's forced to make a difficult choice.

I don't think your characterization here is fair or accurate. First, the JL risks their lives on a frequent basis; no where does Diana say they cannot be risked. But, for Diana, the prophesy is not a risk, it is an inevitability; it's the difference between 'someone may get injured or even die' to 'all of them will die.'
    Ah, Batman reasoning. My logic trumps your logic.

It is consistent in the sense that Diana is willing to sacrifice her own life in both cases. You're right that her decision/actions are similar to Hippolyta's - to me, that's also part of what makes it...
    ...awful.

Lets be honest here, villains aren't always going to sit around and wait with the mayhem till the heroes show up. You are right, she could just have gone into the fight with the League at her side and watched all of them die in dragonfire leaving even more people open to be killed by the dragon or by the next calamity. Aside this, it's not like she's the only one where this happens to... like Batman ususally have a few dozen dead to contend with after every run in with a villain of his.
    But again, it's not usually because he is busy saving his friends instead.

Diana made the hard choice, just as she did when she decided to kill Max Lords and Medusa, but ultimately it was the right one.
    The people in Switzerland probably don't agree. The fact that Superman was okay with innocent people being sacrificed to save him is also rather poor characterization, IMO.

Good that you mentioned Max Lord, since that was also a situation where it was written that WW had to do a terrible thing but when you examine the situation it fails rigorous scrutiny.

For example, she does NOT have to go charging in their with the League. She could have actually explained what was going on with the prophecy and why she had to be the one to face the dragon. The whole story is predicated on the idea that the other Leaguers have no respect for Diana and her expertise in things magical, and will go charging in there no matter what she says. Which at the very least in Superman's case is ridiculous, because his vulnerability to the mystical is well documented.

Meanwhile, the very fact that she is able to manipulate the situation so they don't all die proves that his fate is no immutable. The Flash could have removed the civilians from the combat zone in seconds. And if lies are what kills you, that is easily solved. Just wrap everyone in the lasso and do a "Specter of the Gun" scenario...

Nobody HAD to die, the story is simply written to try and convince you that this is the case.