Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Justice League: Gods and Monsters - Superman issues 1-3

So nobody seems to be talking about this book. I for one thought the first issue was pretty good. I really like how the art payed a sort of homage to the 1940's Fleischer Superman opening/first episode where Krypton explodes like a balloon being popped.

I'm a little let down that it didn't really dive deeper into his and his families life as migrant workers. But it did make for a nice and subtle backdrop for the story. It should be praised for how it weaved the Superman myth into this story so invisibly. It never felt like it was telling a story where were supposed to be like "whoa that's like Superman....but not". It felt like it was telling the story as if we we'd never head of Superman at all.

I liked how we were getting the story from his sister's perspective. That made it cool to sort of observe Hernan (Superman) along with her. I actually wish this wasn't a digital first book and regular would that's allowed time to really breath and flourish. It's got some really strong a subtle ideas running around in it.

The verdict for me? It's not just the story of some bad Superman. It's got potential.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Fantastic Member

Hm. My impression from the trailers so far is that this project had Timm indulging his juvenile side (which I think tends to happen when he's freed from the constraints of children's programming). That said, I might check out the digital issues, at least for Superman, if it's as interesting a take as this sounds. Still likely won't see the feature, though.

it came out?

i thought these two were not coming out for another two weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Hm. My impression from the trailers so far is that this project had Timm indulging his juvenile side (which I think tends to happen when he's freed from the constraints of children's programming). That said, I might check out the digital issues, at least for Superman, if it's as interesting a take as this sounds. Still likely won't see the feature, though.
    I can see where you're coming from. Two issue are currently out and issue two just convinces me more that this book could be great if given time to breath. The second issue is a bit rushed but if you take into account that it's more a direct continuation of issue one (literally a day ago) then it can be forgiven somewhat. Ultimately I recommend it if only to get you mind buzzing on the idea of a genuinely alternate take on the character. Again it's ideas are solid but it's the looming feeling of it being too compressed to really get you fully invested.

I'll probably be checking out the actually movie too. Part of me hopes this lives on past the movie and becomes a comic or cartoon even(if only to see where they go with this new Superman with a VERY skeptical eye of course)

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    it came out?

i thought these two were not coming out for another two weeks?
    Yes both issue are out now with three on the way tomorrow.

The first two issues were great. Hernan is a very troubled young man. The guilt he carries must be so much to bare.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

You guys think he'll be a little like Clark? Clark probably died on Krypton so this guy could survive.

BANNED

This comic is so good. A good point on immigration, racism, explotation much better than what writers try and fail on main books right now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    This comic is so good. A good point on immigration, racism, explotation much better than what writers try and fail on main books right now
    Let me guess. You'd prefer if Superman sat at a desk job all day pumping out pointless story after pointless insipid story?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

So after reading issues 2 and 3 I've come to the concussion that Bruce Timm was very much inspired by Philip Wylie's 1930 Gladiator. It's widely accepted that the character and the novel seemed to have been in part an inspiration for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster when creating their own musclebound man-god. But Siegel and Shuster decided against the more ambiguous soul searching protagonist when creating their Superman. The character of Hugo Danner (Gladiator ) was a child gifted with inhuman amounts of strength and ability, and was every tormented by the prospect of his place in the world. These ideas would find their way back into the Superman myth with more contemporary telling (Man of Steel film) but never quite to the level of ambiguity that Danner displayed at times.

Timm's re imagining of the Superman concept goes farther into Danner's territory and embraces it. Hernan is a troubled young man who hears the call of the stars but his heart is rooted in the Earth. That dichotomy is also parallel by the idea that he has a seemingly unquenchable rage beating inside of him, but he has a gentle heart that was nurtured by his adopted family. Objectively speaking this is a more to the point easily digestible idea for the Superman concept's struggle with it's theme of nature vs nurture. It's very plainly spelled out with two contrasting sides. The Clark's version of the idea is a bit more subtle. It's a little funny when you want to explain it to someone because they'll go "well then his alien family was bad or not great in some way, right?" With most takes you can't in good conscience ever say yes to that. It's always more complicated than that. It's usually more nuanced. But what it translates to mainstream is "oh so then everyone he's related to is just awesome, huh?".

Timm gives the reader a clear and strong distinction to wrap their minds around. But instead of going the way of say the early seasons of Smallville or Byrne's Man of Steel reboot in the 80's, Timm and DeMatteis (co writer of the comic) just use his alien heritage as a back drop to only be alluded to when it's weaved in with religious talk by the characters. You see, in the book Hernan abilities, his mental torment over his place, and his being found in a field are all attributed to his faith driven family (his mother in particular). This is again like Danner in that his father's experiments on his mother (the actual reason for his power) are in the end given a religious tone (I wont spoil how if you'd like to read it).

In my opinion the third act for this book is the strongest. But it suffers from not being allowed to breath more. Please show us Hernan's time in the army. Or maybe give us a little of his world travels. I'd very much enjoy a depiction of his choice not to leave Earth for good. The art would have really taken center stage on that one. And the emotional punch would have been quite strong. I think I'd really enjoy the ideas being presented in this book if they were allowed to really express themselves. Like take the idea that Hernan's "Krypton" is not Krypton itself (well it is) but Mexico. Mexico is where his families roots are. It's the language he weaves in and out of English. It's a very down to Earth and easy to digest take on the immigrant idea for Superman.

There are a lot of aspects to this concept that would do well if just allowed to take it's take and build. I sincerely hope that this take finds some legs and is allowed to become a true blue alternate Earth in the vein of Earth 2 with book and all. After the movie I hope it's not the last we'll see of Hernan Guerra the Superman.

An ongoing would be splendid, imo. I thoroughly enjoyed the three Superman issues. And I am left wanting more. Interestingly the surname Guerra translates to war. Perhaps to the war Hernan is fighting withing himself. To be good while having to do bad things.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So after reading issues 2 and 3 I've come to the concussion that Bruce Timm was very much inspired by Philip Wylie's 1930 Gladiator. It's widely accepted that the character and the novel seemed to have been in part an inspiration for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster when creating their own musclebound man-god. But Siegel and Shuster decided against the more ambiguous soul searching protagonist when creating their Superman. The character of Hugo Danner (Gladiator ) was a child gifted with inhuman amounts of strength and ability, and was every tormented by the prospect of his place in the world. These ideas would find their way back into the Superman myth with more contemporary telling (Man of Steel film) but never quite to the level of ambiguity that Danner displayed at times.

Timm's re imagining of the Superman concept goes farther into Danner's territory and embraces it. Hernan is a troubled young man who hears the call of the stars but his heart is rooted in the Earth. That dichotomy is also parallel by the idea that he has a seemingly unquenchable rage beating inside of him, but he has a gentle heart that was nurtured by his adopted family. Objectively speaking this is a more to the point easily digestible idea for the Superman concept's struggle with it's theme of nature vs nurture. It's very plainly spelled out with two contrasting sides. The Clark's version of the idea is a bit more subtle. It's a little funny when you want to explain it to someone because they'll go "well then his alien family was bad or not great in some way, right?" With most takes you can't in good conscience ever say yes to that. It's always more complicated than that. It's usually more nuanced. But what it translates to mainstream is "oh so then everyone he's related to is just awesome, huh?".

Timm gives the reader a clear and strong distinction to wrap their minds around. But instead of going the way of say the early seasons of Smallville or Byrne's Man of Steel reboot in the 80's, Timm and DeMatteis (co writer of the comic) just use his alien heritage as a back drop to only be alluded to when it's weaved in with religious talk by the characters. You see, in the book Hernan abilities, his mental torment over his place, and his being found in a field are all attributed to his faith driven family (his mother in particular). This is again like Danner in that his father's experiments on his mother (the actual reason for his power) are in the end given a religious tone (I wont spoil how if you'd like to read it).

In my opinion the third act for this book is the strongest. But it suffers from not being allowed to breath more. Please show us Hernan's time in the army. Or maybe give us a little of his world travels. I'd very much enjoy a depiction of his choice not to leave Earth for good. The art would have really taken center stage on that one. And the emotional punch would have been quite strong. I think I'd really enjoy the ideas being presented in this book if they were allowed to really express themselves. Like take the idea that Hernan's "Krypton" is not Krypton itself (well it is) but Mexico. Mexico is where his families roots are. It's the language he weaves in and out of English. It's a very down to Earth and easy to digest take on the immigrant idea for Superman.

There are a lot of aspects to this concept that would do well if just allowed to take it's take and build. I sincerely hope that this take finds some legs and is allowed to become a true blue alternate Earth in the vein of Earth 2 with book and all. After the movie I hope it's not the last we'll see of Hernan Guerra the Superman.
    Great write up. Will definitely try it out.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

It's not going to be a true blue alternate in continuity Earth because of Wonder Woman. Bekka is an alternate version of the New God. In the current continuity the New Gods are unique in the multiverse and there is only one version of them because they exist beyond the parallel earths.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    It's not going to be a true blue alternate in continuity Earth because of Wonder Woman. Bekka is an alternate version of the New God. In the current continuity the New Gods are unique in the multiverse and there is only one version of them because they exist beyond the parallel earths.
    Well yes and no.

As you can see the new gods can and do exist on multiple worlds in different forms shapes and sizes. Long story short: it can work.

Morrison's take on New Gods is basically a "get out of jail" card for any situation considering New Gods that editors or writers want to ignore/remove/change.

Anyway, did read all three issues in one sitting. I can't say that I liked writing or art very much, not that either of those were terrible, but in today's competitive market I don't really feel that they can compete. But really, anyone who is thinking about reading it should do it not because of art or writing but of Timm's ideas.

Most interesting thing for me is that if you changed few names you could really sell it as some progressive take on Superheroes at Image Comics. Many of alternate Superman versions are really simplistic, what if he was a woman? What if he landed in Soviet Russia? What if he was evil? What if he was younger/older/black/edgier/hip and so on. In other words rather superficial changes. Timm really goes to the core here and discards all the dressing, replacing it with his own ideas. End result is at the same time genuinely different yet familiar.

Have you guys watched his short available on Youtube? I watched it before reading this and thought it was okay, but now with his back story in mind encounter with Brainiac feels even better.