Page 153 of 271 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 4057

Marvel has been known to seed characters a few films in advance. Are there any Black Panther, Inhuman, or Captain Marvel characters who might make sense in small roles in a Dr. Strange movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Hopefully not mordo. Voodoo maybe?
    Oh my god... I'd cry with tears of perfect joy if he was Jericho, he'd be PERFECT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    As a Muslim myself, there is always a sensitivity to Muslim characters becoming a "liberal" fantasy of what more progressive people would like us to be. If Dust and /or Kamala became LGBT, they no longer are "our" represntation. They will be adopted by another. Rictor being Latino is rarely even mentioned by fans, but his sexuality is now the main starting point with the character. The same will happen with Prodigy, if it hasnt.
    I know this is an old post, but I want to bring this back.

Reminder to to Muslim or Asian or (white) women here. I don't want to talk bad about Asian or women in general since I am an Asian woman, but it will be a lie there's no homophobic Asian/woman. The same people who want 'diverse' representation will be probably throw LGBT folks under bus. So if you're straight poc/women that think racism/ sexism is bad, but at the same time thinking that homosexual is gross, and a huge sin then you're a huge homophobe and fail at intersectional 1001. Sorry to say, but gay + Muslim + Asian can exist at the same person. The difference is, they are given death sentence depending on where they lives.

I remember when there's a discussion about Marvel female lead movie and there's some women that like, "I want female superheroes lead, but no lesbian please." or "Why the hell this author only created strong female character that are lesbian???" Basically the same woman who want female lead, will be probably throw Captain Marvel under bus is she were lesbian/bi.
    Last edited by Kencana; 02-02-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post

Reminder to to Muslim or Asian or (white) women here. I don't want to talk bad about Asian or women in general since I am an Asian woman, but it will be a lie there's no homophobic Asian/woman. The same people who want 'diverse' representation will be probably throw LGBT folks under bus. So if you're straight poc/women that think racism/ sexism is bad, but at the same time thinking that homosexual is gross, and a huge sin then you're a huge homophobe and fail at intersectional 1001. Sorry to say, but gay + Muslim + Asian can exist at the same person. The difference is, they are given death sentence depending on where they lives.

I remember when there's a discussion about Marvel female lead movie and there's some women that like, "I want female superheroes lead, but no lesbian please." or "Why the hell this author only created strong female character that are lesbian???" Basically the same woman who want female lead, will be probably throw Captain Marvel under bus is she were lesbian/bi.
    AMAZING RESPONSE!!! And quoted for the damn truth; can't believe I missed that original post; "no longer ours" how horribly offensive.

BANNED

Thankfully I'm all about diversity all the way through. Hell, I'm the same guy who had been defending Kamala Khan's right to exist even before one issue of her ongoing was published last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    AMAZING RESPONSE!!! And quoted for the damn truth; can't believe I missed that original post; "no longer ours" how horribly offensive.
    Thank you. And I agree with Kieran_Frost statement long time ago that since they're new character, they don't have a reason to be heterosexual. Marvel creating more and more new PoC/white woman character that ain't a legacy, so it's a big chance to make them LGBT. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

Hypothetical scenario, if Marvel outed Kamala as lesbian/bi, and you think she's less Muslim, less Pakistani because of that, I've got bad news for you buddy. LGBT Muslims exist in real life. I know bisexual Muslim woman that is a huge fan of Kamala.

This also applied to all LGBT character of any races in general. I remember when Prodigy was outed as bi there's a comment about how "Marvel feminized black man" and many homophobic comment. Hate to say it, but if Miles were gay and he's dating Ganke Lee, I bet this will cause a huge uproar. Because... a gay biracial Spider-man??? Plus he's in a interracial relationship with an Asian male?? Unbelievable. Sorry bro, but gay black men exist. Remember Kordale And Kaleb, gay black fathers that received racist and homophobic comment?

BANNED

If they were to make Kamala bi it would be a bit of a disservice or even false repesentation that the book never touches on the fact that the majority of people who follow the Muslim be life system are against homosexuality.

In fact if it were to happen a story based around that concept should be done in my opinion. There's no reason to ignore what it there and use it as a teaching experience through entertainment. At the same time it could be a good way to truely show the other sides view point while also being respectful of her sexuality. As opposed to offering "fluff" that a Muslim homosexual is accepted in his or her culture/religion with open arms.
    Last edited by Trident; 02-03-2015 at 06:17 AM.

BANNED

I got a little something different from the post that you quoted. The main contention being that the representation is hijacked not by LGBT community but by "liberals" who may feel more comfortable talking about LGBT issue than POC or Muslim issues. Thats a fair view due to many of the creators being white males and being unable to address issues of POC and Muslim (and Women) without falling into the same ol pit falls.

Dont be so quick to throw hetero POC and Muslims under the bus of homophobia when they express concerns about their representation. Representation is something that has to be fought for in the media world especially when you dont control your own image. The easiest thing to do is start fighting with other under represented groups.

Not trying to say your arguments are not valid. It is but you twisted the OP into something its not to make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    If they were to make Kamala bi it would be a bit of a disservice or even false representation that the book never touches on the fact that the majority of people who follow the Muslim be life system are against homosexuality.
    The thing is... people have different view about what "right" representation. Do you know American born Chinese? It's a graphic novel created by Gene Luen Yang, Chinese-American man. There's people that still think that graphic novel stereotyped Chinese people. I repeat it, Chinese character CREATED by Chinese-American still being criticized because it's "stereotype Asian people". or how about Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan? It's featuring gay protagonist created by gay man. Those book still being criticized because it's rarely address homophobia. Even though many gay people like that book because they like 'fairy tale' story where gay people didn't being prejudiced.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGodKing View Post
    I got a little something different from the post that you quoted. The main contention being that the representation is hijacked not by LGBT community but by "liberals" who may feel more comfortable talking about LGBT issue than POC or Muslim issues. Thats a fair view due to many of the creators being white males and being unable to address issues of POC and Muslim (and Women) without falling into the same ol pit falls.

Dont be so quick to throw hetero POC and Muslims under the bus of homophobia when they express concerns about their representation. Representation is something that has to be fought for in the media world especially when you dont control your own image. The easiest thing to do is start fighting with other under represented groups.
    Yes... and no. Kamala is written by Muslim woman. Plus I don't believe just because the creator white males he's unable to address 'minority' issue. I'm not so quick throw hetero POC and Muslim under the bus. There's many reason to hate character, but there's people that hate a character simply just because they're gay.

I agree that representation is important. But sometimes people who want diversity will do nothing but only buy book featuring straight white male (ok maybe 30% minority and 70% minority). This also frustrated me as an Asian woman. I know woman that complained about woman and POC representation in media but most of her story is about straight white male. Marvel tried to make diverse comic but almost all of them (beside Thor, Ms Marvel and Spider-woman) keep getting cancelled despite the writing and art is quite decent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGodKing View Post
    Not trying to say your arguments are not valid. It is but you twisted the OP into something its not to make your point.
    Fair enough. I wrote that because I reminded of something.

BANNED

I think every under represented group should be able to get their shine without having to share the spot light. There is a time and a place to share.

BANNED

The thing is... people have different view about what "right" representation. Do you know American born Chinese? It's a graphic novel created by Gene Luen Yang, Chinese-American man. There's people that still think that graphic novel stereotyped Chinese people. I repeat it, Chinese character CREATED by Chinese-American still being criticized because it's "stereotype Asian people". or how about Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan? It's featuring gay protagonist created by gay man. Those book still being criticized because it's rarely address homophobia. Even though many gay people like that book because they like 'fairy tale' story where gay people didn't being prejudiced..
    Interesting points but I'm not sure how they relate to what I said in my post? Could you elaborate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Interesting points but I'm not sure how they relate to what I said in my post? Could you elaborate ?
    I would think that a risky move because if they did do something like make her bisexual, then that would open the door for conflict between that character trait and her Muslim faith. And I would think that in today's climate, inviting such a clash would open one or both sides up to criticism.....and that's generally to be avoided at all costs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I would think that a risky move because if they did do something like make her bisexual, then that would open the door for conflict between that character trait and her Muslim faith. And I would think that in today's climate, inviting such a clash would open one or both sides up to criticism.....and that's generally to be avoided at all costs.
    I doubt Marvel would do it at all. But on the chance that it did occur I think you would be correct.

However, if marvel was "ballsy" enough to do it they shouldn't avoid or pretend those issue don't exist was mainly what I was saying.

Perhaps they can bring back Neal Shaara and give him another name than Thunderbird. an indian guy with personality and firepower and flight.

Ultimate Member

Thank you. And I agree with Kieran_Frost statement long time ago that since they're new character, they don't have a reason to be heterosexual. Marvel creating more and more new PoC/white woman character that ain't a legacy, so it's a big chance to make them LGBT. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

Hypothetical scenario, if Marvel outed Kamala as lesbian/bi, and you think she's less Muslim, less Pakistani because of that, I've got bad news for you buddy. LGBT Muslims exist in real life. I know bisexual Muslim woman that is a huge fan of Kamala.
    I think the issue is we have YET to have someone address both side of the issue at the same time.

In other words lets take Prodigy-we try a racism story with him will mainly focus on him being a black bisexual male or a bisexual male? We never see the story of the bisexual black male who not only has to take racism for being black, but for being bisexual and being a bisexual black male.

The "he's no longer ours" comment comes from the idea that we will see more stories about him (or her ) dealing with LGBT racism versus general racism. Because when we see these racism stories-notice the LGBT POC is MIA and vice verse.

We don't get balance in our story telling. Because one doesn't bring out the reaction that the other does.