Page 154 of 271 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 4057
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I doubt Marvel would do it at all. But on the chance that it did occur I think you would be correct.

However, if marvel was "ballsy" enough to do it they shouldn't avoid or pretend those issue don't exist was mainly what I was saying.
    If Marvel is looking at her for stuff such as tv shows and movies-her sexuality will be changed. You wouldn't want a Static Shock situation where a character's true sexuality had to be hidden.

I could see that story being done but with one of her friends or some new kid at school.

I doubt Marvel would do it at all. But on the chance that it did occur I think you would be correct.

However, if marvel was "ballsy" enough to do it they shouldn't avoid or pretend those issue don't exist was mainly what I was saying.
    Oh I agree. It would certainly be interesting to see a comic tackle that kind of content. It would indeed be ballsy. I just wouldn't expect Marvel or any other mainstream source to take on such a topic. Showing criticism toward a character's sexuality or religion, whether that criticism came from the author or a character, in today's climate is just too risky.

BANNED

If we are going to scrutinize Islam and its views can we also scrutinize Christianity and its views on LGBT or how about its terrorimism of Africans in America.

This why the OP that started this line of post said they worried about "liberal" interpretation of the religion and POC.

BANNED

Don't really think anyone was scrutinizing Islam. I feel that if any character who is being publized around their religion enters in or does something that a majority would think opposes that religion it should not be just swept under the rug. There's should be a story around that isn't affriad to touch on the elements of concern or agreement.

BANNED

Don't really think anyone was scrutinizing Islam. I feel that if any character who is being publized around their religion enters in or does something that a majority would think opposes that religion it should not be just swept under the rug. There's should be a story around that isn't affriad to touch on the elements of concern or agreement.
    Yeah but it shouldn't be the first thing you bring up. Think about how much stuff Muslim fans of comics want to see represented given that this is the first time a character they can relate to has catches on. Is that fair to them? Let just skip over all the potentiality good stuff in favor of dredging up a topic that could be divisive.

As many probably already know, Milestone Comics is back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...ters-of-color/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58643

Even though they're still working with DC, they're also still in talks to do projects with other publishers.

Is there any way Marvel could take advantage?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGodKing View Post
    Yeah but it shouldn't be the first thing you bring up. Think about how much stuff Muslim fans of comics want to see represented given that this is the first time a character they can relate to has catches on. Is that fair to them? Let just skip over all the potentiality good stuff in favor of dredging up a topic that could be divisive.
    I see where your coming from but that would probably be more of a/the reason Ms. Marvel won't be LGTB as a poster suggested.

BANNED

I see where your coming from but that would probably be more of a/the reason Ms. Marvel won't be LGTB as a poster suggested.
    She won't be LGBT because she wasn't intended (so far) to be LGBT. She was intended to represent a different group with different experiences.

When an LGBT writer and character is given the chance to make their mark their book shouldn't be sidetracked or co-opted by another agenda.

BANNED

She won't be LGBT because she wasn't intended (so far) to be LGBT. She was intended to represent a different group with different experiences.

When an LGBT writer and character is given the chance to make their mark their book shouldn't be sidetracked or co-opted by another agenda.
    ...I think somewhere along the way you might have missed a few things that I was saying or what was said.

If we are going to scrutinize Islam and its views can we also scrutinize Christianity and its views on LGBT or how about its terrorimism of Africans in America.

This why the OP that started this line of post said they worried about "liberal" interpretation of the religion and POC.
    I wasn't criticizing Islam at all. I was saying that if they added the LGBT dynamic to it, that would probably not be a good idea because it would create a situation where such criticism would be more likely. And I think the point of the character is not to criticize anyone's religion.

As others suggested, perhaps they can use a supporting character to bring up such a topic in a less fundamental way if they chose to go that route. But I would expect that to happen only if Wilson or Amanat had something to say in that regard.

Along the same lines, though, if a character who's been depicted as devoutly Catholic was shown to be gay, I'd expect similar treatment.

My point was that mainstream superhero comics don't really seem to be the place to examine religion all to deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    As many probably already know, Milestone Comics is back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...ters-of-color/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58643

Even though they're still working with DC, they're also still in talks to do projects with other publishers.

Is there any way Marvel could take advantage?
    I believe that Brevoort was asked about that on tumblr and he said that while anything was possible, without McDuffie it just wouldn't feel right.

I got a little something different from the post that you quoted. The main contention being that the representation is hijacked not by LGBT community but by "liberals" who may feel more comfortable talking about LGBT issue than POC or Muslim issues. Thats a fair view due to many of the creators being white males and being unable to address issues of POC and Muslim (and Women) without falling into the same ol pit falls.

Dont be so quick to throw hetero POC and Muslims under the bus of homophobia when they express concerns about their representation. Representation is something that has to be fought for in the media world especially when you dont control your own image. The easiest thing to do is start fighting with other under represented groups.

Not trying to say your arguments are not valid. It is but you twisted the OP into something its not to make your point.
    I agree completely...

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Thank you. And I agree with Kieran_Frost statement long time ago that since they're new character, they don't have a reason to be heterosexual. Marvel creating more and more new PoC/white woman character that ain't a legacy, so it's a big chance to make them LGBT. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

Hypothetical scenario, if Marvel outed Kamala as lesbian/bi, and you think she's less Muslim, less Pakistani because of that, I've got bad news for you buddy. LGBT Muslims exist in real life. I know bisexual Muslim woman that is a huge fan of Kamala.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! Kamala being Muslim AND gay doesn't make her any less Muslim. Nor does it make her a bad Muslim. Nor does it make her "an untrue" Muslim.

This also applied to all LGBT character of any races in general. I remember when Prodigy was outed as bi there's a comment about how "Marvel feminized black man" and many homophobic comment. Hate to say it, but if Miles were gay and he's dating Ganke Lee, I bet this will cause a huge uproar. Because... a gay biracial Spider-man??? Plus he's in a interracial relationship with an Asian male?? Unbelievable. Sorry bro, but gay black men exist. Remember Kordale And Kaleb, gay black fathers that received racist and homophobic comment?
    a) YES, it was vile and disgusting the comments we saw when Prodigy was outed. "pathetic", "despicable", "political correctness run amok" and my 'favourite' "another black male character just bit it, like literally". True bigotry showed its head that day, it was depressing as hell
    b) on old-CBR (after the first issue, when the artist said he could be gay, and he seemed "friendly" with his mate) I made a thread about "Should Miles be outed a gay"... hooooooo boy; that went sour fast. After ONE ISSUE posters were already screaming "it would be a retcon, he's established as str8". Seriously, we can't win. If the first word out of their mouth is "I'm gay" we hear "all they do is talk about being gay" and if it's NOT all we hear is "retcon, retcon" (ironically, from the same damn people)

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    Thankfully I'm all about diversity all the way through. Hell, I'm the same guy who had been defending Kamala Khan's right to exist even before one issue of her ongoing was published last year.
    That sh*t was crazy, she had no history and already people found her offensive???

"WHEN" being the operative word. There's never been a gay solo series. Never had a lesbian be a solo star. Never had a trans be a solo star. An interesting (yet depressing) fact: of the 5 LGBT solo series, only two have ever touched on LGBT issues (i.e. their sexuality is even referenced).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the issue is we have YET to have someone address both side of the issue at the same time.

In other words lets take Prodigy-we try a racism story with him will mainly focus on him being a black bisexual male or a bisexual male? We never see the story of the bisexual black male who not only has to take racism for being black, but for being bisexual and being a bisexual black male.
    The "he's no longer ours" comment comes from the idea that we will see more stories about him (or her ) dealing with LGBT racism versus general racism. Because when we see these racism stories-notice the LGBT POC is MIA and vice verse.
    We don't get balance in our story telling. Because one doesn't bring out the reaction that the other does.
    Does anyone have any actual in comic examples for these "concerns" of someone losing their racial status once outed? I'm hearing lots of "yeah, it always happens". Really? WHEN? When has the issues of racism been explored with a character and now no longer explored once they are revealed as LGBT?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-04-2015 at 06:54 AM.

BANNED

Well to be fair....most of times when racism is discussed in the MU it's in the X-Men which is usually composed of a cast of white people and one real world minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

"WHEN" being the operative word. There's never been a gay solo series. Never had a lesbian be a solo star. Never had a trans be a solo star. An interesting (yet depressing) fact: of the 5 LGBT solo series, only two have ever touched on LGBT issues (i.e. their sexuality is even referenced).
    I'm guessing you mean at Marvel, right? There have been at least a few series by other publishers that focus on LGBT characters. I hope that you look to those publishers as well.

Not that you should not hope for and request more diversity amongst Marvel's characters, but at the same time, the majority of its classic characters were conceived at a time when it was not abnormal for them all to be depicted as straight and white. Those are the big marquee characters, and it's a corporate mentality...I'm not surprised that things move slow in that regard.

The time will come. Until then, look to other publishers. Speak with your dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I'm guessing you mean at Marvel, right? There have been at least a few series by other publishers that focus on LGBT characters. I hope that you look to those publishers as well.

Not that you should not hope for and request more diversity amongst Marvel's characters, but at the same time, the majority of its classic characters were conceived at a time when it was not abnormal for them all to be depicted as straight and white. Those are the big marquee characters, and it's a corporate mentality...I'm not surprised that things move slow in that regard.

The time will come. Until then, look to other publishers. Speak with your dollars.
    Oh I'm sure other non-Marvel comics have LGBT characters (as does Marvel), but Marvel's LGBT solo series are still very disappointing. If it weren't for the X-verse always doing the lion's share of the lifting for LGBT characters, Marvel would seriously look bad in how they treat LGBT people. Loki: Agent of Asgard was sold as an LGBT comic, yet that's a cheque no-one can cash right now. I'm a Marvel boy through and through (unless they reboot, then I'm gone; I have no time for reboots). At which point I'll move to indie comics.