Page 2 of 271 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

For those who read both Marvel and DC, I created a DC version of this thread.

Also, I REALLY want a Ghost Rider/Ms. Marvel crossover. I know they are very different characters, but I think the interaction would be a fun contrast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fearghaill View Post
    Shame about the Greg Land art though.
    Aye to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearghaill View Post
    I also think that Al Ewing is doing a mostly fantastic job with dealing with race and a very racially diverse cast on Mighty Avengers. Shame about the Greg Land art though.
    Agreed on both counts. Al Ewing is doing such a great job tackling these issues seamlessly (by which I mean they work for the story, they say something about the character BUT they are also heroes - proving the incorrect fears of some that bringing up anything to do with being a minority drags a story to a stand-still)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

I also think it's time Hickman cut the crap and included a panel revealing which of the current Avengers is LGBT. "Only if it fits the story" is a **** excuse when you're the one developing the story. If he has a specific plan for how and when to do it, fine, fair enough. But I get the feeling he just genuinely doesn't give a **** about it, and that's a problem.
    I'm thinking it's more along the lines of editorial telling him to hold off till the opportune moment comes.
    They'd rather it not be a blip in the radar during all the events and spidey returns.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

It's cool we got Shang Chi but I wish we had an Asian American male superhero with a less....stereotypical skillset. I thought Chew's ability over at Image was pretty dope but I wouldn't classify him as a superhero.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Phyla-Vell whose a lesbian was killed off-handedly by Thanos... For someone as powerful as she is it's sad that she wasn't written as even putting up a fight.

Anya Corazon is still around and even got a new costume so that's nice I guess. At least she's a part of the Avengers in some way, no?
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-01-2014 at 11:06 AM.

For posterity, recent additions to the Marvel Universe worth looking:

- Ms. Marvel / Kamala Khan. Comes from a Pakistani family, but was raised in New Jersey. Student who suddenly received powers on the eve of the Infinity and Inhumans event. Shape shifter, she struggles with questions of identity. Comic: Ms. Marvel

- Ghost Rider / Robbie Reyes. Comes from a fairly dangerous latino neighborhood in L.A. Student who struggles to support himself and his little brother by working in an auto mechanic workshop. Received the Spirit of Vengeance when he was seemingly gunned down by mercenaries. Comic: All-New Ghost Rider

- Sun Girl / Selah Burke. Bi-racial girl from New York. Tech genius. Her father is the minor Spider-man villain Lighmaster (Dr. Edward Lansky). Manages light-based weaponary and a light-based flight harness/jetpack. College student, she just simply wants to be a superhero. Comics: Superior Spider-man Team-up. New Warriors

- Hummingbird / Aracely Penalba. Strange girl from Mexico. Rescued by the current Scarlet Spider (Kaine) from a truck filled with dead people in Houston. Has levitation, emotional manipulation abilities, telepathy and perhaps even more powers based on magic! She may be a reincarnation of the Aztec God Huitzilopotchli, patron of war, and has been called a demigod. Spends time having fun with Kaine and trying to encourage him to be a superhero with her. The two share some sort of spiritual connection as "goddess and champion"... or she is just making that up! Past shrouded in mystery. Comics: Scarlet Spider. New Warriors

- Nova / Sam Alexander. Boy from a mixed race family from a little town in Arizona. Student, helped his father with his job as a janitor until this one went missing. Tries to balance his student life, helping his mom and sister and his new "space cop" duties as he discovered that his father was once a member of the Black Nova Corps and took upon his helmet and powers. Comics: Nova. New Warriors

- Haechi / Mark Sim. Asian-American boy who, as Kamala, was transformed by the Terrigen mists. But he cannot hide his new appearance with the massive horn in his forehead. Nervous about the future and what ultimately happen to him. Comic: New Warriors
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 05-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    It's cool we got Shang Chi but I wish we had an Asian American male superhero with a less....stereotypical skillset. I thought Chew's ability over at Image was pretty dope but I wouldn't classify him as a superhero.
    I'm with you there..an Asian character who's skillset isnt martial arts or computer programming. I dont know how Asians feels about the Collective Man but I always thought he had a unique power. That could have been reworked into something less offensive. Also I love Sabra...and she would make an interesting X-man. With views opposite Scott Summers.

BANNED

It could just be that he didn't want to make a big deal about it. Most of Hickmans writing is story driven instead of character driven. That being the case going out of the way to prove that a character was gay would be nothing more than that. It wouldn't mean very much and it would just be to draw attention to the fact.

BANNED

The duel edge is that if he just throws it out there does that then become the only thing about the character. I would rather the character be fully fleshed out gay character then just being a character who is gay because of fan demand which is similar to asking for a token but only using different wording( this is one of my problems with Gillen's Young Avengers run )

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    For those who read both Marvel and DC, I created a DC version of this thread.

Also, I REALLY want a Ghost Rider/Ms. Marvel crossover. I know they are very different characters, but I think the interaction would be a fun contrast.
    I'd love a Ms. Marvel/Spider-Girl crossover. That would be a blast. Love Anya and Kamala both.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    It could just be that he didn't want to make a big deal about it. Most of Hickmans writing is story driven instead of character driven. That being the case going out of the way to prove that a character was gay would be nothing more than that. It wouldn't mean very much and it would just be to draw attention to the fact.
    Better than making no deal of it ever? If Hickman didn't want to ever out someone, okay; not much I can do about that. But I would argue he shouldn't have mentioned a character was LGBT if it was never going to come up. Because it's side-stepping the issue; and it becomes a convenient way to avoid the issue of a 30+ cast having no LGBT Avengers. It avoids the issue of talking about the Avengers bad track record of using LGBT characters. It avoids their bad track record of having back former Avengers AFTER they have been outed (which they've yet to do - Moondragon, Herc, Living Lightning).

Hickman shouldn't have said a character was LGBT if he never intends to mention it.

But this is still beside the point. Hickman adding ONE LGBT character (if and when it happens) is one small part of a bigger issue with the Avengers record on LGBT characters. Having "one" won't erase that, or suddenly make it all okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    The duel edge is that if he just throws it out there does that then become the only thing about the character. I would rather the character be fully fleshed out gay character then just being a character who is gay because of fan demand which is similar to asking for a token but only using different wording( this is one of my problems with Gillen's Young Avengers run )
    If he has nothing to add but "this is the gay one" then I would question his talent as a writer Come on, Hickman is more than capable of writing character be more than one thing. Is Black Swan defined by being a woman? By flirting? By mocking? No. Because Hickman's doing his job. Why is it mentioning an LGBT character's sexuality "suddenly" means that is all they are about? Their is a huge problem of straight privilege in entertainment: all characters are assumed straight until confirmed otherwise. So yes it needs to be "acknowledge"; but (as Bendis proved) it's not exactly hard to do in one panel; and not making it "all they are about."
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-01-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Question

SIDE NOTE: In looking at pictures of Chen Lu I came across this. Where is this from????

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I'm with you there..an Asian character who's skillset isnt martial arts or computer programming. I dont know how Asians feels about the Collective Man but I always thought he had a unique power. That could have been reworked into something less offensive. Also I love Sabra...and she would make an interesting X-man. With views opposite Scott Summers.

Jimmy Woo. Marvel should be pushing him in the comics and on Agents of SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Cho has a Less stereotypical skill set.... Oh wait never mind