Page 10 of 271 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It's a shame the wonderfully diverse Avengers: AI has come to an end, and so few seem to care. Lots of women in major roles, 3 POC... such a waste of great potential. And now (most likely) the POC characters will fall into limbo (and for Alexis, that could be for good!). Monica Chang might make it into "S.H.I.E.L.D. aid in some comics, and Victor will probably be back (but then again, who knows... he's been limboed for years before this).
    At least it ran longer than Livewires. A shame they didnt even rate a cameo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Marvel needs to bring back the dudes of color of the X-Books: Bedlam, Kenji, Synch, Skin, Bishop (character assassination), etc...
    I liked them.

Also, I quite like Benjamin Deeds in Uncanny X-Men. More of him please.
    Why should we bring back Synch..we just created Tree-man from Africa. You know the mutant talking tree..we are planning a crossover with groot, Our book already is diverse...look beyond your silly color hangups.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 07:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think so too. Bring back Devin Grey and Khari Evans as the creative team as well. And make it an ongoing. I think this would work better than the recent Fearless Defenders concept. But in fairness they never really put any effort into pushing that series and I wasn't feeling the art on that book.
    The Fearless Defenders book lacked direction and seemed to be more of an attempt on Cullen Bunn's part, to throw stuff at the creative wall in the hope that something stuck.

In the end, everything collapsed under the weight of a character that made zero sense as Bunn put way too much focus on Annabelle at the expense of Brunhillda and Misty who should have been the nucleus around which the other characters interacted.

As things stand now, I'd really like to see a Daughters of the Dragon book featuring Colleen and Misty where their friendship is really explored as well as the different approach each woman brings to the game based on their cultural outlooks and personal philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The Fearless Defenders book lacked direction and seemed to be more of an attempt on Cullen Bunn's part, to throw stuff at the creative wall in the hope that something stuck.

In the end, everything collapsed under the weight of a character that made zero sense as Bunn put way too much focus on Annabelle at the expense of Brunhillda and Misty who should have been the nucleus around which the other characters interacted.
    I respect what Cullen was trying to do; and some parts were great (the ideas were SOLID!). But he made three major mistakes: 1) don't use the first arc to introduce a new character, 2) don't take too long to form a new team, 3) he didn't get any A-listers in it.

Caroline leFay was a great concept, but ultimately was little more than "mwwwhahaha, destroy the world." He needed some heavy weights in there; LOVE Hippolyta and Clea was awesome, but you needed to get in someone like Storm or Captain Marvel too (to bring in fans). Songbird would have been a great "cult fan favourite" too. And Annabelle was great, her concept was great, LOVED the body-sharing... but don't do it when you are trying to bring people in. Her story should have been saved for the second arc (AFTER the team had been formed a lot faster - 3 issues max). I remember when the new Atlas series came out, BIGGEST mis-fire was making the first issue about 3Dman. No, no, no; you don't launch a new series, bringing back old fans of Agents of Atlas, and then focus on someone not on that team (yet). That is NOT how you hit the ground running.

One of the most successful "new" series of the past 20 years was the Thunderbolts (in the sense it's a new team, new concept, and it's STUCK - 17 years later we still have that series, and it's spawned other series). First issue - BAM! The whole team is together, got some famous villains, strong concept, and the story was right out there from day one. That's how you launch a new series. In this day and age you can't take two arcs to form a team, it just won't keep fickle readers interested.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-04-2014 at 08:58 AM.

As things stand now, I'd really like to see a Daughters of the Dragon book featuring Colleen and Misty where their friendship is really explored as well as the different approach each woman brings to the game based on their cultural outlooks and personal philosophies.
    The idea seemed more like "let's get our female characters together in a book and what happens." The approach was all wrong imo. Compare that to what Ewing did with Mighty Avengers and his execution on putting that team together. Fearless Defenders was a great idea but I think they chose the wrong mix of characters and the execution wasn't handled as well as it could have been.

Ultimate Member

It's funny that a lot of people complain about the same characters being overexposed and used constantly. Then you get to a book like Fearless Defenders, which was trying to use characters that weren't appearing elsewhere, and a lot of people complained that they should have had MORE A-listers in it. I constantly heard comments (more so on other boards then here admittedly) about "where are the REAL supeheroes" or "call me when the actual GOOD characters show up" or "these characters suck" and so on. I really is a no-win situation for a writer, there will be complaints either way.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's funny that a lot of people complain about the same characters being overexposed and used constantly. Then you get to a book like Fearless Defenders, which was trying to use characters that weren't appearing elsewhere, and a lot of people complained that they should have had MORE A-listers in it. I constantly heard comments (more so on other boards then here admittedly) about "where are the REAL supeheroes" or "call me when the actual GOOD characters show up" or "these characters suck" and so on. I really is a no-win situation for a writer, there will be complaints either way.
    It's OK. The goal isn't to minimize complaints, the goal is to make money.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Honestly they didn't need any A-list characters. Having the title operate separately from the rest of the MU hurt it imo. Sliney's art didn't help matters at all either. If the concept of this team was more in the line of Champions or Force Works and having it tied more closely to what's going on ion the MU, then it may have stood a better chance of succeeding. But yeah, not having any A-listers on this team isn't what hurt the book.

To elaborate on Twitchy, who has a WHO?? following his name -- he was a supporting character in Hawkeye & Mockingbird, probably the main supporting character. Ex-SHIELD intelligence analyst who was abducted by Skrulls. At one point when his everyone is told to make sure their significant others are safe, he says that Roland has taken the dogs to their safe house.

Fun fact: David Lopez modelled Twitchy's appearance on Jim McCann, the writer of the series, who is also gay.

BANNED

You make some valid points but it's worth noting that Mr Bunn didn't actualy do anything groundbreaking with the characters he had on deck.

In fact, it could be argued that he wallpapered most of them in favour of focusing the spotlight on the Annabelle character.

We learnt nothing new about Brunhillda or Misty and most of the other characters just seemed to be there to take up panel space.

As evidenced by Bunn's excellent work on the Magneto book it's pretty obvious that he's a damn good writer especially as he established Magneto's mission objective right from the very first issue

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case with the Fearless Defenders as there never really seemed to be a clear mandate as to what was supposed to be happening,

You make some valid points but it's worth noting that Mr Bunn didn't actualy do anything groundbreaking with the characters he had on deck.

In fact, it could be argued that he wallpapered most of them in favour of focusing the spotlight on the Annabelle character.

We learnt nothing new about Brunhillda or Misty and most of the other characters just seemed to be there to take up panel space.

As evidenced by Bunn's excellent work on the Magneto book it's pretty obvious that he's a damn good writer especially as he established Magneto's mission objective right from the very first issue

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case with the Fearless Defenders as there never really seemed to be a clear mandate as to what was supposed to be happening,
    Or as to who was actually on the team. If they had a core group of characters and focused on them, bringing in others as needed, then the chances of this book surviving could have been much better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Or as to who was actually on the team. If they had a core group of characters and focused on them, bringing in others as needed, then the chances of this book surviving could have been much better.
    Agreed 100%.

The book was a hot mess on so many levels. :smh:

On the otherhand, DC52's Birds of Prey is suprisingly good.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 05-04-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    One of the most successful "new" series of the past 20 years was the Thunderbolts (in the sense it's a new team, new concept, and it's STUCK - 17 years later we still have that series, and it's spawned other series). First issue - BAM! The whole team is together, got some famous villains, strong concept, and the story was right out there from day one. That's how you launch a new series. In this day and age you can't take two arcs to form a team, it just won't keep fickle readers interested.
    That's the key, right there, IMO. None of the Thunderbolts were 'A-listers,' and none of them had really had any sort of consistent characterization (since they'd been, in most cases, people to get punched by super-heroes, in previous appearances, with 'Screaming Mimi' perhaps being the most egregious case, and the most startlingly transformed).

What made that series work, is that, instead of *saying* that they were 'hitting the ground running,' they actually *did* hit the ground running. We didn't get 'how the team got together' until the first annual. We didn't get people sitting around choosing members until, well, pretty much *never.*

The story moved, which seems to be anathema to the current writing style of "let's sit around a table and have a lively debate, and, *six issues into our run,* we'll have a fight, probably with each other, instead of with a villain..." Somehow, using a technique apparently lost to today's writers, the first years of Thunderbolts had character development happening *at the same time* as action and plot advancement. The action didn't have to grind to a halt for a thrilling round table discussion for half an issue whenever Moonstone and Songbird were on different sides of an ethical dilemma (because, generally, they always were!). No spine-tingling scenes of characters sitting around discussing who was suitable for membership (thanks for that, Justice League, very exciting! Not.). :/

Agreed 100%.

The book was a hot mess on so many levels. :smh:

On the otherhand, DC52's Birds of Prey is suprisingly good.
    Yeah, I started out with the DCNU Birds of Prey. Very well written and great art. I trade wait the series now because I can't afford to get too many titles.

If Fearless had started with a core of just Misty, Brunhilde and Hippolyta with Annabelle as supporting character, then that would have been something to build on. They just had so many characters running around, you never knew who was coming or going.

Ultimate Member

Sure, but let's face it...the people who were complaining the loudest about lack of A-Listers weren't going to pick up the comic anyway. I agree with the other commentors who say that the initial premise for Fearless was sound, but the execution fell short. I want more diversity in mainstream comics, but I still want the comic to be good.