Page 105 of 271 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 4057

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    That asker is an asshole. Straight-up, a racist, misogynistic asshole. "Why couldn't she be white?" Because then the Muslim experience in the US couldn't be explored, and certain stories couldn't be told. "Not as hot?" Why does that even matter? Do you judge female characters based solely on their appearance? Do you judge real women based solely on their appearance, too?

What a dickbag.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    You don't actually read the book, do you? Because so far, this actually hasn't added another layer. So far, it's had nothing at all to do with the Ghost Rider continuity. Eli, the spirit empowering Robbie, doesn't even know about the Ghost Rider. While there's still some mystery to Eli that will need to be explored, the indications so far are that the Robbie Ghost Rider is entirely unconnected to the previous Ghost Riders, and is just some spirit wanting to burn shit down.

As for "fixing the continuity"? To be blunt, there's not many people who actually give a shit about the Ghost Rider continuity. The Ghost Rider series was big in the '90s, but the concept is one that hasn't kept much interest. A series designed to "fix the continuity" is, of necessity, going to be mired in the continuity. It's going to be something aimed specifically and exclusively at long-time Ghost Rider fans who care enough about the character to want to explore the minutiae of 20-year-old (and older) stories. A series designed to pander to a small number of readers is one that's designed to fail. So to hell with any continuity snarls with the Ghost Rider. Forget them and move on and do something that's going to appeal to more than a handful of readers.

The current series is one that's actually designed to appeal to more readers. It has great writing, compelling characters, a well-handled concept, great kinetic art. If you refuse to read it because it's not hung up on shit no one else gives a damn about, then that's your problem. For my part, this is the first time I have ever given a damn about the Ghost Rider concept, and I appreciate that it's a comic that's promoting diversity, and it's one of a relatively small number of titles that also shows poverty (the other notable one being Nova, which also has a Latino lead, and which also has gotten an absolutely insane amount of backlash from obsessive fans of the previous white version of the character - interesting that Latino versions of characters seem to get so much hate; I'm betting that if the new Ghost Rider or the new Nova were white, there'd be a lot less pushback).
    Then why call it ghost rider if it has nothing to do with previous ghostriders? Nobody gives a shit about this ghost rider hence why it will be cancelled in three months and Robbie will end up like Ol girl. It's gotten backlash because it F**kin' sucks. Like I said I don't give a crap that the lead is latino, if there was a new white host I'd say the same shit. Just like I was pissed when ketch got passed over for blaze for some reason.

The new Ghost Rider series has actually gotten quite a bit of positive reviews. It has its detractors, but also its advocates.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

The new Ghost Rider series is overrated by the very few who read it. I've tried to enjoy it and I just can't. It simply couldn't have lasted very long with yet another new host, minority or not. Him being called Ghost Rider isn't enough of a hook for new readers, and deviating from the established mythos made it unappealing for Ghost Rider fans. Essentially, it shot itself in the foot from the start. Personally, I can't say we even got a good story out of it. The origin was bland, it lacked an interesting supporting cast and it used too many cliches in order to try to make you feel sorry for an otherwise selfish/irresponsible lead character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The current run on Marvel -- especially after the recent infusion of "minority" led books -- is a better reflection of the current state of the American population than we had in the past, but it's still not there yet.

Underrepresented right now are mostly Latinos, Asians and LGBT characters

And there's still the issue of importance to the story -- the last nonwhite character I remember having a serious and prominent role in an event (X-Men wise) is Bishop back in Age of Apolocalypse... and look where he is now.

Well here is another stat that I discovered. As far I can tell Falcon is about to step in some very select company. How many times has a minority headline more than one book.

Meaning a solo book and a team book (regularly appearing).

Falcon will do it next month.

Storm is doing it now and might be doing 3 titles. I'm not up to date on the X-Cult and the various Avengers team books.

Miles Morales is doing now.

I am not reading Nova-so if he is a minority count him as probably 1 of the 2 nonblack ones. I want to count Jubliee despite her ongoing was cut to a mini. I think she should count.

Before them-
    Black Panther-his book and you can debate his and Storm's stint in Fantastic Four

The MIA Bishop-was he in the X-Men when his solo came out?

I want to say War Machine but I'm not sure if he was in a team book when his first solo came out.

Night Thrasher

Black Panther might have been the first but I'm not sure due to his stints on Avengers and you could say the same for James Rhodes when he took over for Tony.

9 people of color to headline more than 1 book.

And for you DC fans-for Dc OWNED properties-Jaime Reyes & Vibe (most recent). While the first guy under the Dc logo was someone named Virgil O. Hawkins. 21 years ago.

And how is it pandering when in reality you have only 7 (well 9 if you counted Iron Patriot & Nova) that feature a minority in the lead role?

Ultimate Member

"SPIDER-GWEN Artist Robbi Rodriguez: 'She's a Career High Note'"

"There are instances in comics where the right people do the right thing at the right time and it creates not only a sensation, but something tangible that people can latch on to and embrace it wholeheartedly. Robbi Rodriguez's Spider-Gwen costume made internet waves before a single page had been published. The costume was simply published on his Instagram account with the hashtag "spidergwen" and what seemed like overnight, became a hit with fans across the board. It, along with a sellout of an introductory one-shot, has led to Spider-Gwen the ongoing series, spinning out of Spider-Verse next year, with Rodriguez joined by writer Jason Latour.

Newsarama sat down with Rodriguez at this year's New York Comic Con to talk about the success of Spider-Gwen and the mystery of how and why people clamored for more (turns out Marvel was listening), and the surprise that she was given her own ongoing series at the beginning of next year...

Newsarama: So, Robbi, before Spider-Gwen even debuted, it already was making its round on Tumblr, Twitter, etc. I mean you had people making costumes within a week of showing the image. What was that like?

Robbi Rodriguez: That was weird and kind of mind-blowing! For one thing, I discovered what Tumblr was [laughs]. Just seeing how many people connected to that costume. I drew that so it would be simple since I would be doing it for 20 pages. So just seeing the simplicity of it connect with so many people actually makes me see the future a bit more brighter now. It's good to see people want this level of simplicity again..."

spider-gwen.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/22478-spide...high-note.html

Ultimate Member

"Why Sony Will Push For A Spider-Gwen Film"

With The Amazing Spider-Man films receiving just a lukewarm response, is Sony trying to hit another jackpot?

Spider-Gwen, Marvel’s biggest character find of 2014, seems primed for a big-screen treatment. The spider-powered Gwen Stacy from an alternate universe is already a massive hit with readers across the board. Despite her brief "Edge of Spider-Verse" story to prove her worth as a character, Spider-Gwen has already infiltrated a sizable chunk of popular culture. Marvel already awarded the character with her own ongoing series. Fans adopted her instantly iconic costume at New York Comic Con. The mainstream media has given her some ink. Heck, there’s even a real-life adaptation of the single that Spider-Gwen’s alter-ego performed in the pages of "Edge of Spider-Verse #2." This is all just a long way of explaining that the girl’s got game right now.

So will Sony, which holds the rights to producing and Spider-Man related film, jump on the Stacy-Zeitgeist? It's not the most complicated web to untangle. In their slate of “Spider-Verse” films announced earlier this year, Sony specifically cited a “female-led” film within their forecast. Aiming for a 2017 release date, the unannounced movie already has screenwriter Lisa Nolan attached. By then, Gwen will have matured into a fully realized character with plenty of dramatic source material to pull from..."

Of course, the biggest factor in creating a Spider-Gwen movie hasn’t much to do with the character at all (sorry, comic fans). Actress Emma Stone is the real golden goose here. With Gwen already established in their Spider-Man universe, Sony must see their chance at a female-led franchise with a super-star actress already built in. This could be their Hunger Games, but with bigger box office returns..."

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/18/why-...der-gwen-film/

BANNED

Doubtfull, Avi Arad is of the cloth that "if it ain't Peter Parker it means nothing to me". He's the guy that shot down all talk of possibly seeing Miles real quick, he couldn't even give a bs tap dance around it comment so a spider powered version of Gwen( who they just killed off ) is even less likely.

Now Marvel Animation doing something is more likely

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

They could always do a She-Venom movie:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post

Ohhh gasface.

BANNED

Daniel Way's run featured a woman wearing the symbiote but again Arad seems resistance to change if he doesn't feel it

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Daniel Way's run featured a woman wearing the symbiote but again Arad seems resistance to change if he doesn't feel it
    I read that entire Venom series and while it started out slow I'm sad that it was never truly completed. Patricia Robertson is a character who I think should be explored more:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    The new Ghost Rider series has actually gotten quite a bit of positive reviews. It has its detractors, but also its advocates.
    Like everything. It was a hard sell at the beginning. Its not like ghost rider has a long run since the 90s. Even fans complained that it wasn't Johnny blaze. I would like to see Robbie story continue in a team book like mighty or young avengers

BANNED

I read that entire Venom series and while it started out slow I'm sad that it was never truly completed. Patricia Robertson is a character who I think should be explored more:

I wonder if done last year or now would it get a complete end, I really dog that run

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I wonder if done last year or now would it get a complete end, I really dog that run
    More than a year ago, I asked Remender on twitter if he was going to go back to it and he said no. I though that it might have been cool if Flash were to run into Patricia and if everything was wrapped in a four or five issue arc. Also, we need to find out what happened to Eddie, The Suit, and the giant Venom that was created when the two symbiotes merged.