Page 12 of 271 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh cool, thank-you. I'll add him to the list.
    Here is a link to the series, can you recognize the name of his lover from the cast list?

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=230072

Also, being a WWII story, is he still alive?
    No, he's dead.

And it WAS American Ace.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Perry_Webb_%28Earth-616%29

And here's a writeup on Captain Flame by someone with a much better memory than me.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Frank_Cortez_%28Earth-616%29

I don't have the kiss scan, but I have this one.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    They never published the end of the series.
    Sadly, they did not, so we'll never learn about his connection to Loki and why he was killed and what the big cover up was.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The really screwed John Wraith over in Wolverine: Origins. That was just a bad movie.
    I agree. What's really sad is that Wraith went out more heroicly then he did when Frank Tieri killed him off in his crappy run on the book. To add insult to injury, Jason Aaron brought Wraith back in his first issue of WOLVERINE,turned him into a preacher,and then killed him off again. Crap like this speaks volumes.

Ultimate Member

If this is true, then respect to CBR for taking a stand.

----------

"If you’re reading this site, you probably love comic books — but many of you may wonder how much it loves you back. For an industry that’s already niche, American comics has seemed oddly willing to narrow its audience. For a medium that prides itself on community, American comics has been quick to close its doors. For an artform that can show readers anything, American comics has seemed content to show us the familiar.

To the outside world, the comic fan fits a certain type. We’re so used to the idea that comics favours an audience of heterosexual white men that we sometimes forget that we are comics, and that’s not who we are. Collectively, we’re so much more than that. It’s as a reminder of that fact that the new Tumblr blog We Are Comics exists.

Writer, editor, and ComicsAlliance contributor Rachel Edidin came up with the idea for We Are Comics as a response to the harassment of another writer, editor and ComicsAlliance contributor, Janelle Asselin.

As we reported here previously, Asselin was sent rape threats after her critique of a comic book cover. Not a dream, not a what-if, not an imaginary story; rape threats for critiquing a comic book cover that some men liked. There ought not be even one person in the world so small, hateful and vile that they think this is acceptable, but in comics there’s an entire culture of this kind of behaviour.

As Edidin told Fanboy Comics, one of the hateful comment sent to Asselin really stuck with her; a comment that claimed, “Women in comics are the deviation, the invading body, the cancer. We are the cure, the norm, the natural order.

(This isn’t merely about those who specifically harassed Asselin: [CBR executive producer Jonah] Weiland says without equivocation that the new forums will be a place with “zero tolerance for intimidation or abuse of all members of the community, regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and gender identification.” He also acknowledges his own role, saying that the face of the CBR community become one that no longer align with his values while he “didn’t take enough notice of what was happening.”)

Edidin teamed up with Arturo Garcia, Sigrid Ellis, Elle Collins and Jen Vaughn to create We Are Comics and send a different message. The Tumblr is dedicated to showcasing the diversity of the comic community among fans and professionals alike. Readers and creators are invited to post a picture of themselves with the message “I am comics” or “We are comics”, and they are encouraged to include a testimonial about their relationship to comics.

In the past few days the site has posted dozens of submissions from passionate comic fans inside and outside the industry, and their voices and faces present a very different image of the industry than the one we’ve come to accept as true. The project brings men and women, parents and children, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and people from around the world in a show of solidarity. It’s a wonderful and affirming demonstration of the real community behind comics.

Contributors thus far include Arielle, whose love of Batman helped her through her Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis; Christianne, who made her own comics while coming to accept her trans identity; Alison, who returned to comics after a twenty year break and is now a published Image creator; Joe, whose love of the X-Men inspired him to create one of the first LGBT superhero comics; Olivia, who wants to teach her sons the values of her favorite heroes; Stephanie, a cosplayer looking for the courage to cosplay as comics characters; Jamal, who came to comics through the 1978 Superman movie and wants to pass on his love of the medium to his daughter; and Liz, whose therapist reached out to her eight-year-old self with Swamp Thing back-issues.

There are straight white men on the site as well. Readers and creators who fit that demographic sweet spot of straight white men aged 18-39 are welcome to contribute to the project, though a statement of solidarity goes a long way towards showing that they embrace the “We Are Comics” spirit..."

iamcomics.jpg

http://comicsalliance.com/we-are-com...y-i-am-comics/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-08-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Links to graphs showing the diversity of Marvel and DC comics. Included is only one sample, but there are many more provided in the corresponding link.

--------

"Last week, redditor mcon96 made a post in /r/comicbooks titled "Some people say there's not enough diversity in comics, so I decided to add it up and find out for myself."...

diversitychart.jpg

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...-charts-2.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Member

Link to more info on the CBR reset. Relevant via our discussion of said topics in the previous "Minority" thread, which was originally created as a supplement to an article on the lack of female and other "minority" heroes.

For those who still claim that these issues are irrelevant, reality continues to prove otherwise.

-------

"CBR Overhauls Forums In Wake of Widespread Discussion of Treatment of Women in Comics"

"Over the last few weeks, the comics community has been embroiled in a discussion over how and why women trying to enter and exist in the comics community so consistently find it to be an unwelcoming or even toxic place. It’s not a new discussion, but it’s been particularly widespread and eventful this time around, and it’s spawned some pretty cool initiatives from folks who are hoping that there won’t be many more discussions like this.

Now the comic book news site and nearly twenty year old forum Comic Book Resources, “patient zero,” so to speak, of the current wave of talk, has announced that they will be rebooting their forums in an effort to begin anew without those who wish to intimidate or abuse other community members.

Jonah Weiland, executive producer of the site, explains:

"There has been a negativity and nastiness that has existed on the CBR forums for too long. Two weeks ago, that long-growing ugliness became more pronounced than ever. CBR published an article by guest contributor Janelle Asselin, critiquing the cover to DC Comics’ upcoming “Teen Titans” #1. Some of you liked the article, some of you didn’t. We encouraged readers to share their feedback in the CBR Forums.

Unfortunately, what happened next was unacceptable — so-called “fans” around the Internet, on various message boards and social media, including the CBR Forums, attacked Janelle personally, threatening her with rape and assault. These same “fans” found her e-mail, home address and other personal information, and used it to harass and terrorize her, including an attempted hacking of her bank account.

All over a comic book cover critique. Just think about that for a second.

If you’re one of the people who participated in any of these reprehensible acts, my message is simple: [emphasis Weiland's] You are not welcome anywhere on CBR, and in our opinion, you have no place in the comics industry."

http://www.themarysue.com/comic-book...es-new-forums/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I did enjoy Fearless Defenders, but yeah, I can't say it was a particularly good book. What I will say is that #7, by Stephanie Hans, was one of the most gorgeous comics of the year. I love her work.
    Is that the Clea issue? That was the best issue (along w. Hippolyta's Age of Ultron story)

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    No, he's dead.
    And it WAS American Ace.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Perry_Webb_%28Earth-616%29
    And here's a writeup on Captain Flame by someone with a much better memory than me.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Frank_Cortez_%28Earth-616%29

I don't have the kiss scan, but I have this one.

Thank-you so much for this, I will update the front page!

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Links to graphs showing the diversity of Marvel and DC comics. Included is only one sample, but there are many more provided in the corresponding link.

--------

"Last week, redditor mcon96 made a post in /r/comicbooks titled "Some people say there's not enough diversity in comics, so I decided to add it up and find out for myself."...

Really interesting results. Obviously females is where comics fall down the most; followed by latino and LGBT. I have being saying for years the number of latino heroes is shockingly low. Very surprised about the ratio of Asian heroes. I guess (because I'm in Britain) I thought the difference in the US would be bigger. Pleased to see how well Marvel is doing with black representation though.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

--------

diversitychart.jpg

And once again, like most fan made polls/studies, they missed the point by aiming towards characters instead of creators/editorial.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    And once again, like most fan made polls/studies, they missed the point by aiming towards characters instead of creators/editorial.
    One person added DC to the equation and many others are contributing characters that weren't commonly known to be "minorities". Pretty sure you can add an "editorial" chart as well if you want -- this is a group effort.

Here's the direct link to the thread for anyone interested in contributing (and getting a cool little avatar in the process):

http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/c..._diversity_in/

-----------

"[–] Timtankard 3 points 10 days ago

It's a good thing there's no Bechdel Test for comics. Maybe the Liefeld Test where a female character has to contribute to the story beyond being captured or posing sexy or sleeping with another character.

[–] ScornfulLysanderCaptain America 12 points 9 days ago

Sounds like a good test, but I think it needs a new name. I think the Liefeld test has something to do with feet..."
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-08-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

So Fox has cast the role of Dr. Franklin Storm in the FF reboot:

And here everyone thought Johnny was going to be adopted.

Awesome news! I like that Sue is the adopted one (assume she is adopted); that's a really great way to go, and avoid an overused cliche in Hollywood films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    So Fox has cast the role of Dr. Franklin Storm in the FF reboot:

And here everyone thought Johnny was going to be adopted.

Bring on The Wire/Fantastic 4 fanfic

So this could either mean that Sue is adopted or that she and johnny are stepsiblings, very interesting, blended families are still families.

Awesome news! I like that Sue is the adopted one (assume she is adopted); that's a really great way to go, and avoid an overused cliche in Hollywood films.
    I'd say that it's a relief and a very interesting twist. Say what you will about Fox, but I like that they're doing something different and modern with the F4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I'd say that it's a relief and a very interesting twist. Say what you will about Fox, but I like that they're doing something different and modern with the F4.
    Fingers crossed they out Johnny too. Now THAT would be bold! (won't happen, but we can dream )