Page 6 of 271 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    If it's not on-panel, it's not canon.
    Agreed. Put another way, the author's intent is irrelevant. The text is all that matters; anything external to the text is inadmissible.

This is why you don't ask Christopher Nolan about the ending of Inception. His opinion doesn't matter, only the events presented on-screen and your ability to defend your interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ha, fair point. Would you truly though classify Deadpool as a cross-dresser?
    I don't see why not. It's not like that's the only occasion he's been shown crossdressing - I can think of at least three other occasions of the top of my head. I'd agree he's maybe not the best representation since it's generally played for laughs, but then Deadpool is played for laughs mostly, and the laughter generally isn't cruel.

I would favour Sunspot; since it would justify the long wait, and be a bold choice.
    A very bold choice indeed. I don't see it though. Roberto has always been portrayed as being interested in females. I don't think it would seem natural.

I know there are always jokes about him & Sam being a "secret couple", but to me they have always been presented as best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Agreed. Put another way, the author's intent is irrelevant. The text is all that matters; anything external to the text is inadmissible.

This is why you don't ask Christopher Nolan about the ending of Inception. His opinion doesn't matter, only the events presented on-screen and your ability to defend your interpretation.

Eloquently (and perfectly) put.

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    I don't see why not. It's not like that's the only occasion he's been shown crossdressing - I can think of at least three other occasions of the top of my head. I'd agree he's maybe not the best representation since it's generally played for laughs, but then Deadpool is played for laughs mostly, and the laughter generally isn't cruel.
    I guess that's why I'm not sure about including it, but to be fair he DOES dress in drag more than any other hero I can think of. So yeah, shall we call Deadpool Marvel's first cross-dressing hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    A very bold choice indeed. I don't see it though. Roberto has always been portrayed as being interested in females. I don't think it would seem natural.
    Poor choice of word, my friend. That could come off a little offensive to the wrong person/taken the wrong way (considering LGBT people often are called "unnatural" by religious zealots).

I know there are always jokes about him & Sam being a "secret couple", but to me they have always been presented as best friends.
    It would be an interesting avenue to explore. Even with past relationships, Sunspot could be bisexual? Or he could come out as gay, and been in denial of his feelings (i.e. he mistook his great feelings for Cannonball as friendship, when in fact it was more than that). So many different ways to play it.

But I agree... I double that will come to pass (hell, at this rate, I have my doubts if anyone will get outed at all).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-02-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Poor choice of word, my friend. That could come off a little offensive to the wrong person/taken the wrong way (considering LGBT people often are called "unnatural" by religious zealots).

It would be an interesting avenue to explore. Even with past relationships, Sunspot could be bisexual? Or he could come out as gay, and been in denial of his feelings (i.e. he mistook his great feelings for Cannonball as friendship, when in fact it was more than that). So many different ways to play it.

But I agree... I double that will come to pass (hell, at this rate, I have my doubts if anyone will get outed at all).
    You knew what I meant, didn't you ? Let's try "realistic"

You knew what I meant, didn't you ? Let's try "realistic"
    Oh, god of course I knew what you meant (I hope I didn't imply otherwise, apologies if it came off like that), I was just making you aware of being careful what language you use when discussing LGBT issues. Much like the code-naming of "Bull" as a new Wakandan, it comes with a bad connotation when applied to a black male (one, to be fair, I had never heard -- I'm guessing neither had the writer). That doesn't mean the writer intended it that way, but it does me we should all strive to be educated on these issues when such a situation comes up to stop such things happening in the future. If that makes sense?

Out of curiosity, I was wondering with the whole conundrum of shapeshifters and gender identity about Apex (Katy Bashir/Tim Bashir) from Avenger's Arena. While Katy and Tim were shown to be two separate personalities who shared a body, the body changed sex dependent on which personality was dominant at the time. I don't think at all the character(s) were meant to be trans representation, but it still made me wince when Katy turned out to be a villain.

Oh, god of course I knew what you meant (I hope I didn't imply otherwise, apologies if it came off like that), I was just making you aware of being careful what language you use when discussing LGBT issues. Much like the code-naming of "Bull" as a new Wakandan, it comes with a bad connotation when applied to a black male (one, to be fair, I had never heard -- I'm guessing neither had the writer). That doesn't mean the writer intended it that way, but it does me we should all strive to be educated on these issues when such a situation comes up to stop such things happening in the future. If that makes sense?
    Totally makes sense, no apologies necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    Victor Alvarez and Ava Ayala are Power Man and White Tiger. Versus Deadly Nightshade and Black Tarantula. Give me a mini with that kind of awesome in it. Lots of kung fu, crazy science, chi, and magic.
    It would be cool to do it in the vein of the Daughters of the Dragon mini a few years back. Speaking of which, we need another DotD series.

This would be my line up:
    Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    Kitty Pryde
    Tarantula
    Spider-Woman

So the current LGBT characters in comics are:
    - Amazing X-men. Northstar
    - Uncanny X-men. Benjamin Deeds
    - X-men. Bling! Anole. "Psylocke"
    - X-force. Fantomex. "Psylocke"
    - Avengers Undercover. Cullen Bloodstone. (maybe Anachronism, down the line)
    - Hawkeye. Finch&Marcus

N.B. Psylocke (due to her same-sex relationship with Cluster is put in "")

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    Out of curiosity, I was wondering with the whole conundrum of shapeshifters and gender identity about Apex (Katy Bashir/Tim Bashir) from Avenger's Arena. While Katy and Tim were shown to be two separate personalities who shared a body, the body changed sex dependent on which personality was dominant at the time. I don't think at all the character(s) were meant to be trans representation, but it still made me wince when Katy turned out to be a villain.
    I never read Apex; so I don't know the full details, but I don't think it makes them transgender. Much like Dallas Riordan/Atlas in Thunderbolts. Sharing a body (if the metaphor isn't explored in terms of gender) doesn't, in my mind, make them transgender.

Totally makes sense, no apologies necessary!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-02-2014 at 12:10 PM.

So the current LGBT characters in comics are:
    - Amazing X-men. Northstar
    - Uncanny X-men. Christopher Deeds
    - X-men. Bling! Anole. "Psylocke"
    - X-force. Fantomex. "Psylocke"
    - Avengers Undercover. Cullen Bloodstone. (maybe Anachronism, down the line)
    - Hawkeye. Finch&Marcus

N.B. Psylocke (due to her same-sex relationship with Cluster is put in "")

I never read Apex; so I don't know the full details, but I don't think it makes them transgender. Much like Dallas Riordan/Atlas in Thunderbolts. Sharing a body (if the metaphor isn't explored in terms of gender) doesn't, in my mind, make them transgender.

I think you mean Benjamin Deeds

I think you mean Benjamin Deeds
    Oh buggery. Benjamin Deeds and Christopher Muse... always keep imalgimating them. Generally it's Benjamin Muse... darn brain! Thanks for the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by AgPhoenix View Post
    Well, there's always Spider-Girl/Arana who could be apart of a Heroes 4 Hire relaunch.

As for Agents of Atlas (which was one of Marvel's best books before this current era), I'd love to see the Hispanic Yellow Jacket resurrected and put on that team.
    I loved Rita DeMara as YJ in Guardians of the Galaxy. I was totally bummed when she got killed off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It would be cool to do it in the vein of the Daughters of the Dragon mini a few years back. Speaking of which, we need another DotD series.

This would be my line up:
    Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    Kitty Pryde
    Tarantula
    Spider-Woman
    Agreed, there really should be another Daughters of the Dragon solo book again with Colleen Wing and Misty Knight being the nucleus around which a number of other female stars could form.

Something like that would definitely be worth checking out especially if it was written by someone genuinely interested in exploring the frienship between Colleen and Misty without falling back on tired cliches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Agreed, there really should be another Daughters of the Dragon solo book again with Colleen Wing and Misty Knight being the nucleus around which a number of other female stars could form.

Something like that would definitely be worth checking out especially if it was written by someone genuinely interested in exploring the frienship between Colleen and Misty without falling back on tired cliches.

I love Khari Evans art! Why Marvel isn't giving her a high profile title is beyond me.