Page 63 of 271 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

I'm glad to see Bobbi showing up. I've been calling for her pretty much from the start of the show. She's a really cool character.

Ultimate Member

"For Asgard! Women cosplaying as the new Thor"

"It has only been two weeks since Marvel announced that that a woman would take up Thor’s hammer in the comics, but attendees at Comic-Con 2014 have eagerly embraced the news. This year, Marvel is the top choice for cosplayers looking for inspiration, and mixed in with all the Deadpools, Captain Americas, and Winter Soldiers, we found a number of women wielding Mjolnir and excited about the direction Marvel is taking its comics..."

hammertime.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/entertainmen...s-the-new-thor

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    "For Asgard! Women cosplaying as the new Thor"

"It has only been two weeks since Marvel announced that that a woman would take up Thor’s hammer in the comics, but attendees at Comic-Con 2014 have eagerly embraced the news. This year, Marvel is the top choice for cosplayers looking for inspiration, and mixed in with all the Deadpools, Captain Americas, and Winter Soldiers, we found a number of women wielding Mjolnir and excited about the direction Marvel is taking its comics..."
    Poor new Thor. She has yet to debut at her solo comic, but already get so much hate because "this chick replacing male Thor". She can be an awesome and well-written character, but nope. I understand that some people don't like woman as Thor because Thor is not a codename, but hating on a new character is a big no-no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Poor new Thor. She has yet to debut at her solo comic, but already get so much hate because "this chick replacing male Thor". She can be an awesome and well-written character, but nope. I understand that some people don't like woman as Thor because Thor is not a codename, but hating on a new character is a big no-no for me.
    I know what you mean. I remember when Kyle Rayner was invented out of thin air to replace Hal Jordan in "Emerald Twilight." I thought Emerald Twilight had some promising ideas which were very poorly handled. I fellt it was just being done for shock value, following in the traditions of such then-recent events as Bruce Wayne being replaced as "Batman" by Jean Paul Valley, and Superman dropping dead and having four different successors spring up simultaneously ("Reign of the Supermen"). I was unhappy about it. But I didn't start foaming at the mouth and screaming "I hate Kyle!" Instead, I read the next couple of issues of the GL title by Ron Marz, giving Kyle a fair chance to impress me . . . quickly realized that I found him pretty boring . . . and shrugged and dropped the title, figuring that sooner or later Hal Jordan would be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I know what you mean. I remember when Kyle Rayner was invented out of thin air to replace Hal Jordan in "Emerald Twilight." I thought Emerald Twilight had some promising ideas which were very poorly handled. I fellt it was just being done for shock value, following in the traditions of such then-recent events as Bruce Wayne being replaced as "Batman" by Jean Paul Valley, and Superman dropping dead and having four different successors spring up simultaneously ("Reign of the Supermen"). I was unhappy about it. But I didn't start foaming at the mouth and screaming "I hate Kyle!" Instead, I read the next couple of issues of the GL title by Ron Marz, giving Kyle a fair chance to impress me . . . quickly realized that I found him pretty boring . . . and shrugged and dropped the title, figuring that sooner or later Hal Jordan would be back.
    I don't know much about Green Lantern other than... all of them (expect John Stewart) are womanizer and have many girlfriend(?) Plus their lover often dead or turned into villain to fuel their manpain. Two years ago, when DC announced that Green Lantern will be gay, someone protest and don't want gay Green Lantern because being a Green Lantern boyfriend is a death sentence for all gay/bi men. Welp

That's said. I'm waiting for this new Thor. Maybe male Thor can act as a mentor to her.
    Last edited by Kencana; 07-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but one of the upcoming Hawkeye issues is told in sign language. That's really cool in terms of a minority so often overlooked in comics (truly disabled characters are very rare). It's a shame Hawkeye didn't remain half-deaf (but I think Fraction's comic is a good nod to that time period where he was).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post

I remember those days, I remember being introduced to the GL mythos through Kyle and basically being told I know nothing as the only true GL is Hal and how I am everything that is wrong with comic fans. This is again being played but this time with fans vs cosplayers and Rider fans vs Sam fans

Older comic fans abhor change

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but one of the upcoming Hawkeye issues is told in sign language. That's really cool in terms of a minority so often overlooked in comics (truly disabled characters are very rare). It's a shame Hawkeye didn't remain half-deaf (but I think Fraction's comic is a good nod to that time period where he was).
    I think it's a fantastic idea, and I hope it's executed. And I don't mind the delays brought about because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    I don't know much about Green Lantern other than... all of them (expect John Stewart) are womanizer and have many girlfriend(?) Plus their lover often dead or turned into villain to fuel their manpain. Two years ago, when DC announced that Green Lantern will be gay, someone protest and don't want gay Green Lantern because being a Green Lantern boyfriend is a death sentence for all gay/bi men. Welp

That's said. I'm waiting for this new Thor. Maybe male Thor can act as a mentor to her.
    The green lantern you're talking about is alan scott, and the funny thing about that is his boyfriend did die. Earth 2 is one of the most diverse books DC has, but they don't talk about it, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think it's a fantastic idea, and I hope it's executed. And I don't mind the delays brought about because of it.
    Based on the "pizza dog" issue, I think it will be excellent. There is some preview art I will post later, it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I remember those days, I remember being introduced to the GL mythos through Kyle and basically being told I know nothing as the only true GL is Hal and how I am everything that is wrong with comic fans. This is again being played but this time with fans vs cosplayers and Rider fans vs Sam fans

I've seen that last sentiment expressed many times over the years (although sometimes a critic just says that about "fans" of comic books, instead of specifying that he means "older fans"), but I always think such sweeping general statements are drastically oversimplifying a more complicated situation.

I think it would be more fair to put it this way:

When an "old" superhero character suddenly gets "replaced" by someone else taking over "the same role" (such as Batman, Green Lantern, Captain America, or Thor), certain things will always happen:

1. Some fans will start screaming bloody murder!

2. Some fans, even if they love the "old hero," will shrug and say philosophically, "I figure it won't last -- so why should I let my blood pressure go through the roof because of a Temporary Stunt?"

3. Some fans will say, "It's about time they let some fresh air into that comic book title! The old user of that role has just been treading water for years without really going anywhere! I've been yelling for them to find the courage to shake things up somehow, and this looks like one way to do it!"

4. Some fans will say, "(Yawn.) Sure, I know who he is [the old-timer being replaced], but I've hardly paid any attention to that character's solo adventures in the last eight or ten years, so what do I care? Just don't mess with my favorite characters in the same universe, and I'll be happy! If the publisher wants to go hog-wild with 'replacing' every other superhero they own -- all the guys and gals who aren't my favorites -- that's fine and dandy! Maybe some of those replacements will be very interesting, and will persuade me to spend a few bucks each month after I've picked up all my favorite titles at the local comics shop!"

5. And some fans -- the "silent majority," you might say -- won't loudly express themselves in online forums, but will continue to buy some of the company's titles each month, basically "voting with their wallets." There's no way to gauge in advance how they will actually "vote" where the latest example of a "replacement superhero" is concerned.

All of which adds up to something more complicated than just "older comic book fans abhor change."

I think what it comes down to is that the typical fan is thinking: "There are some bits and pieces of this comic book universe which I absolutely adore just the way they are. Leave 'em alone! Everything else is negotiable!"

But since individual fans have different tastes, just about any "change" DC or Marvel tries to make will cause some to scream at the top of their lungs -- and after seeing that screaming come in cycles for many years, an observer can get the false impression that it's as simple as "all long-time fans hate all possible changes to this company's well-established characters!"
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 07-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post

Yeah, I get this - it was Sam that introduced me to cosmic Marvel & I really like him, but the majority of Nova fans on here want Rich Rider back. Every time you say something good about Nova, they take it as an attack on the original - it's really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Yeah, I get this - it was Sam that introduced me to cosmic Marvel & I really like him, but the majority of Nova fans on here want Rich Rider back. Every time you say something good about Nova, they take it as an attack on the original - it's really annoying.
    It does get really old really fast, and I like sam and richie, they're both great in their own ways. I read Sam's book first, and that made me want to learn about Richie. I don't like that Richie's gone, but I'm not calling Sam NINO or anything like that. Part of the reason why I think kamala is doing so well, aside from the writing and art, is the fact that Carol isn't dead or missing, if she was, I don't think people would warm up to kamala so much.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It does get really old really fast, and I like sam and richie, they're both great in their own ways. I read Sam's book first, and that made me want to learn about Richie. I don't like that Richie's gone, but I'm not calling Sam NINO or anything like that. Part of the reason why I think kamala is doing so well, aside from the writing and art, is the fact that Carol isn't dead or missing, if she was, I don't think people would warm up to kamala so much.
    I agree, what really bothers me though is every issue review thread for Nova is dominated by Rider fans saying how rider would have been so much better. There are plenty of threads where we can talk about problems with the Nova series, and how marvel has handled it; those threads aren't the place though. Bringing this back to the thread topic, I think another problem Sam has suffered from (in the eyes of older fans) is being a younger character; if he was another 20-something white guy instead of a teen half-latino, I think that olders fans would have given him a fairer chance. Sam was just a bit too far out of their comfort zone.

The green lantern you're talking about is alan scott, and the funny thing about that is his boyfriend did die. Earth 2 is one of the most diverse books DC has, but they don't talk about it, at all.
    Welp. So it's true at all. Green Lantern's lover deemed to die

Part of the reason why I think kamala is doing so well, aside from the writing and art, is the fact that Carol isn't dead or missing, if she was, I don't think people would warm up to kamala so much.
    Well. You said the truth.