Page 9 of 271 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Marvel needs to bring back the dudes of color of the X-Books: Bedlam, Kenji, Synch, Skin, Bishop (character assassination), etc...
    I liked them.
    I miss Skin And I really want Bishop to join Scott's team now he's back and redeemed. Also, Synch would be a PERFECT boyfriend for Anole. Make it happen Marvel!

Also, I quite like Benjamin Deeds in Uncanny X-Men. More of him please.
    Agreed. His power is really cool, a great twist/take on a shapeshifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Agree with the bolded 1000%. This is something that really needs to be addresses as well as more females of color.
    I hope the Avengers continue this current trend of using more WOC in their comics. It's a shame nearly all the "major" Avenger females in Avengers lore are Caucasian.

His action weren't race related, I get that. However making him into what he is now robbed many of someone to identify with, as there aren't that many people like him in the X-Verse and he still hasn't recovered from the treatment he received.
    I think Uncanny X-force went a long way in redeeming him, and his history with the Reveant's was very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    But is it a retcon when it was never established on-panel? Interviews aren't canon. My concern isn't a writer deciding to ignore Hickman's intentions. My concern is a writer simply not knowing about Hickman's intentions. I read Secret Warriors, and I had no idea that Stonewall was supposed to be gay. I actually thought he and Yoyo were a couple. The name wasn't a tip-off to me (and, as it turns out, it wasn't meant to be a tip-off - according to this article, Hickman's said he wasn't aware of the significance of the name to the gay community, and it just wound up being a coincidence). I don't think it's tough to believe that someone else could wind up having the same reading I did, and so wind up writing the character as straight, simply because they never happened on any of the external articles where it was mentioned.
    Agreed. It's important to remember a character isn't owned by the writer that creates them, they are owned by Marvel. It's one of the major differences between creative owned comics and the "Big Two": it's not 'your' character. The very nature of comics is change, evolution and expansion. And while writers might not be happy with it, that doesn't effect the canon of what actually is written IN THE COMIC.

Which is why I 100% disagree with BladeX that "if the original creator doesn't see them as X or Y it shouldn't happen." This is false. The writer who introduced the character doesn't own them, nor control their use in comics; nor has any rights to dictate or decide where said character's past should lead. And that's the choice they make when working for the "Big Two." It's fair to assume they accept the character will evolve and change, which means they accept another writer will add or create new ideas not originally intended.

Prodigy being outed is a perfect example. It wasn't (possibly) what the original writer intended (we don't know); but it's a well written, justified evolution of a character. And doesn't contradict comic canon, nor felt forced or out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I agree there are characters where revealing them as gay or bisexual wouldn't end up feeling like an organic development of the character. (Which isn't to say it couldn't be an interesting and compelling development regardless, of course.) But there are plenty of other characters where it's either not a big deal or actually makes sense. Besides which, plenty of people believe themselves to be straight, and then realize later on that they're not.
    A some point, probably years from now, Marvel will out an A-lister. It's going to happen, just a matter of time. My money's still on Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    @Kieran_Frost

Excellent list of LGBT characters. I don't see Captain Flame from Paul Jenkins' sadly aborted mini-series ALL WINNERS SQUAD. There was another character, his lover, but I can't remember his name. I want to say American Ace, but I'm not sure.
    Oh cool, thank-you. I'll add him to the list.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-03-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh cool, thank-you. I'll add him to the list.
    Here is a link to the series, can you recognize the name of his lover from the cast list?

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=230072

Also, being a WWII story, is he still alive?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-03-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Here is a link to the series, can you recognize the name of his lover from the cast list?

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=230072

Also, being a WWII story, is he still alive?
    They never published the end of the series.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal!!!! I LOVE Skottie Young's cover; so, SO happy Storm is getting one!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52576

Speaking of the talent involved -- that's another writer that may have caught people by surprise, simply because Greg Pak, who was a Marvel mainstay for about a decade, hasn't written anything at Marvel for around a year, and during that time has written many very high-profile DC books. Has it been a case where you've been perhaps talking all along, and the timing worked out for this?

ALONSO: Yeah. Greg Pak has been angling to write a "Storm" series for years and now that he's got the gig, he's making good on his promises. His Storm is everything readers have loved about the character over the years --warrior queen, Mohawked rebel, etc. -- and her first ongoing series, she'll be not only playing hero to mutant kind but across the Marvel Universe at large. While other mutants are squabbling over who gets to be king of mutant mountain, she's get her eyes on the bigger picture, using her mutant gifts for the betterment of the entire world.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Chibi-Storm ! Give back his gloves to Mickey Mouse THIS INSTANT !
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Invincible Member

The director of Punisher:War Zone talks about the challenge for women and minorities to get work even after having success in Hollywood.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...ale-directors/

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The director of Punisher:War Zone talks about the challenge for women and minorities to get work even after having success in Hollywood.

I was just checking that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Arad is right, when it comes to a well recognized popular character like Spidey. However, Miles could still be introduced as a brand new spider hero with a different codename who is Spodey's sidekick/friend. Since Miles can turn invisible/cloak himself, he could be called either the Ghost-Spider or Shadow Spider.
    Miles Morales as Peter's sidekick? No thanks.

It would be cool to do it in the vein of the Daughters of the Dragon mini a few years back. Speaking of which, we need another DotD series.

This would be my line up:
    Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    Kitty Pryde
    Tarantula
    Spider-Woman
    My line-up would be:

Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    X-23 (she really needs a new code-name)
    Tarantula
    Arachne (Julia Carpenter)

I would read that book

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Very interesting. I'd love to see more women doing comic book movies (or hell, more movies in general).

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    My line-up would be:

Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    Tarantula
    I like that line up too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    My line-up would be:

Misty Knight
    Colleen Wing
    White Tiger
    Tarantula
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would read that book
    I like that line up too.
    Third that. That would be a very fun book to read!

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Third that. That would be a very fun book to read!
    I think so too. Bring back Devin Grey and Khari Evans as the creative team as well. And make it an ongoing. I think this would work better than the recent Fearless Defenders concept. But in fairness they never really put any effort into pushing that series and I wasn't feeling the art on that book.

It's a shame the wonderfully diverse Avengers: AI has come to an end, and so few seem to care. Lots of women in major roles, 3 POC... such a waste of great potential. And now (most likely) the POC characters will fall into limbo (and for Alexis, that could be for good!). Monica Chang might make it into "S.H.I.E.L.D. aid in some comics, and Victor will probably be back (but then again, who knows... he's been limboed for years before this).