Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Karnak, #1

In Warren Ellis and Gerardo Zaffino's "Karnak" #1, Agent Coulson persuades Karnak to assist two parents whose son had been exposed to the Terrigan Mists.

Full review here.

BANNED

This a spot on review. Very will written and fair.

Enjoyed the first issue and I can tell already this will be a series to be remembered.

Amazing Member

Karnak doesn't have super powers? I thought his ability to sense the flaw in anything was a result of his exposure to the terrigen mists.

I found this comic to be very disappointing. Ellis has Karnak blabber philosophical claptrap in an effort to sound profound. Karnak ruptures the liver of a low level villain, proving himself to be extremely cruel, even for an anti-hero. Anti-hero Wolverine is said to avoid major organs when he stabs someone. The use of torture in Marvel comics has gotten ridiculous. Even Captain America has endorsed its use.

I'll buy issue two of this series because Ellis has rarely disappointed me in the past, but this title is off to a rough start.

Quote Originally Posted by invasionforce View Post
    Karnak doesn't have super powers? I thought his ability to sense the flaw in anything was a result of his exposure to the terrigen mists.

I found this comic to be very disappointing. Ellis has Karnak blabber philosophical claptrap in an effort to sound profound. Karnak ruptures the liver of a low level villain, proving himself to be extremely cruel, even for an anti-hero. Anti-hero Wolverine is said to avoid major organs when he stabs someone. The use of torture in Marvel comics has gotten ridiculous. Even Captain America has endorsed its use.

I'll buy issue two of this series because Ellis has rarely disappointed me in the past, but this title is off to a rough start.
    I'm also very disappointed about this issue and the reasons are similar to yours. This "All-New All-Different" Karnak is "All-Boring All-Insignificant" Karnak! He clearly lost his personality, his sanity, his ability of judgement! This Karnak is an abomination! There is nothing badass about him. He is just a hollow shell of who he was used to be!
    (No. I never was a fan of Karnak. I was pretty neutral about him. But Warren made me hate him in one single issue!)

Nothing happens: the comics.
    It felt like watching a DBZ episode, with the characters doing nothing but posturing and yelling at each other during 20 mn.

Except instead of posturing, it's Karnak babbling philosophy. Very, very deep philosphy like "your lifes mean nothing".

I guess I'll never enjoy any Ellis Marvel work besides NextWave.

Don't sweat it. I enjoyed it enough for all of you.

All-New Member

I've never really had any exposure to Karnak before this comic, but I thought this book was a blast. Eillis rocked the intro and it'll be fun to see where he takes this character. Zaffino's only bolstered the material with a gritty feel. Not sure why you all hate this books so much, but I'm with numberthirty on this one.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Don't sweat it. I enjoyed it enough for all of you.
    You're not alone, my friend.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I absolutely loved this book. It was a great way to introduce and build character without being overly heavy handed.

This book was also the reason I picked up my first physical comic books ever (I'm 34) last week.

I also thought it was fantastic. It is what it is though. You have to be a fan of this side of Ellis to really enjoy this.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Karnak is one of the most intriguing and formidable characters in the MU. I dig the fact that Karnak is socially aloof and prefers to keep his own company. The endeavors of the world seem inconsequential to him. When you possess the ability to see the flaw/weakness in everything (objects, systems, ideas, people) and can exploit that weakness to bring about its destruction, how can the world be anything other than inconsequential? The devil is in the details. The game is afoot. Warren Ellis has a golden opportunity to do something really special and innovative with Karnak. I believe he can meet the challenge. He's off to a good start.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 10-27-2015 at 02:17 PM.