Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    1bulma1

Default Anyone else hate the Wolverine and Jean romance from the Films in comparsion to the comics??

So I was re-watching the X-Films and it never occurred to me how much I dislike the wolverine and jean thing. wolverine in the film is a guy that can not take no for an answer, in the cartoons and comics it was a major crush it was not the one sided love of my life thing like the way it was portrayed in the films.

I hated how we did not see to much of Cyclopes and jean who were suppose to be the main couple in the film. This gets worse in Xmen 3, when Cyke is killed of in the first 10 minutes of the film and it just became the wolverine and jean show. this gets carried to The Wolverine film as well when wolverine is dreaming of jean and when I thought it could not get any worse, I am proven wrong. Wolverine memories in days of future past sealed the deal for me of how worse it got.

In days of future past when young professor X was asked by wolverine to look into his mind, all his mind showed was jean. which was just so out of character for wolverine. wolverine 616 deeply cared of the xmen. so it made no sense how his mind can only be filled with images of Jean.

What of rogue? who was his surrogate daughter or storm who was basically his closet friend ans ally all through out Xmen 3 or just the whole x family (beast, bobby, kitty) or most importantly what of the weapon X program. how come all this did not show in his memories. the only thing in his memories was jean. It was totally ridiculous.

I know I may be a minority but through out the xmen films, the wolverine/jean thing was one of my least favorites parts. Its like the writers forced it down our throats.

Any real xmen fans knows that in the end Jean and cyclops will always choose each other. The comics have proven It time and time again. If they ever reboot xmen with new actors, I hope I never watch wolverine/jean that much again.
    Last edited by 1bulma1; 09-10-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Maybe that changes in the new timeline post-DoFP? It appears that Jean will be in it as a teenager, and assuming Wolverine gets adamantiumized and mindwiped at some point he won't remember her from the other timeline. So in the new one he will meet her when she is much younger, and therefore may not develop such an attraction to her (hopefully).

Personally I'm still holding out hope that we get Cable in the next X-men film and that FOX will develop some other badasses on screen and focus more on Wolverine in his solo films (and less in the team films).

Trust me, you're in good company. The Jean/Wolverine crap was just one of the MANY things that made the X-men movies horrible. It was so incredibly forced and so poorly developed that it brought down pretty much the entire trilogy and the Wolverine Spin-Offs that followed. It's not just that these two had zero chemistry whatsoever. It's not just that Wolverine became a glorified Edward Cullen around Jean. It's not just that it completely marginalized Cyclops in all three movies either. There's one very important detail that makes this so terrible: Wolverine knew Jean Grey for only a few DAYS at the most.

If you watched all three movies, then you know what I mean. Wolverine didn't even get to know this woman. He barely spoke to her. He barely interacted with her. Yet somehow she's supposed to be the love of his life? He's supposed to get all weepy-eyed when he has to kill her in a scene that was the exact opposite of what the Dark Phoenix Saga conveyed? In X1, he shows up, he flirts with Jean, he leaves at the end, and that's it. In X2, he returns and Jean promptly leaves on a mission with Storm before dying at the end. In X3, she goes absolutely crazy and dies. Wolverine couldn't have even known this woman for more than a week. That's a far cry from the extent to which he knew her in the comics. It gives Wolverine a very creepy, stalker-type feel that's downright predatory. If any man pursued a woman like that in real life, he would probably be subject to a restraining order. Singer tried to justify it by claiming that fans had to have some familiarity with the comics to understand their relationship. Fine, but that's no excuse to skip the part where they actually have a reason to be attracted to one another.

Like I said, this is not the only reason the X-men movies sucked. But it was by far one of the most egregious reasons.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I think the implication was clearly that some time passed between X1 and X2, and that he got to know her in that timeframe. That's how I always saw it anyway. Otherwise you are right. His deep feelings for her seem a bit rushed. In X1 he develops an attraction and flirts with her. Time passes, he grows more fond of her. Then X2 happens. More time passes, then X3. I don't think those films happen in a matter of days but rather months or even years.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bulma1 View Post
    So I was re-watching the X-Films and it never occurred to me how much I dislike the wolverine and jean thing. wolverine in the film is a guy that can not take no for an answer, in the cartoons and comics it was a major crush it was not the one sided love of my life thing like the way it was portrayed in the films.
    He couldn't take no either in the comics. He even says it himself :

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think the implication was clearly that some time passed between X1 and X2, and that he got to know her in that timeframe. That's how I always saw it anyway. Otherwise you are right. His deep feelings for her seem a bit rushed. In X1 he develops an attraction and flirts with her. Time passes, he grows more fond of her. Then X2 happens. More time passes, then X3. I don't think those films happen in a matter of days but rather months or even years.
    Yeah, there was months/years between the events in the movies.

1bulma1

Singer can be a hack at times. what most fans remember in the comics is the cyclops and jean love story and all the drama it brought even to the point of Cyclopes marrying a Jean LOOK Alike and fathering Cable with her.Madelyne Pryor was her name.

I wish we saw more cyclops. if the actor was not available for xmen 3, they should have just done a recast. I will have taken that over the wolverine and jean love fest in xmen 3.

I also agree with the wolverine stalker thing. it was ridiculous. Remember in xmen 2 when he forced himself on her and kissed her...wtf?

I think Logan is a more likable character in the movies when he isn't interacting with Scott or Jean. I recall the scene when he just grabs Scott and says in a hostile tone, "You wanna get out of my way?" or the "You're a dick" line when Scott isn't sure if Logan isn't Mystique in disguise. Sure Scott is underdeveloped but he doesn't seem to do anything in the movies to earn Logan's ire and it just feels like Singer had the rivalry their because it existed in the comics (though there was often more to it than just Jean). And this is from someone who likes the movies with the exception of Origins.

How could he possibly get to know her? He left at the end of X1, remember? And there's no indication that he kept in touch with her during that time. Now if he had stayed at the end of X1, this would not be an issue. But the fact is he didn't stay. He left and came back just in time to watch Jean leave on a mission. Are we just supposed to assume he wrote her tortured love letters or constantly called her? If he did, that would only reinforce his pitiful characterization. He's supposed to be the ultimate loner, not Edward Cullen. Jean even pointed out that he didn't stick around in X2. That makes it fairly clear that he really didn't keep in touch when he left.

There's one other detail that's worth mentioning. Wolverine completely ditched the X-men after Jean's death. So this woman who he didn't know in the slightest and somehow fell in love with dies and that's reason enough for him to ditch the X-men after they just lost their mentor and two of their best teachers? That's not just incredibly wrong on his part. It's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he did in the comics. Both Jean Grey and Charles Xavier died in the comics at some point. And in the comics, he had a much longer and richer history with these two. Yet still, he didn't leave. He stuck around and tried to do his part for the X-men. I get that movies take creative liberties with the books. I totally understand it. But to have a character do the exact opposite of what was done in the comics? That would be like Captain America joining the Red Skull. There's just no excuse whatsoever. That is why the movies simply cannot be redeemed at this point and Singer should be placed in the same ranks as Joel Shumacher.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    How could he possibly get to know her? He left at the end of X1, remember? And there's no indication that he kept in touch with her during that time. Now if he had stayed at the end of X1, this would not be an issue. But the fact is he didn't stay. He left and came back just in time to watch Jean leave on a mission.(...)
    There's one other detail that's worth mentioning. Wolverine completely ditched the X-men after Jean's death. So this woman who he didn't know in the slightest and somehow fell in love with dies and that's reason enough for him to ditch the X-men after they just lost their mentor and two of their best teachers? That's not just incredibly wrong on his part. It's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he did in the comics. Both Jean Grey and Charles Xavier died in the comics at some point. And in the comics, he had a much longer and richer history with these two. Yet still, he didn't leave.
    Well, if, in the movie, he didnt had any contact with the X-Men except for what we see in the movie, then it make sense that he won't feel a need to stay with them after Jean's death. He didn't cared about the whole thing.

In the comics, it took quite a while before Logan started to think about the team. So when Jean or Xavier died, he was with the X-Men since a long time and had reasons to stay with them.

PS: But yes, I agree the movie was crap

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Well, if, in the movie, he didnt had any contact with the X-Men except for what we see in the movie, then it make sense that he won't feel a need to stay with them after Jean's death. He didn't cared about the whole thing.

In the comics, it took quite a while before Logan started to think about the team. So when Jean or Xavier died, he was with the X-Men since a long time and had reasons to stay with them.

PS: But yes, I agree the movie was crap
    Well he did stay after X2 after Jean died. And in that time, he became an instructor. He had time to establish himself and actually care. And in X3, it was clear that he cared enough about the team to lead them. That makes his departure in The Wolverine way more egregious. If he left at the end of X2, it wouldn't be as bad. But again, he didn't. He left at the end of X1 when he should've stayed and stayed at the end of X2 when he should've left. It shows just how egregiously pitiful these movies were conceptually. And the fact that Bryan Singer is still on board after undoing all of them in Days of Futures Past gives me no hope whatsoever that it'll change.

And the fact that Bryan Singer is still on board after undoing all of them in Days of Futures Past gives me no hope whatsoever that it'll change.
    Well, at least he undid all that stuff...
    Didn't he said, in interview, that he wouldn't have done X-Men 3 that way if it had been up to him ? His movies were pretty well received. It's "Last Stand" that is hated.
    Last edited by Narasinha; 09-10-2014 at 06:16 AM.

How could he possibly get to know her? He left at the end of X1, remember? And there's no indication that he kept in touch with her during that time. Now if he had stayed at the end of X1, this would not be an issue. But the fact is he didn't stay. He left and came back just in time to watch Jean leave on a mission. Are we just supposed to assume he wrote her tortured love letters or constantly called her? If he did, that would only reinforce his pitiful characterization. He's supposed to be the ultimate loner, not Edward Cullen. Jean even pointed out that he didn't stick around in X2. That makes it fairly clear that he really didn't keep in touch when he left.

There's one other detail that's worth mentioning. Wolverine completely ditched the X-men after Jean's death. So this woman who he didn't know in the slightest and somehow fell in love with dies and that's reason enough for him to ditch the X-men after they just lost their mentor and two of their best teachers? That's not just incredibly wrong on his part. It's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he did in the comics. Both Jean Grey and Charles Xavier died in the comics at some point. And in the comics, he had a much longer and richer history with these two. Yet still, he didn't leave. He stuck around and tried to do his part for the X-men. I get that movies take creative liberties with the books. I totally understand it. But to have a character do the exact opposite of what was done in the comics? That would be like Captain America joining the Red Skull. There's just no excuse whatsoever. That is why the movies simply cannot be redeemed at this point and Singer should be placed in the same ranks as Joel Shumacher.
    I didn't take it as his returning at the beginning of X2 meant that he had been gone all that time. Maybe that was the case, but the characters just seemed so familiar with one another. I assumed he had been coming and going for awhile. The scenes with the Professor regarding helping him remember his past seemed to be saying as much.

The weird thing is that the Jean/Logan stuff barely existed in the 90's. He had to be near death for her to give him the time of day and his half of it was mostly a 80's thing.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

I didn't take it as his returning at the beginning of X2 meant that he had been gone all that time. Maybe that was the case, but the characters just seemed so familiar with one another. I assumed he had been coming and going for awhile. The scenes with the Professor regarding helping him remember his past seemed to be saying as much.
    You're making a lot of assumptions. There's nothing on screen that was done or said that implies he regularly returned to the institute. That stuff about the Professor helping him with his past could've been easily uncovered during his time at the mansion during X1. They did discuss it. But there's really nothing to indicate that he spent any time at the mansion between X1 and X2. There's also nothing to indicate he got to know Jean any better. Now these are details that could've easily been added, but they weren't. And that only makes the end result all the more egregious because it really wouldn't have taken much to fix or at least make less egregious.

Quote Originally Posted by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1 View Post
    The weird thing is that the Jean/Logan stuff barely existed in the 90's. He had to be near death for her to give him the time of day and his half of it was mostly a 80's thing.
    That's probably because Chris Claremont left in 1991 and he was the only X-men writer who really ever championed Jean/Wolverine and he didn't even champion it for a good reason. The only reason he ever wanted them together was because he didn't like Cyclops anymore. Not because he thought Jean and Wolverine were a good fit for one another. He just didn't like Cyclops. As brilliant as Chris Claremont is, that's a bad reason to hook them up and Singer made a huge mistake by pretending it was anything more than a horribly contrived idea.

BANNED

I thought it was pretty great.