Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

From Harley Quinn #1

Harley Quinn 1 page 4.jpg
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhater View Post
    Oh, Kesel did a FANTASTIC job writing Harley. How she held love as sacred, how she was the only woman crazy enough to keep up hope that she'll escape hell, but at the same time being SO crazy that she induces genuine cognitive dissonnance within herself every time she murders someone in order to avoid taking responsibility for her actions, those comics proved wonderfully just how well Harley can function as an anti-hero.
    I haven't read Harley's 1st solo series yet, but about the bolded part, that's how I see the character too. Most villains don't see themselves as villains in their own minds, and that's even moreso of the case for Harley Quinn because her whole entire motivation for being a villain was ironically built out of love. In my opinion she's not really a villain, just a mentally ill person with an extremely warped view on reality. For example: In reality the Joker is an evil, murdering, psychopath, in Harley's mind he's a misunderstood genius simply trying to make the world laugh (to her it's the world's fault if they don't get the joke, not his). In reality Harley's a villain for going along with the Joker & helping him hurt the Batfamily & Gotham City, in Harley's mind she's just a loving, devoted, girlfriend who's being a really good girlfriend to her boyfriend by believing in him, understanding him, being there for him, and standing by him against his enemies (it's them vs. the world and she's got her man's back no matter what).

Her distorted view on reality makes the character all the more interesting and complex IMO. I just love her so much .

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Mighty Member

What a babe she is, i dig her since i was 11 when TAS first aired and has been one of my comic book/animated dreamgirls and gotta love Arleen Sorkin's cute voice as her.

I also liked her in Birds of Prey.

Always Rakzo

Holy, how I didn't see this thread? One of my favorite characters who has one of my favorite series from the New 52 that I will never stop praising!

I would even say that I prefer this incarnation over the previous one, is just so much funnier.

Pre-52 she was my FAV female character \O/ I LOVED Karl Kesel's work on her solo series, though tbh, after issue 19, it kind of lost me a bit, and the second he left and A.J came on, it just became OTT dark and depressing, just didn't seem right for Harley.

~spoilers for A.J.'s run~spoilers:
    DNW to see Harley Quinn blinding little girls and sewing up her own stitches, like, what?
    end of spoilers

Does anyone here read Injustice? It's probs my favourite characterisation of her in the Nu52~ She's only focused on in two issues, the annual and issue 5, but she's GREAT! Funny and heart-breaking, makes me wish Tom Taylor gets a chance to write Suicide Squad or her solo series, I'd love to see more of his Harley.
    Last edited by Step; 06-16-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Harley is okay in injustice she doesn't appear that often but it was alright.
    Now as far as the pre 52 Harley they pretty much torpedoed everything good about her once Gotham city sirens started getting towards the end of the run.

Right now I like a less mentally there Harley who is just hanging out and letting her crazy life drive her on her next adventure.

What did everyone think of todays issue? I thought it was the best of the series. I think having Ivy around grounds the book, so it is not just non-stop craziness and gags. I think they writer's are finding Harley's voice more and more with each issue. Harley, IMO, needs to be a balance of whacked out nuts and frightening. I love the resolution of the assasination storyline, pretty funny.

My only gripe is that the 'HOLEE' jokes NEED to stop, they are painfully unfunny and having 4 (at least) per issue is WAY to much.

436 posts and counting... TheFearlessDefender89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Holy, how I didn't see this thread? One of my favorite characters who has one of my favorite series from the New 52 that I will never stop praising!

I would even say that I prefer this incarnation over the previous one, is just so much funnier.
    I agree with you! To me she's just perfect!
    Pull List: Harley Quinn, Superman Unchained, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, The Fearless Defenders (R.I.P.)
    *~ValkyrieXAnnabelle~*

Mighty Member

I enjoyed Harleen Quinzel's appearance in Arkham Orgins before she went crazy.

This would make a good avatar: