Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Is reading the main 700 issues enough if i want to know Spider-Man and continue with Superior Spider-Man??

Guys I am new to this forum and I wanted to know if reading the main 700 issues of The amazing Spiderman is enough to continue reading The Superior Spiderman or should I read others I saw a post which talked about clone saga scarlet Spiderman saga etc. Are these covered in the main 700 issues or do I need to buy these books separately. Please. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

If you want to read Superior Spider-Man, just read Superior Spider-Man.

There are at least two different "Clone Sagas," and I don't think either has a comprehensive collection. Maybe someone can give you better advice of where to look, though.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alcatraz1812 View Post
    Guys I am new to this forum and I wanted to know if reading the main 700 issues of The amazing Spiderman is enough to continue reading The Superior Spiderman or should I read others I saw a post which talked about clone saga scarlet Spiderman saga etc. Are these covered in the main 700 issues or do I need to buy these books separately. Please. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.
    For the first few 100s of asm there is no real problem if you dont read other titles. Except you will be missing some great and important stories. The real problems comes when the titles starts crossing over with each other. Particular a big part of the 90s where stuff like the clone saga leads directly into stories in other titles. Not to mention later crossovers like "the other" that spands severel titles. Of all marvel titles/characters spidey is one of the most diffucult, if not the most one, to try and read the complete story of because there are SO many issues out there.

BANNED

I think the furthest back you'd really "need" to go is Amazing Spider-Man #600, as that sets up the plot threads that all weave together into Superior Spider-Man. If you want to skip ahead a little bit, there are four Big Time Ultimate Collections, which collect all the stories right before Dying Wish. The fourth one goes up to #697, but that's because #698 is where Dying Wish begins, and thus is considered a part of Superior Spider-Man.

Welcome to the board.

You don't need to read every issue of Amazing Spider-Man in order to appreciate Superior Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man does build on a status quo that kicked off a little bit earlier, so there are advantages to starting with Amazing Spider-Man #546 or #648. You don't need to it, but there is a benefit to it. 546-647 was the Brand New Day era, essentially a reboot of the series. 648-700 are the Big Time era, where Peter got a new job that set the seeds for Superior.

As for the impact of the satellite books on the main title, that's a bit complicated. Events in Amazing Spider-Man are usually considered more important, so there are relatively few references to events in the other books. During the 90s, there were periods when the majority of Spider-Man comics crossed over with other titles, although that wasn't a particuarly well-regarded time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    If you want to read Superior Spider-Man, just read Superior Spider-Man.

There are at least two different "Clone Sagas," and I don't think either has a comprehensive collection. Maybe someone can give you better advice of where to look, though.
    They both have complete collections. I have the original clone saga trade, which may be titled exactly that. Then the 90's gong show is like 6 trades or more.

BANNED

Trust me, you don't want to read "Superior". The whole thing plays out like a giant middle finger to Spider-Man.

All-New Member

Default What's final??

So if I read the main 700 is it enough for me to know all of spiderman stories or does the other sagas have some thing to do with the main issues??

Edit: Sorry for the late reply haven't been online for a while......

BANNED

Stories like Kraven's Last Hunt, Maximum Carnage, the Clone Saga, and The Other are crossovers where you need to read issues of Amazing Spider-Man as well as other books to get the full story, although there are some stories that you could read separately. For example, if you're unsatisfied with how certain runs of Amazing are, you can look at concurrent books for better stories. Trades are excellent options, and while the Clone Saga is very long, there are eleven massive collections that collect the Spider-Man stories published at the time, pulling from every series, so you can experience the full story there.

I disagree with the idea that stories in satellite books are less important. While Amazing Spider-Man is typically considered the "main" book while other books can get cancelled, you can look to those satellites for different explorations of certain status quos.

You don't have to read everything, though. Think of some stories you want to read. Given this thread, Superior Spider-Man is one, and the main hook of it goes back to Spider-Island. Look at certain stories, try to see what you can understand, and if you're confused on certain aspects, looking into them, and you may find something where that originates from. I don't think you need to read in a specific order. Just go off of what interests you the most.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterAvenger View Post
    Trust me, you don't want to read "Superior". The whole thing plays out like a giant middle finger to Spider-Man.
    Only if you're weird.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PeterAvenger View Post
    I disagree in was the unique concept behind Superior Spider-Man that got me back into buying Spidey comics (other than Ultimate Spider-Man) again, but to each his own.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mideon View Post
    Only if you're weird.
    It's not weird. I agree that Superior is a middle finger to Spider-Man, unless that makes me just as "weird" as PeterAvenger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alcatraz1812 View Post
    So if I read the main 700 is it enough for me to know all of spiderman stories or does the other sagas have some thing to do with the main issues??

Edit: Sorry for the late reply haven't been online for a while......
    If you want to know ALL spider-man stories then yeah you will have to read other titles. That being said if you do it that way its going to take you a lot of time and you will have to read some not so good stories on top of the good ones. I would advice you to just read some or cherry pick because there are 1000+ issues you will have to read otherwise. But yes if you actually want to read ALL spider-man stories you have to read the other series to since most of then take place in the same universe. Stuff like ultimate spider-man and various adventure stories can be ignored since they take place in other universes.

If its just because you want to read superior or maybe current stories I would say do as mister mets suggets. The point I think several posters have made is that you dont have to read every single story to understand the main points of spider-man.
    Last edited by Bor; 11-01-2015 at 09:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Stuff like ultimate spider-man and various adventure stories can be ignored since they take place in other universes.
    Not anymore for Ultimate Spider-Man, considering Miles Morales. Though maybe you can just read his Ultimate Collections to get the gist there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Not anymore for Ultimate Spider-Man, considering Miles Morales. Though maybe you can just read his Ultimate Collections to get the gist there.
    Well yeah okay. But except spider-men that is not the main spidey. I dont think you have to read every miles title to understand main spidey just because they have a connection now. In that case you would have to read many other titles with characters like silk, spider-women, venom etc. If OP wants to include every title with any connections he would have to ad avengers, ff and soooo much more.