Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGunn View Post
    I don't care that he's confining himself to '60s Marvel, this stuff is beautiful. If you could find a writer to pair up and do a gig involving the FF, Spidey, the Avengers, the X-Men, Namor, DD, Strange, Fury everybody from , say 1966, I'm on it.

Marvel could do that for each of their decades, certainly, 70's, 80's, 90's etc...
    An expanded version of Marvels is what that sounds like.
    I'd be so down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Giant-Man's. He's the one who fished Cap out of the drink in Avengers #4.
    Thank you. I guess it was fairly obvious. I hadn't looked at my old issues in a long time and forgot that was what the original giant man costume looked like.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I would love to have prints of all of these.
    Several are already available as posters for $8.99 each. The store I work at started getting them couple months ago, so they should be available to your LCS or elsewhere online.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Moish View Post
    Several are already available as posters for $8.99 each. The store I work at started getting them couple months ago, so they should be available to your LCS or elsewhere online.
    I'll have to ask this Saturday.
    Too cool to pass up.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Alex Ross covers never get old.
    Amen to that! Brilliant work as always!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I won't argue that Alex Ross has created some beautiful artwork, but his characteristic arrogance is in full force in this interview.

Is John Romita Sr. one of the greatest Spider-Man (and comic book) artists of all time? Absolutely. Is he the absolute best Spider-Man artist? That's a matter of opinion.

Ross seems very flippant in his appraisal of McFarlane's work and even Ditko's. That's also his opinion, but to dismiss McFarlane's contributions to the character's visual history as a Ditko retread is insulting and unfair. McFarlane was the main reason Spider-Man experienced a resurgence in the late 80s/early 90s, whether Ross or anyone else likes his work or not.

Alex Ross is extremely talented and his work is breathtaking 9 out of 10 times. I especially like his work on Superman, Cap, and the Dynamite pulp characters. Though I'm not a huge fan of his take on Spider-Man, his "Learning To Crawl" stuff has been excellent, especially the cover for 1.2.

All-New Member

Oh, I so love JR's work on Spider-Man, especially "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut!" Great story, fantastic artwork. A legend.

BANNED

Character bias aside, Ross is overrated as an artist. Perez is a better figure composer, Lee a better detailer, etc.

i agree. i was beginning to think i was the only one who was thinking that maybe Alex Ross is getting a little long in the tooth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yfnjman View Post
    i agree. i was beginning to think i was the only one who was thinking that maybe Alex Ross is getting a little long in the tooth.
    I think he's maybe lost his fire when it comes to the characters he's done ad nauseam, i.e., Marvel and DC. His Dynamite work is exciting and I imagine it has to do with the fact that the subject matter really allows him to cut loose since those characters are not the icons that DC and Marvel characters are.

I love just about everything Ross has put out. I especially like that Spiderman/Aunt May picture. Just look at the detail and expression on May. I think its incredible.

All-New Member

I think Ross is a powerful and often-inspired comic artist. Besides his other works that have already been mentioned, above, I want to recommend the Kirby: Genesis series he created with Kurt Busiek. Interesting, energetic, and beautiful art. The covers, of course, were beautiful - as were the spin-off covers for Captain Victory, Silver Star, and Dragon's Bane. Well, except for Silver Star #3 - that was fairly awkward. Some of the posts above seem to want to pigeon-hole Ross as past his prime, but I don't think that's true. He experiments and takes risks with composition and color, that's all. Most of the risks pay off amazingly, and every once in a while there's a bit of a misfire. That's how I see the new Marvel covers, too - most of them are great, my favorite being the Fantastic Four cover. A few are a bit awkward - Daredevil's too-skin-tight costume especially, and Kang the Conqueror's overly prominent crossed leg on the Avengers cover... but then again, the X-Men and the Captain America covers are excellent.