Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    *smh*

No. Just no.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Nice to see your ban was temporary.

But yeah..those threads got ugly fast. :/
    Awww! Thanks, Mahes
    And I wholeheartedly agree. I do give some props to the mods that closed that Wolverine one. That might've ended nasty if not nipped fast.

Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    Someone should make a Pixie thread.
    She isn't too polarizing. Maybe in a teleporter thread she'd stir up major controversy.

Hm, seeing your Avatar, I would not want to see a Beast thread D: The poor guy

BANNED

Someone should make a Pixie thread.
    And fill it with unicorns and rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Slavoj Zizek, in one of his more lucid moments, conveys the fetishistic disavowal that comprises ideological freight as part in parcel with any symbolic order worth its weight in overall mask/mandate. In other words, the idea that we are aware that the actuality is less than what is being presented or symbolized, but we do not CARE, as we are almost-libidinally engaged with the symbolics in a hyperaggressive format.

Are Storm fans so obsessed with the mask mandate symbolics around her stature as an "important" x-men they're oblivious to the flaws with the character?

absolutely tactless

Is the need to have her headline her first solo title of more value in its symbolicism than anything actually inherent to the character?

Tremble between the weight of her dialectics, mortals.
    I think the "flaws" in the character make her far more interesting. Look at Scott for example. For the longest time he was whatever he was expected to be and had no personality and very little thought of his own.

True now he's an egomaniacal cult figure but at least for once the man is interesting!

BANNED

The major issue with the character...which is a writer's issue (aren't most ) is that they cannot decide if she is a weather wielding character or a true elemental. She seems, most often to generate what she needs directly out of nowhere, even in environments that have no weather or meteorological base and in space and different planets.
    My biggest quibble on the character though, and this is just a personal button, is the fact that SHE IS NOT A REAL GODDESS. She is a goddess like Beyonce is a goddess...to her fans, but she even calls herself by this title at times and it irks me. To be revered is one thing, to demand it and be self-proclaimed is another (IMO). For an ex-thief who only had followers because she is a mutant she should be a little more down to earth. (See, it irks me).

Otherwise I think she is a solid character.

I think the problem with Storm is more that she's been reduced to the role of someone else's bed-buddy who hasn't been shown to have opinions significantly different from said bed-buddy for so long that it's going to take time to actually re-establish the parts of her personality and her non-romantic relationships to a degree where they again outshine her actual powers (personally, she was possibly at her most interesting back when she'd lost her powers entirely, but still led the team effectively).

By way of contrast, its been the better part of a decade since Scott's powers have been any type focus for his character. Half the time he hasn't even been on the front lines of battles (where his powers would actually be useful), but behind the scenes coordinating everything through a telepathic link provided by Emma or the Cuckoos. He's been all about his personality and relationships and that's a big part of why he's as popular as he is right now.

Storm can get back to that point too if she's given the chance... and in that respect Logan's impending death is definitely a good thing since it means Storm will be firmly in charge of the 'Gold-side' and able to start shaping that side into what SHE thinks the X-Men should be.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    *smh*

No. Just no.
    Agreed. People just seem so bitter about Storm's solo that they keep obsessing and being negative. *smdh2*

Someone should make an "Examination of Pixie is the Hipster Nightcrawler and Magik" thread.
    If only she were as cool or relevant.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

You also have to understand that as a character in the current marvel universe ... Everyone is a screwup. They've all had major issues that have mostly been repressed (save for those few individuals whose downfall have been used as examples of what not to do).

A character as dynamic as Storm, whom we HAVE seen struggle with many issues in the past can never be black and white anyhow. Unless they are meant for parody.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    And fill it with unicorns and rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Hm, seeing your Avatar, I would not want to see a Beast thread D: The poor guy
    Pfft, you're no fun. Hank is tons of fun!
    Hank_Scott_Banter.jpg
    Get_a_Ruler.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post
    Agreed. People just seem so bitter about Storm's solo that they keep obsessing and being negative. *smdh2*

People are negative because it's easier to tear down things and make snarky jokes. Embrace positivity people!

If only she were as cool or relevant.
    Matt Fraction tried really hard, but he really was the only one who though Pixie had any potential for being a regular X-Character.

[IMG]Pfft, you're no fun. Hank is tons of fun!
    Hank_Scott_Banter.jpg
    Get_a_Ruler.jpg
    And tons of polarizing. Except there isn't a huge/vocal majority rooting for him as their main.

Cyclops' is clearly bigger, no other reason why the Cyke haters so often cry out his "X-harem". But Madrox is more fun. Instant Xsome (X being a number of your choice)

Adding a voice to the 'the flaws make the character' choir.

Storm is my favorite X-Man but what I like with her isn't her awesome power or her stature in the X-Verse. What fascinated me was her inner struggles.

To me there's really two types of heroes: the 'paragon of virtue' who always does what's morally right and best at all times and the others. What I enjoyed with Storm is the fact that she can be this paragon of virtue but only as long as it's practical.

Every part of backstory works to that end: she can stop floods and make it rain to help agriculture or w/e and therefore was worshipped as a Goddess (which gave her an impossibly massive ego). The Goddess is the paragon of virtue. She does what she thinks is best for the people.
    At the same her surviving a plane crash and the streets of Cairo made her a survivor. That is someone who knows when to prioritize themselves and what's dear to them when a problem gets too close for comfort. She is at her absolute most interesting when those two "entities" are in conflict. The Goddess is only on the frontline when the danger is at a manageable level. Once it no longer is, the survivor comes out.

She used to have claustrophobia and you had to enclose her in a small place to get this type of reaction out of her. Then she actually beat that, but her anxiety just went elsewhere. It was no longer her body you had to enclose, just her 'self' (if that makes any sense).
    The times when she lost her powers were particularly interesting. Losing her powers lit a fire under her ass. The stakes were higher, she couldn't count on that awesome power to save her. As a result she became much more brutal. All of a sudden she was doing things "Goddess" would never allow herself to do.

That is so very modern to me: her making it rain to help the people is to her what giving to charity is to us. Her enjoying her freedom of body, mind and soul is us taking a vacation to a foreign country or something when we're strained after very difficult times at work. She's the essence of people living in an individualistic society: do what's morally right but give yourself enough room for your own comfort. And like her, when times get impossibly difficult people do everything in their power to avoid hitting rock bottom, all else be damned.

THAT's what fascinated me with the woman. Her major struggle is to keep her own ego / survival instincts in check because any time she lets them get the better of her it generates a clusterfuck of unspeakable proportions.

The Shakespearean speech pattern and haughtiness were just the cherry on top.
    Last edited by Supernature; 06-09-2014 at 03:09 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    And tons of polarizing. Except there isn't a huge/vocal majority rooting for him as their main.

Cyclops' is clearly bigger, no other reason why the Cyke haters so often cry out his "X-harem". But Madrox is more fun. Instant Xsome (X being a number of your choice)
    Wait....You think I am a Scott hater?

Wait....You think I am a Scott hater?
    If I thought you were a Cyke hater, I'd just have said you. Had no problem doing that in the past.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!