Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spidey is Marvel's Superman....

not Captain America, and I don't know why they're parrelels between the two to begin with, Peter is closer to Clark's idealistic perspective and personality. While Steve is more like Diana's(Wonder Woman). I hope no chews me out on this, but shouldn't Spider-man be the boyscout of Marvel as well as the face of the compnay, but the promos always compare DC and Marvel with Clark and Steve as equivalents.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 10-25-2015 at 10:50 PM.

It depends on what you mean by Superman.

If you're talking about Marvel's first superhero, that would be Captain America.

If you're talking about the hero who is the most respected in-universe, that would still be Cap.

If you're talking about the Marvel hero who represents the company the most, that would be Spidey.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm fairly certain that jimishim was clear about what he meant.

If you're talking about Marvel's first superhero
    He's not. When they were created was not a factor here.

If you're talking about the hero who is the most respected in-universe
    He's not talking about what others think of them, but what the heroes think of themselves.

If you're talking about the Marvel hero who represents the company the most, that would be Spidey.
    That is what he was talking about.

jimishim, I wouldn't worry about getting chewed out if I were you. Your stance on this is fair, and you seem to be trying to come at this from a fair perspective, so you're fine. If it helps clarify where the comparisons come from, I think it comes from trying to equate DC's trinity of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman with Marvel characters, and considering how Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor are three of the "main" Avengers, that leads Captain America to be equated to Superman. So, it's meant to be in the context of each universe's flagship teams. If we're talking about the heroes in their own right, without making it a case of the teams, then I could see why Spider-Man would be Marvel's Superman. Spider-Man was a part of Marvel's logo for a time, and I do like the idealism he represents as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I think it comes from trying to equate DC's trinity of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman with Marvel characters, and considering how Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor are three of the "main" Avengers, that leads Captain America to be equated to Superman.
    Yeah, and I'd say Spider-man is more like The Flash when looking at it like that.

But also yeah, he's their Superman when it comes to who represents the company the most.

Is Superman still DC's flagship character anymore? That guy from Gotham seems to be omnipresent these days.

Batman is probably more popular than Supes. Superman is a hard sell nowadays.

I definitely say Spider-Man is more popular with youths than adults. Hence the power of his toy sales. But Batman seems to be the go to for adults.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Other View Post
    Yeah, and I'd say Spider-man is more like The Flash when looking at it like that.

But also yeah, he's their Superman when it comes to who represents the company the most.
    Since I love the Flash, I'm inclined to agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Is Superman still DC's flagship character anymore? That guy from Gotham seems to be omnipresent these days.
    True. So maybe it's like Spider-Man has the optimism of Superman and Flash, but the marketability of Batman?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

If you're talking about Marvel's first superhero, that would be Captain America.

If you're talking about the hero who is the most respected in-universe, that would still be Cap.

And there, Batman has taken that role for DC over the past decade.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

No.

But Static is DC's Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    No.

But Static is DC's Spider-Man.
    I wish. Been really wanting to read some Static comics.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    And there, Batman has taken that role for DC over the past decade.
    I don't know about that. Batman's more popular, but Superman still represents the iconic bigger than life aspects that define DC (ignoring the whole Detective Comics thing.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I don't know about that. Batman's more popular, but Superman still represents the iconic bigger than life aspects that define DC (ignoring the whole Detective Comics thing.)
    While I agree with this, maybe you and CrimsonEchidna were referring to different ways in which Batman and Superman represent DC?

There's a rumor that Batman will be in the Wonder Woman movie, the Batman line of comics is larger than the Superman line, and instead of Man of Steel 2, there's Batman v Superman. While Superman may represent some story ideas of the larger DC universe, Batman's popularity has become synonymous with the audience that DC primarily caters towards. Superman is the story, while Batman is the branding.

Batman is basically now the Iron Man of DC, even before Iron Man was a character that Marvel really cared about or wanted to promote, in that he wasn't originally intended to be their flagship or most iconic character, at least compared to Superman, but found success in movies, cartoons, and comics that Superman hasn't had in quite some time which led DC to heavily push him over other heroes.

Hence, Batman sells far better then your average DC hero and gets all the cartoons, animated movies, appearances in their Extended Universe.

When I think of what hero best represents the ideals of DC and their universe, I definitely think Superman before I do Batman, and the same goes for Spider-Man and Marvel. But right now Iron Man is a hot property for Marvel that they want to make as big as Spider-Man considering all the success RDJ's interpretation in the MCU has brought them, and give Iron Man the same kind of numbers ASM and Batman get on a consistent level.

So they basically want to do with Iron Man what DC has done with Batman.

BANNED

Well Marvel's directing Spidey towards youth more than ever, so I get that Spidey is directed as a kid appeal hero the same Superman was back in the day. And thats why I was curious about the comparisons between the two in direct similarities as a iconic flagship head when Marvel wants to express who's the top dog as far as the company's main popular hero.

Nah, I think Spider-man and Batman are the most comparable at the two companies. Both have tragic backstories, both are street-level, both have money issues (Bruce has too much, Peter has too little), both maintain a secret identity, both rely on gadgets, the list goes on.

Superman is more like Captain America. Both are essentially displaced aliens, both are lawful good, both are expected to symbolize truth, justice and the American way.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.