I started this thread because the MOS appreciation thread went off topic, but I do want to respond to this post here:

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
It depends who is doing the interpreting. Most comic book fans who go into the movie to evaluate it based on accuracy to the source material but movie fans don't. They have their own expectations and one of them, more often than not, is that the villain must die. So a clash of tropes ensues and a filmmaker has to choose which audience they are going to aim for. It not a mistake or they didn't get it right if they chose movie fans over comic fans because it's a Movie first and foremost.

There's no logical reason for super heroes not to use lethal force if the situation warrants it. The no kill rule is a throwback to 1950's McCarthyism/Werthamism, ultra-conservative values imposed on comic books when they were solely children's entertainment. Times have long since changed and comic books are adolescent power fantasies again so there's nothing wrong with Superman using lethal force every once in a while against unstoppable foes.

Every time I see a superhero refuse to kill, it ruins my suspension of disbelief because I know the only real reason they have is children may be watching from the other side of the 4th wall. I've felt this way ever since I was 14 and fortunately CoIE, DKR and Watchmen came along or else I probably would have stopped reading comic books 30 years ago.
Debating Superman or any superheroes using lethal force is another topic all to itself, although as I said, I do plan to catalog all of his uses of lethal force in this thead. But I do think that it needs to be clarified that Superman and in fact all DC heroes stopped using lethal force in the early 40's, years before SOTI came out (which was in 1954), and before the adoption of the CCA. So neither McCarthy nor Wertham had any involvement in Superman not killing after 1942. It was a business decision by National Comics due to the popularity of comics among children and concerns raised by some groups over the content of comics. It was not forced censorship, it was self-censorship. Just like the more recent decisions to have all heroes kill, including Superman, has been made for business reasons to appeal to readers and viewers like yourself.

I know you dislike Maggin (which is your choice but is certainly odd), but it was really him that turned the no-kill code into something deeper, although also a good bit of the groundwork for that was laid down in the Silver Age with the Phantom Zone. Being strictly against the death penalty was a pretty radical thing at the time and still divides people today. Part of why I admire Superman and Krypton's culture so much is I personally am very strongly against the death penalty.