Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman, #45

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I had to re-read Superman #44.

It feels like a piece is missing between 44 and 45 because at the end of 44 his power level is still high enough for flight but here it jumps to hitch-hiking on planes. What made him decide to the Fortress as seen in Action Comics? Is he fighting Wrath and HORDR simultaneously?
    Wasn't the "Truth" intent to be that each book would cover a piece of puzzle, so "Before Truth" happened, then Action happened, then Batman/Superman happened, then Superman/Wonder Woman happened, and now we've swung back around? I'm not sure if everything falls perfectly into little four-five issue chunks yet.

I read this for the Porter art, honestly. I'll support that guy forever. The art was aces here. I thought the story was okay-ish. Certainly the mythbrawl concept alone is quite fun.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

So Superman is now fighting in "Mythbrawls" to pay for tacos? This story has been horrible. Can't wait for it to be over

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Yang needs to stop introducing unnecessary one dimensional characters, focus on Clark and Lois' relationship without making Superman unnecessary whiny and focus on the god awful villain he introduced named hordr_root.

This WWE-like metahuman battle arena is a cooler idea than Hordr is. Good issue, might be the best yet of Yang's run.

And for a crossover that's been all about the serious business, it was funny to see Clark walking into the arena munching on tacos.

As for the plot structure, I'm not really seeing the problem. Clark goes after Hordr again, root sics a metahuman on Superman whom some of the eyewitnesses recognized, and tracked that to his place of business. He wants information, but he needs to do something for the proprietor before she talks, which is partake in her bouts. Pretty straightforward to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-28-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This WWE-like metahuman battle arena is a cooler idea than Hordr is. Good issue, might be the best yet of Yang's run.

And for a crossover that's been all about the serious business, it was funny to see Clark walking into the arena munching on tacos.

As for the plot structure, I'm not really seeing the problem. Clark goes after Hordr again, root sics a metahuman on Superman whom some of the eyewitnesses recognized, and tracked that to his place of business. He wants information, but he needs to do something for the proprietor before she talks, which is partake in her bouts. Pretty straightforward to me.
    Straightforward is to much for some. Personally I thought the issue was fun and it's interesting to see how gods from other mythologies fare.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

WTH I've just read? This issue is weird but in a good way. Yang's best so far.
    I laughed a lot while I was reading it, I didn't expect something "fun" from the Truth storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    You guys dissing romita jr are unbelievable.....i can only shake my head.....
    It is a bit strange. To each their own I guess. But I also don't understand the criticism of John Romita Jr either ... I think he's great

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Certainly not to dis on JRJR, but I think I might like Porter better on Superman. JRJR to me is better suited for say...Batman.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I am just happy to have a new SM to read!

I like the new art, but I liked the old art too. The story was fun and different. I wish SM and Action would come out twice a month; now that would make me truly happy!!!

To be honest I found Porter to be the same type of acquired taste that JRJR was for me too. Neither being particularly favorite artists of mine but types who I grew to appreciate over time regardless. I just think Porter's more burly style fits with Superman, especially for this storyline.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    WTH I've just read? This issue is weird but in a good way. Yang's best so far.
    I laughed a lot while I was reading it, I didn't expect something "fun" from the Truth storyline.
    My feelings, exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be honest I found Porter to be the same type of acquired taste that JRJR was for me too. Neither being particularly favorite artists of mine but types who I grew to appreciate over time regardless. I just think Porter's more burly style fits with Superman, especially for this storyline.
    I find that Porter's quality is (for me) really dependent on who is coloring and inking him. His style is somewhat lacking in perspective depth; it doesnt take much to put that extra little dimension in, but if no one does it his stuff just looks really flat. But I like him, and I think what he's overcome is admirable. And I really liked his work here; it felt right for the story and the character and flowed nicely. The scene of him riding the plane was just all kinds of win. If this is what we can expect from him on Superman, I hope he sticks around for a good long haul. This is the best his stuff has looked since early JLA.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I find that Porter's quality is (for me) really dependent on who is coloring and inking him. His style is somewhat lacking in perspective depth; it doesnt take much to put that extra little dimension in, but if no one does it his stuff just looks really flat. But I like him, and I think what he's overcome is admirable. And I really liked his work here; it felt right for the story and the character and flowed nicely. The scene of him riding the plane was just all kinds of win. If this is what we can expect from him on Superman, I hope he sticks around for a good long haul. This is the best his stuff has looked since early JLA.
    It's remarkable he's still in the business. ..and has two books out in one week! Quite an achievement.

Strangely enough, he was supposed to be the artist with JM Dematties on ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN way back in 2000 but it never happened. I remember being bummed then. Oh well, only took him 15 years!

As for JrJr...he's said some questionable things a few months back which didn't help ingratiate himself with some readers...but it just comes down to he really never hit his groove with Superman art wise. His last issue was just plain bad and rushed. I know there is talk he may return after his Dark knight III related commitments are met, but I'd rather he stay in the Batman line.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Liked, it probably strongest issue of Yang's run so far. I liked the line of how mythological gods always end up at the same spot, hinting that yeah, Superman is going back to his roots eventually.

This was the first issue by Yang that I enjoyed. I thought the "Mythbrawl" concept was really a lot of fun. Particularly the idea that this is how mostly forgotten gods and myths survive and tell their stories. It's the kind of fun and over the top concept that I hope to see in a Superman book. One minor thing I would have liked to see is Clark finding a way to sneak the entrance fee to the bouncer at the door and actually pay his way in after all. It would have been a nice Superman moment. Plus it would have added to his desperation to make some money when he suddenly realizes he gave away his last bit of cash to correct something he feels bad about having to do. I liked the callback to flying on top of the plane too.