Default New to collecting X-men - need advise please

Hi - I'm new to collecting, well I should say back after 30 years away. I never collected X-men, so I need some advice please. Should I start with the Marvel Masterworks, or jump into the Marvel Now? Also, which do you prefer of the current series? Amazing X-men, or Uncanny? Thanks for any feedback.

I personally find X-men stories from the 80's-to early 2000's to be the best. I would say to start reading the Marvel Masterwork stories. Honestly, I've stopped caring about the modern X-books since Rogue was killed off.

Kinda repeating what I said before, I'm more of a back issue person, I've only read the first issue of Amazing and 1-8 of Uncanny. I liked Uncanny more, even though a lot of my friends hated it.

Mirroring the post above, I have recently been pouring through the old stuff (like literally started at #1 from 1963), and I must say that the Masterworks stuff would be the best place to start.

I love this franchise, and the modern era crap is just that. Crap. I don't think there has been a really great, memorable story told in an X-Men comic since Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run. That's just me, though.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

In my opinion, you could start with Uncanny 1 and All New 1 from Marvel Now, they both start after a major event (AvX) but you will undestand what's going on. I also recommend Whedon's Astonishing.