Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Beautiful looking issue.

But still, Dick was waaaaay out of character.

Yeah, this wasn't... very good. It actually exemplifies what I feel has been off about the whole new arc. OOC Dick aside, there's been too much drama in Barbara's personal life, and not enough of an overarching plot, other than a couple of cliffhanger teases. There's roommate drama, love triangle drama, wedding drama, etc. The first arc was tied together by the mystery of the imposter Batgirl. This arc has been tied together by.... Alysia's wedding? A character who hasn't seen much development in this run outside the wedding? It's a shame because the artwork has been stellar. I love the wide range of facial expressions Tarr can pull off.

Yes, ever since the convergence break things seem a little of with book. It's missing cohesion, everything feels rushed, maybe they should go back to 6 issues arcs...

Oh Man, shippers on Twitter and Tumblr are not happy with this. Not that I blame them, of course.

not as bad as I thought the issue was gonna be
    Dick is very much the douchebag this issue and Babs had to point out that which threw me a bit. A lot of melodrama this issue
    The art this issue reminds me of some really cheesy shoujo manga not my taste

I don't like that Luke and Dick were just stereotypes of jealous (ex-)boyfriends, the Issue would have been better if Dick had at least had a reason to be there. Like a villain Luke and him would have to deal with through Babs orders who coordinates the wedding and their fight.

The art is fantastic. Babs Tarr really is doing an incredible job, even though the style does not work for every kind of story.

Spectacular Member Shadow Myyst's Avatar

Dick didn't seem too OOC. This is the guy who let a group of girls chase him because he was bored ya know. The guy was jealous and a tinge bit hurt. If Disney's Hercules has taught me anything and I quote "People always do crazy things when they're in love." Lol. If anything I felt sad for Grayson, he just wants his old life back.

In terms of Babs friend finally getting married and addressing the elephant in the room, it was a good issue. I enjoyed it even if I shedded ONE tear and ONE tear only!

Warning, this is the opinions of a guy who only picked this one issue of Batgirl up for Grayson, so there's going to be a lot of bias.

So... Dick was written like a child for a page or two. Why? What makes anyone think this man would ever grab someone's wedding ring and run around? I mean, at least his actual physical competence wasn't watered down so Babs could beat him up for some contrived reason. Also, man, they really turned Dick into a stereotype just so they could make Babs look good and make the LukeBabs ship move forward without any problems from DickBabs shippers. Even though they literally just made more problems. Dick was Batman. Compressed timeline or not, his age doesn't matter. It's his experience that does. He wouldn't stand there watching Babs dancing with Luke. All sad like...

Ignoring all that, The Robin flashback was pretty sweet. And the art was pretty damn good here. I loved the grin Dick has as he just comes through the window, lol. Luke was actually cool here, so I liked that. Babs... they could've easily made her really cool this issue, since ignoring her interactions with Dick makes her actually really likeable. She's cool... until whatever happens with Dick, which just makes Babs annoying and Dick a complete idiot.

Batgirl is basically a shoujo manga, but a western comic, instead. It's really sad that this is the Dick that audience will read. But at least, for the most part, their Batgirl is good. Glad other people enjoy this, just wished they could've stepped their game up this issue.

If there was ever another issue with Dick in Batgirl, I'd probably just read it for the art. I'd be pretty wary of of the writing. I'm kinda worried about Dick in Starfire now, too...
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 10-28-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Warning, this is the opinions of a guy who only picked this one issue of Batgirl up for Grayson, so there's going to be a lot of bias.

So... Dick was written like a child for a page or two. Why? What makes anyone think this man would ever grab someone's wedding ring and run around? I mean, at least his actual physical competence wasn't watered down so Babs could beat him up for some contrived reason. Also, man, they really turned Dick into a stereotype just so they could make Babs look good and make the LukeBabs ship move forward without any problems from DickBabs shippers. Even though they literally just made more problems. Dick was Batman. Compressed timeline or not, his age doesn't matter. It's his experience that does. He wouldn't stand there watching Babs dancing with Luke. All sad like...

Ignoring all that, The Robin flashback was pretty sweet. And the art was pretty damn good here. I loved the grin Dick has as he just comes through the window, lol. Luke was actually cool here, so I liked that. Babs... they could've easily made her really cool this issue, since ignoring her interactions with Dick makes her actually really likeable. She's cool... until whatever happens with Dick, which just makes Babs annoying and Dick a complete idiot.

Batgirl is basically a shoujo manga, but a western comic, instead. It's really sad that this is the Dick that audience will read. But at least, for the most part, their Batgirl is good. Glad other people enjoy this, just wished they could've stepped their game up this issue.

If there was ever another issue with Dick in Batgirl, I'd probably just read it for the art. I'd be pretty wary of of the writing. I'm kinda worried about Dick in Starfire now, too...
    I never thought of that but yeah your right this would be the shoujou counterpart for Americans

But yeah, I had to check this out BECASUE bataman and robin eternal told me too. Its weird to see Dick being so petty here and then go back to him beng cool and in control in the other book. I mean really? Why make him into the cliche

Maybe he really does love Babs to such an extent that seeing her move on with her life without him is tearing him apart and disabling him from being his normal cool self around her?

It happens.

Well, although I agree that there are problems in the execution, I am not so sure Dick is as completely out of character as all that. This is a guy who lives his life with very intense focus and who pretty much expects everything else to fit around that focus one way or the other. In practical terms, that often means expecting everyone else to accept things on his terms. Even his legendary kindness is very much kindness extended on his terms and his understandings.

Like I say, I see a lot of the problems people are talking about. But this does fall roughly in line with what we saw in Grayson 12 and Batman and Robin Eternal 2. Dick believes he has good reasons for his decisions and, when push comes to shove, really does kind of expect everyone else to accept his hierarchy of values. For instance, it is pretty clear that his relationship with Batman is the most important one in his life. In those past two issues when he is dealing with the Bat Family and Stephanie, it seems that, at some fundamental level, he just doesn't get that "Because Batman asked me to," isn't an acceptable answer to most people.

So, yeah, not the smoothest characterization. But not totally off the wall, either.

Lets demonize Dick to make Babs likeable. Ugh...
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Well, although I agree that there are problems in the execution, I am not so sure Dick is as completely out of character as all that. This is a guy who lives his life with very intense focus and who pretty much expects everything else to fit around that focus one way or the other. In practical terms, that often means expecting everyone else to accept things on his terms. Even his legendary kindness is very much kindness extended on his terms and his understandings.

Like I say, I see a lot of the problems people are talking about. But this does fall roughly in line with what we saw in Grayson 12 and Batman and Robin Eternal 2. Dick believes he has good reasons for his decisions and, when push comes to shove, really does kind of expect everyone else to accept his hierarchy of values. For instance, it is pretty clear that his relationship with Batman is the most important one in his life. In those past two issues when he is dealing with the Bat Family and Stephanie, it seems that, at some fundamental level, he just doesn't get that "Because Batman asked me to," isn't an acceptable answer to most people.

So, yeah, not the smoothest characterization. But not totally off the wall, either.
    Even then, this issue doesn't really convey what you said. Showing up unannounced at wedding, stealing the ring, and telling Babs to "hush"? He just comes across as more of a straw man in this case. It's the cliched love triangle between the "mild-mannered nice guy", and the "dashing and adventurous jock".

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Even then, this issue doesn't really convey what you said. Showing up unannounced at wedding, stealing the ring, and telling Babs to "hush"? He just comes across as more of a straw man in this case. It's the cliched love triangle between the "mild-mannered nice guy", and the "dashing and adventurous jock".
    Yeah, I agree, the problems are glaring. Partly that's the result of the tone required by Batgirl of Burnside. Partly it's just poor execution. It probably also has to do with strategic decisions on the part of the Batman Office as to how they want things to develop going forward. Nevertheless, saying that Dick would never come across as self-absorbed and high-handed? That's probably pushing things too far.

Dick was in the wrong here
    "Oh you're here with your boyfriend? Allow me to be a jerk and try and kiss you while I ruin your friends wedding"
    Yeah...I think everything ended a bit too clean there but at least he got his just desserts at the end.
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 10-28-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    That's what bugged me. They had put Dick acting like a douche to prop up Luke, in a way. I don't think Dick would tell Babs, or any woman, to "hush". It was very bad portrayal of Dick and a poor depiction of his relationship with Barbara.

Lol it just occurred to me that Dick is sort of 'the villain' in this issue.
    Last edited by batsgrayson; 10-28-2015 at 10:03 AM.