Page 312 of 374 FirstFirst ... 212262302308309310311312313314315316322362 ... LastLast
Results 4,666 to 4,680 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Seriously?

He just witnessed the end of his people, the death of his Aunt, and he sent his infant son into space and had no idea where he was at that moment. On top of that, he just learned that his Earth was about to be destroyed. How was he supposed to act?
    I guess some people want the DCEU Superman. To just have a blank, bored expression all the time even if something really bad happens, like the US Capitol building being destroyed by a bomb with him in it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I guess some people want the DCEU Superman. To just have a blank, bored expression all the time even if something really bad happens, like the US Capitol building being destroyed by a bomb with him in it.
    Or conversely, people want Kara to be just as emotionally upset as Superman rather than being the one who pulls him out of a funk when both of them are suffering the same level of loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Or conversely, people want Kara to be just as emotionally upset as Superman rather than being the one who pulls him out of a funk when both of them are suffering the same level of loss.
    Kal witnessed it first hand, so I think its kinda normal for him to be more affected.

Extraordinary Member

Exactly. She just lost her mother but was still confident they would prevail. The Superman I grew up with would've believed whole heartedly that he and his companions would be able to defeat whatever was coming their way. He would not have sulked and wondered if there was going to be a tomorrow or not.

Tyler Hoechlin did a great job with what they gave him to do - he's a great Superman. I just didn't care for the writing of that scene. It was like they were weakening Superman so that Kara could be the confident one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Exactly. She just lost her mother but was still confident they would prevail. The Superman I grew up with would've believed whole heartedly that he and his companions would be able to defeat whatever was coming their way. He would not have sulked and wondered if there was going to be a tomorrow or not.

Tyler Hoechlin did a great job with what they gave him to do - he's a great Superman. I just didn't care for the writing of that scene. It was like they were weakening Superman so that Kara could be the confident one.

I’m sure that was the intention but the result was that Clark came off like more of an actual character whereas Kara was written like a cipher not allowed to feel the depth of human emotion.

Clark’s feelings in that scene were extremely genuine and they do not make him weak because struggling on occasion does not make a person weak. He experienced a great deal of loss and was struggling with the very real reality that, in his eyes, he also failed his wife and son. Not only is it extremely in character for the Superman I know and love to blame himself and feel he didn’t do enough but it’s a problem to me that Supergirl wasn’t allowed to express the same level of pain.

In their attempt to build Kara up and prove how much “better” she is than Superman (a stupid exercise because they can be equals without constantly having to tear him down) they’ve made her a cipher who doesn’t get to explore her own feelings and emotions.

Having doubts and struggling with pain does not make Superman weak. It’s what makes him someone that we can relate to as opposed to an untouchable god with no emotions. A Superman who watches thousands die and feels helpless protecting his son and wife standing there all smiles so sure of everything and not feeling that pain is not a Superman I know or want to know. And, frankly, in their attempt to prove how much better Kara is....they short changed her.

Also, just as an aside, I can’t think of one Superman in media in the last 40 years who wouldn’t react the same way. People love to act like Clark never struggled with doubt when it’s just untrue. Even the Chris Reeve Superman struggled deeper with doubt and sadness and it’s most evident in Superman 4 where he literally tells Lois that he needs to be near her because she makes him laugh and “sometimes I just don’t know what to do.” This is not new and does not make him less of a hero.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 12-09-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize the show is called Supergirl but do they have to make Superman so emotionally weak? I realize he was worried about his son, but I thought he was going to give up before the fight even began.
    I can sort of sympathize with him, but he did sort of go over the top a bit. And he didn’t even mention the symmetry of sending his son to earth in a rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    In their attempt to build Kara up and prove how much “better” she is than Superman (a stupid exercise because they can be equals without constantly having to tear him down) they’ve made her a cipher who doesn’t get to explore her own feelings and emotions.
    All Kara does in this show is explore her feelings and emotions.

As to why she acted like this here- first, this isn't the first time she's seen her mother die. Maybe she's in denial and doesn't believe she's truly gone. Maybe she can accept it more easily because she spent years believing her mother was dead, and considers the time they had together again a gift. Or maybe she's just internalizing everything at this moment, and she'll break down later. It's important to note that all of this happened in the span of a few hours; Kal was more emotional as a new father who's son (and then wife) were out in the unknown where he couldn't protect them. Kara, meanwhile, has had a world-threatening crisis to deal with every year for the past 4 years, so she may have been able to better compartmentalize her feelings. Also, we have yet to see the full aftermath of Kara loosing her second home; they could be saving that for later in the Crisis, or later in her season.

I should also note that, as of now, we only know that 3 billion people were saved. But we don't know if Eliza, James, Jeremiah, or anyone else they were closed to made it off the planet. And since Earth 38 was wiped from existence, so too was it's future, which means the Legion (and Mon-El, and Winn) are most likely dead. I suspect we may explore that at some point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    All Kara does in this show is explore her feelings and emotions.

As to why she acted like this here- first, this isn't the first time she's seen her mother die. Maybe she's in denial and doesn't believe she's truly gone. Maybe she can accept it more easily because she spent years believing her mother was dead, and considers the time they had together again a gift. Or maybe she's just internalizing everything at this moment, and she'll break down later. It's important to note that all of this happened in the span of a few hours; Kal was more emotional as a new father who's son (and then wife) were out in the unknown where he couldn't protect them. Kara, meanwhile, has had a world-threatening crisis to deal with every year for the past 4 years, so she may have been able to better compartmentalize her feelings. Also, we have yet to see the full aftermath of Kara loosing her second home; they could be saving that for later in the Crisis, or later in her season.

I should also note that, as of now, we only know that 3 billion people were saved. But we don't know if Eliza, James, Jeremiah, or anyone else they were closed to made it off the planet. And since Earth 38 was wiped from existence, so too was it's future, which means the Legion (and Mon-El, and Winn) are most likely dead. I suspect we may explore that at some point as well.
    I think it's important to note that Kara experienced Krypton's destruction differently then Clark did, because she was actually raised there, and had time to process and deal with the loss differently then he did. So I don't think it's so much that she's a cipher so much as she's bringing her own perspective into things to help Clark.

I think the shows have an issue of treating Clark too much like a supporting character to Kara, but I can emphasize with what Clark was feeling at the time.

I think anyone who didn't get evacuated will be restored once the Earths merge.

Astonishing Member

The problem to me is that according to the show Superman was an established hero before Kara ever revealed her existence, but is written as if he is a neophyte around Supergirl.

He should have over a decade of dealing with these situations more than Kara. So if he is emotionally overwhelmed by the stakes, she should be too. And if she is able to compartmentalize and deal with what needs to be done leaving the emotional reaction until she has time to deal with it, he should be able to do the same. Saying she spends every other episode dealing with her emotions actually makes less sense as it would seem she should be more likely then to be doing so now.

I can see Clark being worried and a bit despondent, though I'd rather he have a veteran hero approach of "I'll deal with that when there is time". I can deal with Kara putting on a brave face and trying to keep a positive attitude. But it makes no sense for the girl who isn't five years into her career to always be giving advice to the guy who has been at this so much longer.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 12-09-2019 at 11:41 AM.

The problem to me is that according to the show Superman was an established hero before Kara ever revealed her existence, but is written as if he is a neophyte around Supergirl.

He should have over a decade of dealing with these situations more than Kara. So if he is emotionally overwhelmed by the stakes, she should be too. And if she is able to compartmentalize and deal with what needs to be done leaving the emotional reaction until she has time to deal with it, he should be able to do the same. Saying she spends every other episode dealing with her emotions actually makes less sense as it would seem she should be more likely then to be doing so now.

I can see Clark being worried and a bit despondent, though I'd rather he have a veteran hero approach of "I'll deal with that when there is time". I can deal with Kara putting on a brave face and trying to keep a positive attitude. But it makes no sense for the girl who isn't five years into her career to always be giving advice to the guy who has been at this so much longer.
    I blame "main character" syndrome.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I blame "main character" syndrome.
    Except Ollie and Barry aren't treated this way. Ollie actually is the hero of the episode. And Barry never gets undercut (at least not more than on his own show) when he guest stars.

Except Ollie and Barry aren't treated this way. Ollie actually is the hero of the episode. And Barry never gets undercut (at least not more than on his own show) when he guest stars.
    Because they're the leads of the other shows. As of this point, Superman is still basically just a supporting character for Kara until his show starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Because they're the leads of the other shows. As of this point, Superman is still basically just a supporting character for Kara until his show starts.
    Ding Ding!

If his show is picked up and they still treat him like a second banana when Supergirl cameos, then you can complain. But for now, Superman is making a guest appearance in SUPERGIRL, so of course they are going to show the lead of the show in a more positive light then the guest star.

I'm pretty much returning to the Arrowverse just for this crossover but I'm hoping they treat Routh's Superman with respect. This is technically Christopher Reeve's Superman. Dude is strong af. He better not get washed by fodder

BANNED

I'm interested in learning what the post crisis arrowverse will be.