Page 294 of 303 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 4545
  1. #4396
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I don't get Brainy's hesitation with Nia if he has so much dating experience. It felt like forced drama just for the sake of drama. Having a drama-free couple is too much to ask, I know, but sheesh.
    To me it comes off more as comedy relief. Brainy is the awkward fish out of water character new to our world and learning its ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have seen nothing in this show to say Kara or Lena are lesbian. Both have only had straight relationships. Women can be dear friends without being lesbians.
    Reeks of fanfic to me.
    We already have a perfectly fine lesbian character in Alex and now we have Kelly. Plus now we have Batwoman. There are straight women in the world and they should have representation too.

  2. #4397
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Kara's suit is a symbiote? I like her new look, but I'm not a fan of the transformation. Maybe Alex needs something like that since she is so slow to change.

    I don't get Brainy's hesitation with Nia if he has so much dating experience. It felt like forced drama just for the sake of drama. Having a drama-free couple is too much to ask, I know, but sheesh.

    Lena's story is proof of why her being in a romantic relationship with Kara would diminish her character. If they were a couple and this happened, she would be reduced to scorned lover. In this case, there are more layers to her betrayal. I mean, the story could still go to crap, but it has a lot of potential.



    Guess this is why a lot of shows on cable and Netflix and what have you have half the episode count per season. More room for the good stuff and less padding needed.



    Human Red-K? So like...Dope?
    Even the Marvel Netflix Shows use to get the comments about being better if an episode or two shorter. I was watching some West Wing and Toby tells Leo replacing Sam isn't easy because there under ten people in the world who can speech write in their League and I think this happened to tv. Also watching the 1st two seasons of Law and Order and they're all good no clunkers 30 years ago 4 Networks, Public television and a handful of Cable and Syndicated Shows so most writing rooms were all the A-Team now with so many Streaming, Cable Networks, and Regular Networks making tv shows regularly most writings rooms are lucky to get one or two great writers and mostly mediocre writers who wouldn't had even gotten hired 30 years ago when the job was more exclusive due to the limited amount of jobs.

    Please no one interpret this as a jab against affirmative action or anything like that there is now and was then lots of great minority and female writers who deserve to be there this is just about the abundance of jobs in tv writing now means a lot of mediocrity has risen higher than it would had before with a lot being white dudes.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-11-2019 at 08:51 AM.

  3. #4398
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    My take:

    1. The acting is very, very stiff. The dramatic quality is far inferior in portraying conflict and emotion than many other shows.
    2. Enough with the love life
    3. Stupid plot twists - you leave a ship with antimatter of tremendous risk in a museum. That ship would have been confiscated by the government and taken apart.
    4. Once again, J'onn can't fight his way out of a paper bag. His fight was so poorly choreographed to be slow motion haymakers and kicks.
    5. As pointed out the Catco contract makes no legal sense. A zillion lawyers would leap at challenging it and suing for major damages to the workers.
    6. That Jimmy version was always a mistake.
    7. How come an energy blast that knocks down J'onn and Kara didn't turn Alex into applesauce. Even if her suit has resistance, her head doesn't.
    8. Can't fly straight without a cape, where did that come from? A zillion folks fly just fine without a cape. Go back to flight school.

    Picky, picky I know but come on writers, try to be less silly.

  4. #4399
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    My take:

    1. The acting is very, very stiff. The dramatic quality is far inferior in portraying conflict and emotion than many other shows.
    2. Enough with the love life
    3. Stupid plot twists - you leave a ship with antimatter of tremendous risk in a museum. That ship would have been confiscated by the government and taken apart.
    4. Once again, J'onn can't fight his way out of a paper bag. His fight was so poorly choreographed to be slow motion haymakers and kicks.
    5. As pointed out the Catco contract makes no legal sense. A zillion lawyers would leap at challenging it and suing for major damages to the workers.
    6. That Jimmy version was always a mistake.
    7. How come an energy blast that knocks down J'onn and Kara didn't turn Alex into applesauce. Even if her suit has resistance, her head doesn't.
    8. Can't fly straight without a cape, where did that come from? A zillion folks fly just fine without a cape. Go back to flight school.

    Picky, picky I know but come on writers, try to be less silly.
    Answering a few of these:

    3.: Yup. While I can see the Government not taking the ship because it was Superman's (and they had already studied both Kara's and Mon El's pod), I have no explanation why Clark didn't empty the gas tank before donating the ship to a museum. That was ri-goddamn-diculous.

    7: Good point. Also, for energy that destroys everything it touches, it really didn't destroy anything. Also, if that was the case, then Kara may be invincible and J'onn may be tougher than most, but Alex, Dreamer, Brainy, and James are all still pretty fragile comparatively speaking.

    8: That was actually set up in the pilot. Kara went out and chased bank robbers without a cape, and couldn't turn fast enough while flying and plowed into an embankment. That said, she should still be able to fly in a straight line. I can only conclude that the damaged cape was throwing her off.

    That being said- everything that cape has been through, and getting bit by a T-Rex was what it took to shred it? Really? It would have made more sense to have Midnight's powers be the cause of the destruction.

    This actually makes me angrier the more I think about it, and it just points to how bad the writers are. They had a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation as to why Kara would get a new costume. Instead, they turn it into a comedy bit with a T-Rex shredding the cap and Brainy acting over the top about it.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 10-11-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  5. #4400
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Even the Marvel Netflix Shows use to get the comments about being better if an episode or two shorter. I was watching some West Wing and Toby tells Leo replacing Sam isn't easy because there under ten people in the world who can speech write in their League and I think this happened to tv. Also watching the 1st two seasons of Law and Order and they're all good no clunkers 30 years ago 4 Networks, Public television and a handful of Cable and Syndicated Shows so most writing rooms were all the A-Team now with so many Streaming, Cable Networks, and Regular Networks making tv shows regularly most writings rooms are lucky to get one or two great writers and mostly mediocre writers who wouldn't had even gotten hired 30 years ago when the job was more exclusive due to the limited amount of jobs.

    Please no one interpret this as a jab against affirmative action or anything like that there is now and was then lots of great minority and female writers who deserve to be there this is just about the abundance of jobs in tv writing now means a lot of mediocrity has risen higher than it would had before with a lot being white dudes.
    Actually, that is an excellent point. I never thought of the fact that, with so many channels looking for so much content, the talent pool for writing them wouldn't be as big.

  6. #4401
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Kara's suit is a symbiote? I like her new look, but I'm not a fan of the transformation. Maybe Alex needs something like that since she is so slow to change.

    I don't get Brainy's hesitation with Nia if he has so much dating experience. It felt like forced drama just for the sake of drama. Having a drama-free couple is too much to ask, I know, but sheesh.

    Lena's story is proof of why her being in a romantic relationship with Kara would diminish her character. If they were a couple and this happened, she would be reduced to scorned lover. In this case, there are more layers to her betrayal. I mean, the story could still go to crap, but it has a lot of potential.



    Guess this is why a lot of shows on cable and Netflix and what have you have half the episode count per season. More room for the good stuff and less padding needed.



    Human Red-K? So like...Dope?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I took it as more nanotech than a symbiote. But god yes, Alex needs a new (better) suit.



    He was so hesitant because of what happened at the end of last season, when he was rebooted into Brainiac-1.



    Explain Legends then. They got half the episodes, and it's gotten progressively worse.




    Red Cocaine?
    As a sucker for tokusatsu (which has transforming heroes as a time-worn staple), I liked Kara's "henshin" into Supergirl. And yes, judging by Brainy's description, it is more of a nanosuit, similar to what Spider-Man was wearing for most of Spider-Man Unlimited (the cartoon, not the mobile game). On the subject of Kara's relationship with Lena, I'm perfectly fine with them as friends, or as TV Tropes put it, a "Romantic Two-Girl Friendship," kind of the female equivalent of a bromance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #4402
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have seen nothing in this show to say Kara or Lena are lesbian. Both have only had straight relationships. Women can be dear friends without being lesbians.
    Reeks of fanfic to me.
    Shippers gonna ship. It gets tiresome, yeah. But what can you do?

  8. #4403
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    The reason why Kara had to tell Lena was because if they were lovers, when going to the sack and taking off her glasses - oops - instead of sexy undies - there's a super suit. Surprise.

    Just being silly.

  9. #4404
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    He was so hesitant because of what happened at the end of last season, when he was rebooted into Brainiac-1.
    He's been hesitant from the beginning, like "what do I do with a girl" hesitant.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  10. #4405
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    He's been hesitant from the beginning, like "what do I do with a girl" hesitant.
    I actually took that hesitance to be that he either knew what her life was supposed to be since he was from the future, or that he knew her descendant and was worried that by getting involved in someone in the past, they would be erased from the future.

  11. #4406
    Mighty Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    He was so hesitant because of what happened at the end of last season, when he was rebooted into Brainiac-1.
    I guess that's true, its better for there to be repercussions from that rather than him just go back to normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Explain Legends then. They got half the episodes, and it's gotten progressively worse.
    Legends is focused more on comedy now, so that's what they wanted to accomplish. Shorter episodes per season has the potential for a tighter story and suspense that is held for just long enough. While Legends did have an arc, some of those plots would've been worse during a full season (imagine Nate having daddy issues and Ray and Nora making eyes at each other for 20+ episodes).

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Even the Marvel Netflix Shows use to get the comments about being better if an episode or two shorter. I was watching some West Wing and Toby tells Leo replacing Sam isn't easy because there under ten people in the world who can speech write in their League and I think this happened to tv. Also watching the 1st two seasons of Law and Order and they're all good no clunkers 30 years ago 4 Networks, Public television and a handful of Cable and Syndicated Shows so most writing rooms were all the A-Team now with so many Streaming, Cable Networks, and Regular Networks making tv shows regularly most writings rooms are lucky to get one or two great writers and mostly mediocre writers who wouldn't had even gotten hired 30 years ago when the job was more exclusive due to the limited amount of jobs.
    While that's a good point (and these days because there are so many channels and TV shows, more people with more specific tastes can be catered to, rather than back then when only the cream of the crop which can appeal to the majority of the audience would make it to air), Law and Order is more episodic, isn't it? Episodes can be good because they were meant to stand on their own. Having a beginning, middle, and end over the course of many episodes rather than just one runs the risk of having weaker episodes (and even episodes that viewers will dismiss as "pointless filler").

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As a sucker for tokusatsu (which has transforming heroes as a time-worn staple), I liked Kara's "henshin" into Supergirl. And yes, judging by Brainy's description, it is more of a nanosuit, similar to what Spider-Man was wearing for most of Spider-Man Unlimited (the cartoon, not the mobile game).
    Any time I see a suit forming around somebody, it makes me think of symbiotes.

  12. #4407
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,634

    Default

    Hey, Kari Wahlgren is Lena's AI that is totally not going to turn evil at some point! She was Supergirl once in a Lego game! I wonder if it'll turn out to be this show's equivalent of Computo...

    That Superman/Supergirl museum was awesome. I loved that they had a Phantom Zone play area, Superman's rocket, and a poster of Lex. Although how the heck did this show get Kate Miucci to show up? Would've been hilarious if she had let loose a "Jinkies."

    I guess the main political issue of this season will be print news as a dying media versus clickbait social media.

    I wonder if it's too much to expect Andrea to take up her comic identity of Acrata, complete with suit and powers? Although I would like to think there'll be at least one nod to it.

    Anyone wanna bet that cynical reporter Kara used to idolize will end up being her new love interest?

    I don't know how they took a pulpy character like Midnight and turned them into teleport vortex killer woman. These writers really do just google names and powers and that's about it, huh?

    Did anyone else get the sense that Andrea did something to burn Lena in the past? It sounded like Lena was giving her another chance with their friendship.

    Some would say Kara revealing herself to Lena has been coming since season 2, but at least it's finally out there and in a very genuine and heartfelt emotional moment from Kara to Lena. I'm glad they finally got that out of there, even if the relief on Lena's part seems partially an act as part of a sinister plot to destroy Supergirl...which hopefully Lena won't go through with.

    Brainy says for Kara to not take her glasses off lest her costume come out...only for her to take her glasses off five seconds later and not transform. Guess it would've been out-of-place in that dramatic moment. I don't know how I feel about Kara now being able to transform into her costume, if only because the super-speed change and ripping of the shirt is so iconic to the franchise.

    "Pants!" Has Kara in-universe been wanting pants this whole time? I thought she liked wearing a skirt. Are pants really that big a deal outside certain fans? I don't hate the new suit even if I don't love it like I did the old look, but it is what it is. I'll miss the red. The suit also seems more "Superwoman" then "Supergirl."

    Y'know, this probably could've been avoided all this if J'onn had just changed into his Martian form. I guess they needed to save the CGI budget for Malefic.

    Jimmy is once again directionless, only this time it's to pretty much write him out of the show.

    So...Brainy isn't a virgin? At least in relationships. Which actually kind of surprises me even if Nia is the first time he's been in love with someone. I guess he had one of those "did it just to do it" type things or been kissed before. I dunno. He's a very believable virgin :P.

    So J'onn doesn't remember having a brother. Did his dad erase Malefic from his memories?

  13. #4408
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    While that's a good point (and these days because there are so many channels and TV shows, more people with more specific tastes can be catered to, rather than back then when only the cream of the crop which can appeal to the majority of the audience would make it to air), Law and Order is more episodic, isn't it? Episodes can be good because they were meant to stand on their own. Having a beginning, middle, and end over the course of many episodes rather than just one runs the risk of having weaker episodes (and even episodes that viewers will dismiss as "pointless filler").
    Most police procedurals on TV are episodic, even current ones like Hawaii Five-O, the NCIS shows, L&O:SVU , 9-1-1, with a villain of the week and maybe some long term theme brought up once in a while. As I recall CBS was billing Supergirl
    following that format before the show actually started airing. Each episode would have Supergirl fighting a villain of the week. Perhaps that is what hurt Supergirl on CBS. The typical CBS audience isn't used to following a story over the period
    of several weeks like Supergirl was doing with the Myriad story. That may be why Supergirl works better on the CW. People that watch the CW are used to having a story that lasts all season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Brainy says for Kara to not take her glasses off lest her costume come out...only for her to take her glasses off five seconds later and not transform. Guess it would've been out-of-place in that dramatic moment. I don't know how I feel about Kara now being able to transform into her costume, if only because the super-speed change and ripping of the shirt is so iconic to the franchise.
    Brainy specifically cautioned Kara to take care when whipping the glasses off. Apparently there is some sort of motion sensor that is only triggered by rapid movement. So just easing the glasses off wouldn't trigger the suit forming.
    At least Kara doesn't have to spin around to get the suit to form.

  14. #4409
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    At least Kara doesn't have to spin around to get the suit to form.
    That's kind of cooler though .

  15. #4410
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Where do her regular clothes go? Clark, way back when, had some wrinkle free duds he would stow in his cape. To the regular clothes get shifted to some pocket dimension?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •