Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TV Supergirl [Spoilers]

I have to admit I'm looking forward to this. I haven't seen or heard anything about this show that gives me pause. The only thing that even approaches a question is a lingering doubt that the production quality can be maintained (take a look at the first episode of House, for example, and you'll see production quality that is never attempted again).

Vox.com had a review today that makes me more excited for it than previously.

"There's a difference between a serious superhero and a superhero played seriously."

This sort of observation is like manna from heaven to me. It's why I didn't care for Man of Steel, and don't look forward to Batman v Superman. It's why I think Amazing Spider-man did less well than Raimi Spider-man. Serious superhero fits Batman in live action, and almost no other superhero.

It appears that Supergirl gets it. I can't wait to find out more.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Haven't seen the pilot that leaked, but it looks great.

Amazing costume, the effects look more than decent for television, love the actress playing Kara and I'm excited to see Maxwell Lord finally appear outside of comic books.

But, as excited as I am to see Red Tornado, his suit looks pretty tacky.

i'm always online and i'm nice on there

I have seen the pilot and can't wait for more. I loved what I saw. Can't wait to see Peter as Max Lord

Astonishing Member

Yeah, this and Blindspot are the two shows I was/am most excited about. I really hope it does well, though I'm nervous about it not being in the best time slot for it to succeed. *fingerscrossed*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Yeah, this and Blindspot are the two shows I was/am most excited about. I really hope it does well, though I'm nervous about it not being in the best time slot for it to succeed. *fingerscrossed*
    I think the show's regular slot (Mondays at 8:00) is actually pretty good. Its only major competition is really "The Voice." Yeah, it's going against "Gotham" but Gotham is hardly a ratings juggernaut and Supergirl is likely to draw a significant audience segment of people who don't watch Gotham.

(Blindspot is turning out to be much better than I expected, although admittedly my expectations were quite low.)

I've already seen the pilot (assuming no changes were made, which is probably safe to assume) and quite enjoyed it. I hope this does well enough to continue on for at least a few seasons.

I have no hangs-ups on "TV show vs. comics" as I am not the biggest DC fan. Announcement of the show, however, led me to try out some Supergirl trades; was quite sad to see her solo canceled shortly before the debut of the show. Maybe a successful show can help change this.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 10-26-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Default Supergirl

CBS's new tv show SUPERGIRL had a really good series premiere, at least ratings-wise.

Looking at the new show now from a non-Superverse-centric lens:

I really liked the series premiere, thought it was a solid "B" grade, in terms of grading it strictly as a pilot episode (which I feel you have to do with pilots versus any subsequent episodes of any show).

The next question this show will face is ... how many people will watch the second episode and beyond? There's usually a noticeable drop-off after a big series premiere, but not always. And I don't know how much having THE BIG BANG THEORY as a lead-in pushed those numbers.

Melissa Benoist is excellent as Kara Zor-El / Danvers. She nails the "Girl Next Door" vibe that (IMHO) is what Supergirl should be giving off (as opposed to "Sex on Legs" vibe that other comic book characters get).

Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen will take some getting used to, even for some of the more open-minded Superverse fans, but to casual viewers, it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Pretty much everyone else was good to very good. Calista Flockhart as Kara'a boss Cat Grant needs the most tweeking, but she serves an important role.

Vartox was wasted. I get they wanted a serious threat for Kara's first fight, but I think they could have used a different villain in that case. Funny Vartox can hopefully still be used down the road, even if you have to re-name/re-cast him after Serious Vartox.

The show basically starts off during "Superman: Year Twelve", where Superman is so famous and well-known that his presence is acknowledged by everyone as a fact of life on this Earth. He is mentioned by name (Yes, they do actually say the name "Superman" in the show). He is also the only public super-hero on the planet at the start of the series. IMHO, these two facts prove that SUPERGIRL does not take place on the same Earth-CW with ARROW and THE FLASH and the upcoming LEGENDS OF TOMORROW.

What did y'all think of the series pilot episode? Will you be tuning in for more?

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I loved it too. Jimmys energy is off or too much, sometimes being sexy is not enough but he could get better.

Mighty Member

I finally watched it. It was pretty good. It seems this show might focus on alien DC Comics stuff like how Arrow usually does non-powered DC Comics stuff and Flash does super-science DC Comics stuff. Jimmy seemed a little too poised to be the Jimmy we're used to, but we'll see how that plays out. It was nice to see the DEO again, I don't think those guys have been in DC Comics since the early 2000s, having been supplanted by Argus. What bugs me though is why they called that guy who was clearly The Persuader by the name Vartox. I mean, cosmic baddie with a big axe just screams "Persuader" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I finally watched it. It was pretty good. It seems this show might focus on alien DC Comics stuff like how Arrow usually does non-powered DC Comics stuff and Flash does super-science DC Comics stuff. Jimmy seemed a little too poised to be the Jimmy we're used to, but we'll see how that plays out. It was nice to see the DEO again, I don't think those guys have been in DC Comics since the early 2000s, having been supplanted by Argus. What bugs me though is why they called that guy who was clearly The Persuader by the name Vartox. I mean, cosmic baddie with a big axe just screams "Persuader" to me.
    I think this might be the first live action TV show, or even movie, with a Super character going to another planet, or even scenes of other planets. Previously all we have gotten is Krypton and related things
    like the Phantom Zone. But so far on Supergirl we have not only seen life on Krypton, but also Mars, Daxam, going to other Earths and now Slaver's Moon. And also having aliens that look like aliens.
    Jo, Brian, Giggles, Fish Head, and the other unnamed denizens of the dive bar, J'onn Jonzz, White Martians, Maaldorians, Dominators. Again previously all we had was human looking Kryptonians and
    a brief appearance of Martian Manhunter on Smallville. And the movies are just stuck on rehashing Lex Luthor and General Zod over and over again.

Give me this!

Fantastic Member

Default The SUPERGIRL show annoys me

Let me be clear - I want to like this show. I like most of the characters on the show (Mon-El annoys the crap outta me). It started off well enough. But season 2 became nothing but one huge political statement and I hated it. The other CW / DC shows are just good escapist fun and I wish that SUPERGIRL would follow suit.

Incredible Member

....Dude,Supergirl was always a huge political statement.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Let me be clear - I want to like this show. I like most of the characters on the show (Mon-El annoys the crap outta me). It started off well enough. But season 2 became nothing but one huge political statement and I hated it. The other CW / DC shows are just good escapist fun and I wish that SUPERGIRL would follow suit.
    For me its kinda the reverse, the first season had Alex Danvers accusing Martian Manhunter of being sexist for no real reason and had Cat Grant talking about sticking it to Maxwell Lord, that "embodiment of white male privilege."

Season 2 had Snapper Carr insisting on balanced journalism over a biased hit piece and an arced out, natural coming out story for Alex.
    Even the Cadmus stuff was very stock anti-alien group stuff from sci-fi. I stopped watching as regularly near the end of the season so maybe they were bashing you over the head with a point by then, but from what I saw of season 2, it was alot less nauseatingly didactic than season 1.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I stop watching Supergirl in the middle of second season because there was nothing for me to care about. I didn't like Jimmy as the Guardian, Mon-El sucked, Wasn't feeling Cadmus being a terrorist organization, Superman was only around for 2 episodes. I wasn't enjoying the show so I stopped.