Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IT prequel show for HBO Max

IT Prequel Show Reportedly In The Works About Pennywise Origin Story on HBO MAX this has a lot of potential I wonder if it's connected to the movies or it's own thing?

https://screenrant.com/it-prequel-sh...story-hbo-max/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

A prequel seems like a dead end to me... we literally know that none of the protagonists they might introduce will likely survive as Pennywise's first defeat is at the hands of the losers.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Fantastic Member

It's a good idea but it really depends on the era they pick. The settlers story is likely the best place to start and would be worth it to invest in. If they do the 31' story than that's a hard pass for me.

Eh, on the one hand seems like a weird thing to do a prequel series on and a origin story to. On the other, it's one of the few IP they have that they can spin a horror series out of and get guaranteed eyes on screen. So while it doesn't excite me, from a purely corporate standpoint it makes sense. Here's hoping it's good then.

I hope it starts with that turtle vomiting up Pennywise like in the book.

Astonishing Member

It's not surprising they'd announce something like this but I was more shocked to learn a new Firestarter movie is right around the corner with Zac Efron as the dad, my Stephen King priority right now is hoping that doesn't suck.

Incredible Member

They really botched the part 2 movie. I don't know how they think this is a franchise ripe for expansion already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    They really botched the part 2 movie. I don't know how they think this is a franchise ripe for expansion already.
    Part 2 did almost 500 million although it didt do as good as the first and wasn't as good in general it still did very well so I wouldn't call that a botch myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    A prequel seems like a dead end to me... we literally know that none of the protagonists they might introduce will likely survive as Pennywise's first defeat is at the hands of the losers.
    Pennywise's first defeat is at the hands of the losers? Whan did they say that? I know that's not true in the book at lest the god turtle beat it before.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They don't need to defeat Pennywise, they just need to not die. Or they can all die since it's Pennywise's story anyway. Either way, it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 04-06-2022 at 04:06 AM.

I liked the the Part 1 movie but found the Part 2 overlong and meandering. I don't care about a prequel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    IT Prequel Show Reportedly In The Works About Pennywise Origin Story on HBO MAX this has a lot of potential I wonder if it's connected to the movies or it's own thing?

https://screenrant.com/it-prequel-sh...story-hbo-max/

Yea the prequel show is set within the recent movies universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Pennywise's first defeat is at the hands of the losers? Whan did they say that? I know that's not true in the book at lest the god turtle beat it before.
    The losers are the first humans to defeat Pennywise (their first forced him to retreat into hibernation before it was scheduled to occur and the second killed him entirely). Although you are correct Maturin did defeat him before at some point. Pennywise pretty much showed up, did his thing, then was back in hibernation before anyone was wise to it or could act.

The thing with IT is that Derry's history is littered with numerous events that could form the basis of this show. My hope is they focus on the Kitchener Ironwork explosion that happened during Easter Sunday. That or the founding of the town whereby 340 people just vanished without a trace.