Page 3 of 286 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It seems that they went out of their way to push that she's a girl...okay we get it, and it was a bit odd that they kept saying that Superman was like the world's only other hero, what about the rest of the Justice League and such, and with the whole girl thing...what does Wonder Woman and others not exist...wonder how they'd handle Power Girl...hope they wouldn't change to much given that aside from her powers and such she's known for one...I mean two...big things...
    One of the primary themes of the show is the "femaleness" of the hero, and being a powerful woman in a man's world. It makes sense they would drive that point home in the first episode.

There is no "rest of the Justice League" at this point. There is Superman and, presumably, memories of Batman - who is not super-powered. Wonder Woman and everyone else has not yet appeared to the world.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It seems that they went out of their way to push that she's a girl...okay we get it, and it was a bit odd that they kept saying that Superman was like the world's only other hero, what about the rest of the Justice League and such, and with the whole girl thing...what does Wonder Woman and others not exist...wonder how they'd handle Power Girl...hope they wouldn't change to much given that aside from her powers and such she's known for one...I mean two...big things...
    TV comic book shows by DC are unlinked to the movies, as I understand it. I'm not sure that Supergirl is even linked to the Arrow-verse, though it may be.

Sandy Hausler

Wasn't Vartox a good guy in the comics? Or at least not a villain?

Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member

There's nothing wrong with shows not being linked. It's not like Lois and Clark needed to have Wonder Woman or Batman exist or TDK trilogy needed to have Superman exist. The one time the Batman movies acknowledged that there was a Superman it didn't go over very well.

I have a ton of problems with this show and will not be watching it after this, but the lack of Wonder Woman and other JL characters is not one of them.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    TV comic book shows by DC are unlinked to the movies, as I understand it. I'm not sure that Supergirl is even linked to the Arrow-verse, though it may be.

Sandy Hausler
    I think they'll leave the possibility open for future seasons.

As it is now, I got a heavy Donner Superman vibe. Not the same universe, obviously, but that seems like the biggest influence. And you even have the EPs saying that one thing about the show is going to function as a quasi-prequel to Superman II.

I really enjoyed it. Might have liked it a bit more if the trailer hadn't already hit all the high points. I was already prepared for some of the more emotional moments going in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Wasn't Vartox a good guy in the comics? Or at least not a villain?

Sandy Hausler
    I only remember him in two comics from 1999, where he was a good guy who was being blackmailed into helping Braniac kill Superman. Maybe he became a full-fledged villain since then, but at that point he was a hero put in an impossible situation.

Fantastic Member

I'm still watching the pilot, and enjoy it well enough- not as much as The Flash or Arrow- but it's sufficient. I do feel there are some problems. Kara's friend assuming she was a lesbian was too easy and obvious a joke and should have just been avoided; while Superman having saved a plane first too seems to be trying to hit home the "She's a female Superman" aspect too hard. It's pretty easy to figure that out, and she's already been shown in promotional images to wear a suit just like his. I am intrigued by the conspiracy being hinted at with Vartox. I'm disappointed that Kara and her sister have differing opinions; I liked the bit of their relationship we saw when she came to help Kara pick out a dress. I wish she was supportive, rather than against it.

Melissa Benoist did impress me; I didn't think much of her when she was on Glee, but now it appears to have been more about her lackluster role than her acting. The pilot felt like it had too much going on and should have slowed down. I think the DEO subplot could have conceivably been cut out and saved for the next episode and it would have felt stronger overall.

The use of a sexist villain, "The women on my planet bow to the men" was also way too on the nose for my liking.
    Last edited by Zorkel567; 10-27-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There's nothing wrong with shows not being linked. It's not like Lois and Clark needed to have Wonder Woman or Batman exist or TDK trilogy needed to have Superman exist. The one time the Batman movies acknowledged that there was a Superman it didn't go over very well.

I have a ton of problems with this show and will not be watching it after this, but the lack of Wonder Woman and other JL characters is not one of them.
    What problems? If I may ask...

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I only remember him in two comics from 1999, where he was a good guy who was being blackmailed into helping Braniac kill Superman. Maybe he became a full-fledged villain since then, but at that point he was a hero put in an impossible situation.
    Checked Wiki, and he was created in 1974 and was a "friend and equal of Superman." Surprising that they used him as a villain, but it's not a big thing for me.

Sandy Hausler

This wasn't very good, hopefully it was just because they had a lot to set up and get the audience up to speed with and once they get going it will get better, I'll continue to watch for now but it better find it's feet soon because I imagine a lot of people won't be as willing to give it time.

The suit isn't great and I hate the S and once again no S on the cape (drives me crazy the cape needs an S).

I have a feeling a question the audience is going to asking over and over is why doesn't Superman help out, especially if they do a world is in danger and everyone second counts story.

I hope this gets better.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Danvers/Matrix Rules View Post
    This wasn't very good, hopefully it was just because they had a lot to set up and get the audience up to speed with and once they get going it will get better, I'll continue to watch for now but it better find it's feet soon because I imagine a lot of people won't be as willing to give it time.

The suit isn't great and I hate the S and once again no S on the cape (drives me crazy the cape needs an S).

I have a feeling a question the audience is going to asking over and over is why doesn't Superman help out, especially if they do a world is in danger and everyone second counts story.

I hope this gets better.
    Supposedly they're going to address why Superman doesn't ever show up in an upcoming episode.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    What problems? If I may ask...
    The making Kara even more into Clark-lite than she ever was in the comics (and at times that was a huge problem pre-crisis) is the biggest one. I wanted to see Supergirl, not a female version of Clark.

While I think going for a lighter tone is good, I think it could have been done without the Devil Wears Prada approach.

It was all plot, with barely any character, and the plot itself was formulaic and boring.

Lastly, I feel like half the cast has a bad case of the idiot ball, including the title character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Danvers/Matrix Rules View Post

I hope this gets better.
    Rather than watch it any more I'm just writing my own version of how I think a Supergirl tv show should go, which is pretty much adapting the PAD series about Linda/Matrix. I can PM you the link to my fic if you think that's more to your taste.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I really loved the pilot episode. It was really great. I liked how Kara accidentally dragged the Phantom Zone prisoners with her in a partly similar way that Clark Kent did in Smallville.
    However one of the two things I hated was Cat Grant being a bitch and the poorly casted Jimmy Olsen. I mean honestly, Jimmy is a scrawny geeky kid and he was casted as a big buff dude. I haven't seen that poorly casted since the recent Fantastic Four movie. Back to the pros, I liked this Valtrox version way better then the comic book version. I also liked how Supergirl build up into her own hero when she started off saving a plane full of people, to her fumbling by going after a speeding car of thugs. I also enjoyed the plot twist of her sister working for the government and her aunt being the main antagonist of the season.

I give the pilot 4 stars out of 5.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Kara is likeable enough, and I like that they set up the DEO and Fort Rozz as the major obstacles Supergirl has to overcome, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that Superman wouldn't show up during any of this. It makes sense that he'd send Jimmy to keep an eye on Kara for when she is ready to become Supergirl rather than Superman to be present and force the choice on her, but once she does become Supergirl, shouldn't he be there to train her to effectively use her powers? Or at the very least offer words of encouragement?
    I think part of the idea behind Superman giving Kara to the Danvers', beyond taking care of her, giving her a home and family environment that he thought she needed, was that since they helped him with his powers they could help Kara train to use her abilities.

She's probably just rusty with them or not as skilled as Clark is because she apparently hadn't used them in a really long time aside from menial tasks like using her Super-Hearing to get ready for Cat showing up in the office.