Page 252 of 252 FirstFirst ... 152202242248249250251252
Results 3,766 to 3,778 of 3778
  1. #3766
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Wouldn't the VP become President?
    Yes, but have we seen the VP? I don't remember.

    Wait, it was Brent Spiner as VP Baker, but now it's Bruce Boxleitner.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  2. #3767
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    5,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yes, but have we seen the VP? I don't remember.

    Wait, it was Brent Spiner as VP Baker, but now it's Bruce Boxleitner.
    And Boxleitner has experience as a fictional President.

  3. #3768
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    I quit watching Supergirl about halfway through last season. It just saddened me so, so much to see the character treated so monumentally badly. When she wasn't being a damsel in distress, she was essentially being reduced to the role of a passive supporting character in what was supposed to her own show. I read recaps of the remaining episodes, in the hope I would see something that turned the tide, but instead we just got more and more of the same, culminating in a finale where Kara was, to all intents and purposes, little more than a plot device.

    With that in mind, I wasn't gonna bother with season 4. Assuming the writing team is the same this year, I had absolutely no reason to assume things would change and they'd start writing the character as... well, as an actual hero. But morbid curiosity and a faint tiny hope that things might have improved persuaded me to check it out. And hey. It's still business as usual.

    Aside from a few token heroic acts at the opening of the episode, Kara is once again a character with next to no agency. Jonn realises the link between the crimes before she does, Brainy has to help her out of the cuffs (because honestly, heaven forbid this show ever showed Supergirl saving herself!!!) and then at the end, she couldn't catch up with two people on motorbikes.

    Supergirl. Could not fly faster. Than motorbikes.

    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

    "Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

  4. #3769
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I wonder what it will take to get J'onn to abandon the way of peace and get his green rage on?
    Next time Supergirl needs saving. So I'd give it a week.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

    "Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

  5. #3770
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    So J'onn lays his sword down and Jimmy will be arrested on site if he appears as Guardian. Way to go to write these two out of the action. But I can see the dumb subplot forming now with Jimmy being mad at Lana for helping him when he finds out. "I wanted to handle this myself! You should of just let me go to jail!"Ugh...

    Only on a T.V show would the news reveal the President is an alien lol. An entertaining episode nonetheless hoping I'm wrong about J'onn and Jimmy. Eager to see how how the doppleganger SG is gonna play out.

  6. #3771
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So J'onn lays his sword down and Jimmy will be arrested on site if he appears as Guardian. Way to go to write these two out of the action. But I can see the dumb subplot forming now with Jimmy being mad at Lana for helping him when he finds out. "I wanted to handle this myself! You should of just let me go to jail!"Ugh...

    Only on a T.V show would the news reveal the President is an alien lol. An entertaining episode nonetheless hoping I'm wrong about J'onn and Jimmy. Eager to see how how the doppleganger SG is gonna play out.
    Supposedly the reason they fill all these shows that start out as solo superhero shows is because it's exhausting for the lead title character, which is completely understandable. It seems as if they're pulling back from that a little bit on both Supergirl and Arrow, though, which is intriguing. Admittedly, I do tune in for the CW superhero shows for the lead more than any other reason.

    That said, if Daredevil has proven anything, it's that you don't have to put your entire supporting cast in spandex to make them worth the air time.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  7. #3772
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Supposedly the reason they fill all these shows that start out as solo superhero shows is because it's exhausting for the lead title character, which is completely understandable. It seems as if they're pulling back from that a little bit on both Supergirl and Arrow, though, which is intriguing. Admittedly, I do tune in for the CW superhero shows for the lead more than any other reason.

    That said, if Daredevil has proven anything, it's that you don't have to put your entire supporting cast in spandex to make them worth the air time.
    I'm thinking they're benching Jimmy and J'onn to make more time for the Legion characters. Kinda sucks to me as J'onn and Jim are a more interesting than anybody from the LOS so far imo. But only time will tell.

  8. #3773
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I quit watching Supergirl about halfway through last season. It just saddened me so, so much to see the character treated so monumentally badly. When she wasn't being a damsel in distress, she was essentially being reduced to the role of a passive supporting character in what was supposed to her own show. I read recaps of the remaining episodes, in the hope I would see something that turned the tide, but instead we just got more and more of the same, culminating in a finale where Kara was, to all intents and purposes, little more than a plot device.

    With that in mind, I wasn't gonna bother with season 4. Assuming the writing team is the same this year, I had absolutely no reason to assume things would change and they'd start writing the character as... well, as an actual hero. But morbid curiosity and a faint tiny hope that things might have improved persuaded me to check it out. And hey. It's still business as usual.

    Aside from a few token heroic acts at the opening of the episode, Kara is once again a character with next to no agency. Jonn realises the link between the crimes before she does, Brainy has to help her out of the cuffs (because honestly, heaven forbid this show ever showed Supergirl saving herself!!!) and then at the end, she couldn't catch up with two people on motorbikes.

    Supergirl. Could not fly faster. Than motorbikes.

    I really want to refute everything you've said- but I can't. I went with the cuffs at first- I thought they were Red Sun cuffs that would cut off her powers. Instead, they were gravity cuffs? Which in and of itself makes no sense why it would work on Kara considering she defies gravity every time she lifts off. And she couldn't break them? They couldn't have at least thrown in that they were made of prometheum or something?

    And the motorcycle chase annoyed the crap out of me. Kara has kept pace with Barry, for Christs' sake. She should have easily been able to run down the pair of them. But this is the kind of crap we have to put up with because the writers aren't clever enough to think of logical ways the Graves' could have outrun Kara.

    The one thing I didn't mind was J'onn putting it together before Kara. Kara is an idealist, and with all she had done, all she saw was the positive side of things. Like J'onn said, she can pass for human- and she really doesn't interact with aliens that can't pass for human on a regular basis. So it would be easy for her to miss the hatred that is bubbling beneath the surface.

  9. #3774
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I'm thinking they're benching Jimmy and J'onn to make more time for the Legion characters. Kinda sucks to me as J'onn and Jim are a more interesting than anybody from the LOS so far imo. But only time will tell.
    What other Legion characters? The only one left is Brainy; the others went back to the future. And Brainy is taking the time that would have been used on Winn.

  10. #3775
    Mighty Member adkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Brainy has to help her out of the cuffs (because honestly, heaven forbid this show ever showed Supergirl saving herself!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I really want to refute everything you've said- but I can't. I went with the cuffs at first- I thought they were Red Sun cuffs that would cut off her powers. Instead, they were gravity cuffs? Which in and of itself makes no sense why it would work on Kara considering she defies gravity every time she lifts off. And she couldn't break them? They couldn't have at least thrown in that they were made of prometheum or something?
    I think it was more the initial spike in a gravitational pull that caught her by surprise - she probably would have been able to fly, eventually. However, gravity has been used against Superman on numerous occasions (including over in Superman Adventures) and there was a time when it was used as a specific weakness (they excused it with 'Krypton had high gravity so a high-gravity planet should negate his flying ability') but that was later cast aside.

    I agree, though, that throwing in that it was made of some super-alloy would have it make more sense re her struggling to break them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    and then at the end, she couldn't catch up with two people on motorbikes.

    Supergirl. Could not fly faster. Than motorbikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And the motorcycle chase annoyed the crap out of me. Kara has kept pace with Barry, for Christs' sake. She should have easily been able to run down the pair of them. But this is the kind of crap we have to put up with because the writers aren't clever enough to think of logical ways the Graves' could have outrun Kara.
    Yeah, that sequence of events made no sense, considering all her previous speed-feats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Jonn realises the link between the crimes before she does
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The one thing I didn't mind was J'onn putting it together before Kara. Kara is an idealist, and with all she had done, all she saw was the positive side of things. Like J'onn said, she can pass for human- and she really doesn't interact with aliens that can't pass for human on a regular basis. So it would be easy for her to miss the hatred that is bubbling beneath the surface.
    I can see her not accepting the possibility, initially, for about two minutes, but the fact they took both spikes and that using them in the scanner made no sense should have snapped her out of such dismissiveness. They showed us the entry scanner - they shoved the spike in there... (from what I recall, that poor guy would have to contort himself every time he wanted access to that room). Sure, he might not have fingerprints, but there are other biometric options that could be used.

    Her not seeing the hatred is understandable, but also naive - but at least they seem to addressing her privilege in this regard.

  11. #3776
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    What other Legion characters? The only one left is Brainy; the others went back to the future. And Brainy is taking the time that would have been used on Winn.
    Okay then I guess other chars like Manchester Black and so and so.

  12. #3777
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,712

    Default

    Lex Luthor will finally make his present-day debut on Supergirl.

    He is set to have a recurring role this season.

    "We're beyond excited to introduce iconic villain, Lex Luthor, to Supergirl and to weave him into our story this season," said Rovner and Queller in a joint statement (via The Hollywood Reporter). "We’ve talked about having Lex on the show since its inception and we’re excited to have him finally arrive. We can’t wait for him to shake things up in National City and watch him go toe to toe with not only Supergirl, but his sister Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath)."

  13. #3778
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lex Luthor will finally make his present-day debut on Supergirl.

    He is set to have a recurring role this season.
    Outstanding. Supergirl is already the best superhero show on TV and this can't hurt. They should get Ian Butler to play Lex. He played Lionel in the flashback of the “Luthors” episode,
    and he is very handsome. I think part of Lex’s charisma should be he is handsome. And people could comment that Lex looks just like his father.
    I guess with WB and Henry Cavill parting ways and no plans for a Man of Steel 2 this frees up the Superman characters to be on Supergirl.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •