Page 2 of 374 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am not sure yet. It was so cheesy in some places especially the stuff between the sisters and the whole "Henshaw hates them filthy aliens" angle. The effects were pretty good and Benoit is pretty good as Supergirl, but there are just so many plot holes in the writing. I mean you are saying that a whole Phantom Zone prison crashed on Earth and that is not Superman's top priority? Or that he just left Kara's ship lying around for the DEO to find? You can not use Superman as such a central figure in your shows mythology and then just ignore common sense things to explain away glaring plot holes.

I will give it another episode or two to see how it plays out, but am on the fence right now.
    It all fits together too nicely. Her sister works for a secret organization that protects humanity from aliens? And the prison of aliens that she brought to earth have been quiet for a decade until she goes public? I'm sorry i missed Gotham for this. (Did watch Gotham this morning, though.)

And damn it, his name is Jimmy!

Sandy Hausler

Spectacular Member

It was a lot of fun, a nice mixture of comic-bookiness, danger, and action.

They just need to tighten up on the mythos a bit, but other than that I think it'll be a great addition to the DCTV-verse

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I don't like the casting of Hank Henshaw. Cyborg Superman is one of my favorite villains but I think casting David Harewood was a mistake. If he becomes a cyborg casual fans may get him confused with Vic Stone. Can already hear people asking "is he supposed to be Cyborg from the Teen Titans?" Something WB/DC probably doesn't want so close to the character's big screen debut.
    I'm guessing if we do get a Cyborg Superman it'll be based on the New 52 version that's not Hank Henshaw and is instead Kara's father.

That at least could be an emotional story line if they ever get to that point.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 10-27-2015 at 06:14 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I enjoyed it. But most of the content was from the trailer so if you enjoyed the trailer then you enjoyed this episode, hence I would like to see if they can keep this up for episodes 2 and 3.

I saw a complaint about Kara's fighting skills. Well, of course she's a crap fighter, so is her cousin. I wonder why?

I saw a complaint about Henshaw's character but the comic book mythos always has a character like this. Marvel has J.J.Jameson for example.

The producers should not be afraid to invent new villains; it can't all be B-C-list Superman foes who will never make it to the films. There should also be natural disasters and other crisis events, without a clear cut bad guy. An earthquake, a flood, a fire, etc. Have the climax involve the rescue of people as opposed to a bad guy battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The producers should not be afraid to invent new villains; it can't all be B-C-list Superman foes who will never make it to the films. There should also be natural disasters and other crisis events, without a clear cut bad guy. An earthquake, a flood, a fire, etc. Have the climax involve the rescue of people as opposed to a bad guy battle.
    I like this idea

Ultimate Member

It seems that they went out of their way to push that she's a girl...okay we get it, and it was a bit odd that they kept saying that Superman was like the world's only other hero, what about the rest of the Justice League and such, and with the whole girl thing...what does Wonder Woman and others not exist...wonder how they'd handle Power Girl...hope they wouldn't change to much given that aside from her powers and such she's known for one...I mean two...big things...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It seems that they went out of their way to push that she's a girl...okay we get it, and it was a bit odd that they kept saying that Superman was like the world's only other hero, what about the rest of the Justice League and such, and with the whole girl thing...what does Wonder Woman and others not exist...wonder how they'd handle Power Girl...hope they wouldn't change to much given that aside from her powers and such she's known for one...I mean two...big things...
    One of the primary themes of the show is the "femaleness" of the hero, and being a powerful woman in a man's world. It makes sense they would drive that point home in the first episode.

There is no "rest of the Justice League" at this point. There is Superman and, presumably, memories of Batman - who is not super-powered. Wonder Woman and everyone else has not yet appeared to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    TV comic book shows by DC are unlinked to the movies, as I understand it. I'm not sure that Supergirl is even linked to the Arrow-verse, though it may be.

Sandy Hausler

Wasn't Vartox a good guy in the comics? Or at least not a villain?

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member

There's nothing wrong with shows not being linked. It's not like Lois and Clark needed to have Wonder Woman or Batman exist or TDK trilogy needed to have Superman exist. The one time the Batman movies acknowledged that there was a Superman it didn't go over very well.

I have a ton of problems with this show and will not be watching it after this, but the lack of Wonder Woman and other JL characters is not one of them.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    TV comic book shows by DC are unlinked to the movies, as I understand it. I'm not sure that Supergirl is even linked to the Arrow-verse, though it may be.

Sandy Hausler
    I think they'll leave the possibility open for future seasons.

As it is now, I got a heavy Donner Superman vibe. Not the same universe, obviously, but that seems like the biggest influence. And you even have the EPs saying that one thing about the show is going to function as a quasi-prequel to Superman II.

I really enjoyed it. Might have liked it a bit more if the trailer hadn't already hit all the high points. I was already prepared for some of the more emotional moments going in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Wasn't Vartox a good guy in the comics? Or at least not a villain?

Sandy Hausler
    I only remember him in two comics from 1999, where he was a good guy who was being blackmailed into helping Braniac kill Superman. Maybe he became a full-fledged villain since then, but at that point he was a hero put in an impossible situation.

Incredible Member

I'm still watching the pilot, and enjoy it well enough- not as much as The Flash or Arrow- but it's sufficient. I do feel there are some problems. Kara's friend assuming she was a lesbian was too easy and obvious a joke and should have just been avoided; while Superman having saved a plane first too seems to be trying to hit home the "She's a female Superman" aspect too hard. It's pretty easy to figure that out, and she's already been shown in promotional images to wear a suit just like his. I am intrigued by the conspiracy being hinted at with Vartox. I'm disappointed that Kara and her sister have differing opinions; I liked the bit of their relationship we saw when she came to help Kara pick out a dress. I wish she was supportive, rather than against it.

Melissa Benoist did impress me; I didn't think much of her when she was on Glee, but now it appears to have been more about her lackluster role than her acting. The pilot felt like it had too much going on and should have slowed down. I think the DEO subplot could have conceivably been cut out and saved for the next episode and it would have felt stronger overall.

The use of a sexist villain, "The women on my planet bow to the men" was also way too on the nose for my liking.
    Last edited by Zorkel567; 10-27-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There's nothing wrong with shows not being linked. It's not like Lois and Clark needed to have Wonder Woman or Batman exist or TDK trilogy needed to have Superman exist. The one time the Batman movies acknowledged that there was a Superman it didn't go over very well.

I have a ton of problems with this show and will not be watching it after this, but the lack of Wonder Woman and other JL characters is not one of them.
    What problems? If I may ask...