Page 236 of 249 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 3730
  1. #3526
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    While I don't normally expect Superman to show up, if there was ever a perfect time to bring him into the show, it would be the season finale, when all bets are off, there's no next episode that has to address the subject and the series needs a lot of star power to bring things to a close.

    So much is happening, there's enough for Superman to do (like flying into the Earth's core) that it doesn't take the spotlight away from Supergirl. Even if they couldn't get Tyler Hoechlin back for one episode--all they really need is a CGI stuntman to appear in a scene or two, to establish that Superman is active in this world-threatening situation.
    sorry🍁

  2. #3527
    Pro Mutant Anarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    They better not kill off Sam.

    Also, poor Coville.

  3. #3528
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I can't help but wonder how many explanations of "Clark is in space..." "Clark is tackling a giant robot in Japan..." "Clark is kicking back and taking the day off..." explanations it would take before people started complaining that Clark is never around.

    Then there would also be the inevitable complaints of "How come Kara never gets to do the cool stuff like fly off into space or fight giant robots in Japan?"

    It's a show about Supergirl. The worst thing they did was introduce Superman into the continuity at all. The only thing it accomplished was to make a few people want the show to be about Superman. The show is about Supergirl tackling the super-crises, and it's about Supergirl having the emotional responses to finding a city from Krypton. Stop trying to force Superman into a story in which his only purpose would be to take focus away from who the story is about.
    Why I agree with you in theory, if Superman is on the same planet, he should be on hand for the major crises. If he's not, then don't make the crises world-wide, but confine them to National City*.

    *BTW, when does the name change to National Periodical Publications City?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  4. #3529
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I can't help but wonder how many explanations of "Clark is in space..." "Clark is tackling a giant robot in Japan..." "Clark is kicking back and taking the day off..." explanations it would take before people started complaining that Clark is never around.

    Then there would also be the inevitable complaints of "How come Kara never gets to do the cool stuff like fly off into space or fight giant robots in Japan?"

    It's a show about Supergirl. The worst thing they did was introduce Superman into the continuity at all. The only thing it accomplished was to make a few people want the show to be about Superman. The show is about Supergirl tackling the super-crises, and it's about Supergirl having the emotional responses to finding a city from Krypton. Stop trying to force Superman into a story in which his only purpose would be to take focus away from who the story is about.
    It's a no win scenario.

    In season one, everyone complained that when Superman showed up, it was a CGI blur or shown from a distance or just showing his boots as he lay unconscious on a table. It got to be ridiculous. So they finally cast him in Season 2, and used him pretty well IMO. But now in Season 3 he's MIA, and people are complaining that he ISN'T showing up.

    For the record, the perfect time for him to show up this season (other than when is cousin was in a coma) was for the trip to Argo City. That's what annoys me the most. You can't get a better set up than that to show Clark his people, but because this is all so rushed, it wouldn't have any real impact. Maybe we'll see that in Season 4.

  5. #3530
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    For the record, the perfect time for him to show up this season (other than when is cousin was in a coma) was for the trip to Argo City. That's what annoys me the most. You can't get a better set up than that to show Clark his people, but because this is all so rushed, it wouldn't have any real impact. Maybe we'll see that in Season 4.
    Totally agree. You could have had Clark go to Argo City with Kara and Mon-El, but for one reason or the other doesn't make it back to Earth with them. That way, you have a legitimate reason to keep Superman out of the battle.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  6. #3531
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It's a no win scenario.

    In season one, everyone complained that when Superman showed up, it was a CGI blur or shown from a distance or just showing his boots as he lay unconscious on a table. It got to be ridiculous. So they finally cast him in Season 2, and used him pretty well IMO. But now in Season 3 he's MIA, and people are complaining that he ISN'T showing up.

    For the record, the perfect time for him to show up this season (other than when is cousin was in a coma) was for the trip to Argo City. That's what annoys me the most. You can't get a better set up than that to show Clark his people, but because this is all so rushed, it wouldn't have any real impact. Maybe we'll see that in Season 4.
    I think they made a huge mistake introducing him at all. The entire motivation for Kara Being sent to earth at all was misplaced in a show that is decidedly not about Superman. He shouldn't exist in this continuity.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  7. #3532
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think they made a huge mistake introducing him at all. The entire motivation for Kara Being sent to earth at all was misplaced in a show that is decidedly not about Superman. He shouldn't exist in this continuity.
    But it's part of her backstory. It's always been part of her backstory that she was sent to Earth to protect Clark, but for one reason or another her pod was knocked off course and arrived 30+ years later. Unless they were adapting the whole Linda Danvers version of Supergirl, fans of the character would be upset if that was changed. (And yes, I know they changed it somewhat by giving her a sister, but the core origin of her character is still there).


    Or... I suppose they could have adapted 'Being Super', and just cut out the last part with her seeking out Superman.

  8. #3533
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,928

    Default

    I don't see anything wrong about a show focusing on Superman's cousin, and using his mythos and characters to such a degree, acknowledging Superman's presence...but I do think the show has dropped the ball with not addressing where he's been in such a Kryptonian-centered plot.

  9. #3534
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    BUnless they were adapting the whole Linda Danvers version of Supergirl, fans of the character would be upset if that was changed.
    So what? It's not as if there are enough of them to matter.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  10. #3535
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Hey, the main reason I want Superman to show up on SUPERGIRL is because I really enjoyed seeing Tyler Hoechlin in the role. Any chance to have Tyler back gets me excited because I enjoy the guy's work. Even if he's just standing around as Clark Kent that's something I want to see. And the Jimmy Olsen character could probably use that interaction to improve his part in the show.

    It's the same reason I want to see Jay Garrick on THE FLASH--for John Wesley Shipp's acting--or Tommy Merlyn on ARROW--for Colin Donnell's (damn that bait and switch).

    Too bad Van-Zee didn't show up alive and well in Argo City (and if you need an explanation for how that relates to the above, I'll be happy to give it).

    Y'know, if they were going to bring back Argo City eventually, I would have just rather had something like Supergirl's original origin instead of her pod being knocked off course and stuck in a temporal blind spot for an undisclosed period of time. It's a lot simpler just to have her come directly from the surviving planetoid of Argo City to Earth.
    sorry🍁

  11. #3536
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,107

    Default

    I prefer the TV show follow the Supergirl comic books in regards to Supergirl vs Reign and the Worldkillers. In the comic books Supergirl took on all four Worldkillers in the heart of New York City
    in a long, lengthy, loud battle. And no Superman anywhere in sight or even mentioned. And they didn't even have the rights issues to the character to contend with it the comic books.
    They could have inked in Superman when ever they wanted to. Unlike the restrictions Warner Bros. places on the movie characters. It's nice when a TV show is comic book accurate.

  12. #3537
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I prefer the TV show follow the Supergirl comic books in regards to Supergirl vs Reign and the Worldkillers. In the comic books Supergirl took on all four Worldkillers in the heart of New York City
    in a long, lengthy, loud battle. And no Superman anywhere in sight or even mentioned. And they didn't even have the rights issues to the character to contend with it the comic books.
    They could have inked in Superman when ever they wanted to. Unlike the restrictions Warner Bros. places on the movie characters. It's nice when a TV show is comic book accurate.
    For all we know there might actually be a Superman embargo because of Justice League, like what happened with Deathstroke on Arrow.

  13. #3538
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    I think it's more likely that everyone at W.B. is in a state of paralysis as they wait for what will happen with the A.T. & T. deal.
    sorry🍁

  14. #3539
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think it's more likely that everyone at W.B. is in a state of paralysis as they wait for what will happen with the A.T. & T. deal.
    Now that the Justice Department has lost its suit blocking the merger and a federal judge has approved the deal we should see a lot more definite plans out of WB. Probably wasn't going to affect Supergirl and the other CW shows
    one way or the other, but the movies probably won't be in as much turmoil.

  15. #3540
    Incredible Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    961

    Default

    So Alura ships Karamel...I don't particularly like that.

    That poor DEO agent. At least he went out fighting. I'll be upset if they never use that personal force-field technology again. I have the feeling it'll be conveniently forgotten about in the future (Winn's given it to himself, the next two people he'd give it to are James and Alex).

    Hey Ruby is a smart kid. Brave too. I hope they're able to make Sam stronger so Reign gets weaker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Do you think where this season has ended up is where it was supposed to go or was there a different plan?
    I can't believe they'd tease us with two other Legionnaires (one confirmed to be Chameleon Boy) in those pods just to never have them appear. I think they were going to play a bigger role, maybe even stick around until the finale. Plus I feel like they may've changed things up with Coville, he seems to have turned on Kara too easily. Is he dead, though? Weird how that heat vision blew him back rather than incinerated him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    So out of a hat, a Martian can shape shift and hold an entire planet together? That's a new one.
    Is it? I seem to remember a story (DC One Million, maybe?) where J'onn himself ended up becoming the planet Mars.

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think they made a huge mistake introducing him at all. The entire motivation for Kara Being sent to earth at all was misplaced in a show that is decidedly not about Superman. He shouldn't exist in this continuity.
    Without Superman, though, Lex is no good. And a dud of a Luthor legacy means you don't quite get the impact of Lena this show is going for. I'm fine with the way they've used Superman so far (although the longer Argo becomes a thing, the more they are going to have to at least mention Superman).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •