Page 355 of 374 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Am I the only one that immediately thought "Witches of Eastwick" when they were doing the Lena subplot?
    I thought of "Practical Magic", fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although it probably would have succeeded by comparison. It's just they never brought up why he couldn't do it.
    They squeezed in a line that Dreamer could do a better job portraying Myx's personality, then (from off-screen) J'onn says, "Better you than me." No, it makes no sense - it was a lame excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    They squeezed in a line that Dreamer could do a better job portraying Myx's personality, then (from off-screen) J'onn says, "Better you than me." No, it makes no sense - it was a lame excuse.
    Yes, because a trained mimic and telepath could somehow not pull it off...ah well, plot's gotta plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yes, because a trained mimic and telepath could somehow not pull it off...ah well, plot's gotta plot.
    J'onn was holding the stupid ball for a few minutes.

I for the most part liked this episode over the last two. The previews for next week and I'll probably be doing some fast forwarding again.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Well, that was a wee bit heavy handed. Just a tad.
    Was the Councilwoman named Karen?
    Good seeing Diggle.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Well, that was a wee bit heavy handed. Just a tad.
    Was the Councilwoman named Karen?
    Good seeing Diggle.
    It's the CW, they don't really understand "subtle" or "nuance".

It was good to see Diggle, but damn I'd like them to stop teasing things like "worlds await" and just show him as a GL already!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's the CW, they don't really understand "subtle" or "nuance".

It was good to see Diggle, but damn I'd like them to stop teasing things like "worlds await" and just show him as a GL already!
    Oh, thanks I couldn't tell what John Stewart...ah Diggle said.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

So no real resolution with Diggle. Ramsey has said he'd be back, so maybe next season on The Flash... but probably not.

This is what happens when you tease something you'll never be able to do just as a show ends, but still bring the character back in other shows after that.

So Kelly was all angry for the Superfriends not helping out in the neighborhood, because they were too busy.... trying to find a 5th dimensional Imp that wants to destroy the world. Yeah. Obviously their priorities were skewed.

Mighty Member

Diggle gives great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh, thanks I couldn't tell what John Stewart...ah Diggle said.
    Weirdly it was the only time in the whole episode where I knew what he said - there was (yet another) summer storm in my area messing up the reception, so most of the episode was blinking in and out nonstop. Enough for me to understand what was going on, but frustrating for the talky bits. Cleared up just in time for the last battle and send off. Helps I was looking out for any GL hints he might drop, so when he said that line I picked up on it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

So Kelly is an updated Green Arrow chastising the Super Friends instead of Green Lantern this time?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

It was frankly a ridiculous episode.

Everything was filled with heavy handed speeches.
    Lots and lots of speeches.
    As someone who cares about economic inequalities in healthcare,
    the importance of affordable housing, racism in American life it was embarrassing. If you
    can't deal honestly with the difficulties of these issues don't try.

Councilwoman Rankin has been the heavy for a while, so that didn't bother me.
    But she came across as Snidely Whiplash. They used Kara very poorly in this episode.
    Why is Supergirl standing there watching people dig through rubble so she can listen to long speeches?

They even had Brainy telling us after a thousand years that things really weren't any better.
    The pre-Bendis LSH at least gave us the hope that eventually racism, poverty, a host of problems
    were sort of solved.

After a while I was just howling at the dialogue. I get that they were trying to step out of a
    superhero show motif, but it just came across poorly. The clincher at the end was Alex and Kelly
    having another moment together that didn't feel like a real relationship. It was just another
    opportunity for a speech, along with product placement for Coates' book (which is excellent and thoughtful)
    to White Fragility (which is not).

It left me honestly feeling frustrated. This show can be so much better than this. But maybe this is all
    we are going to get with the final season.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    It was frankly a ridiculous episode.

Everything was filled with heavy handed speeches.
    Lots and lots of speeches.
    As someone who cares about economic inequalities in healthcare,
    the importance of affordable housing, racism in American life it was embarrassing. If you
    can't deal honestly with the difficulties of these issues don't try.

Councilwoman Rankin has been the heavy for a while, so that didn't bother me.
    But she came across as Snidely Whiplash. They used Kara very poorly in this episode.
    Why is Supergirl standing there watching people dig through rubble so she can listen to long speeches?

They even had Brainy telling us after a thousand years that things really weren't any better.
    The pre-Bendis LSH at least gave us the hope that eventually racism, poverty, a host of problems
    were sort of solved.

After a while I was just howling at the dialogue. I get that they were trying to step out of a
    superhero show motif, but it just came across poorly. The clincher at the end was Alex and Kelly
    having another moment together that didn't feel like a real relationship. It was just another
    opportunity for a speech, along with product placement for Coates' book (which is excellent and thoughtful)
    to White Fragility (which is not).

It left me honestly feeling frustrated. This show can be so much better than this. But maybe this is all
    we are going to get with the final season.
    It was indeed a dreadful episode (my pick for worst of the series). I honestly don't know why I'm still bothering with show myself.

"Aren't you listening me? How dare you do that superheroic stuff you selfish things!" Just putrid.

This comes to mind. It was a pretty heavy thing to do in a mainstream comic in 1970, but that was 50 years ago and as they say, times have changed.

Astonishing Member

If there was social consciousness back in the earlier Silver Age, Pre-COIE Superman would have built at superspeed affordable housing in some empty land for all the poor people.

Today, Supergirl could superspeed out the lead pipes of Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    If there was social consciousness back in the earlier Silver Age, Pre-COIE Superman would have built at superspeed affordable housing in some empty land for all the poor people.

Today, Supergirl could superspeed out the lead pipes of Flint.
    Which is why I keep saying mixing superheroes and politics is extremely problematic. It just doesn't work if you think it out to its logical conclusion.