Page 177 of 374 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 5596

Watching last week's episode. I just FF through all the Alex/Maggie stuff. First time I've ever had an angle just completely spoiled by the behind-the-scenes stuff. I just couldn't care about it.

Mighty Member

Martian Manhunter disguising himself in the form of Supergirl's birth mother seemed a little cruel.

Retired

"Noel Neill" was a fun easter egg.

It was a bit odd having two different girls playing Alex and Kara--especially since Melissa Benoist played a high school teen in GLEE. But the girl playing Alex (Olivia Nikkanen) had a strong resemblance to Chyler Leigh. And after a few minutes I just accepted these girls as Alex and Kara.

I thought this was a solid episode and a nice break from all the stuff going on in National City.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Martian Manhunter disguising himself in the form of Supergirl's birth mother seemed a little cruel.
    I wonder if that’s ever going to be referenced again?

Midvale seems like it was a more affluent Smallville. I mean, Clark was raised on a farm but the Danvers sisters grew up in a big house on top of a hill. I guess being scientists really pays the bills, though it's also possible J'onn had the DEO help out to honor Jeremiah.

We usually think of the Danvers sisters as having this unbreakable and heartwarming bond, so it was definitely interesting seeing them growing up and having a lot more conflict and tension in their relationship. I guess this was the period where Alex got out all her resentment over having to take care of and live with Kara, right down to blaming Kara for losing Jeremiah.

I kind of like the idea that Kara weirded people out because she seemed like a giant Superman fangirl. It makes a lot of sense.

So I guess Superman wore his classic look at some point? That kid referenced the red trunks.

For a second there I thought "Kenny" was going to turn out to be Kenny Braverman. Man, would that have been weird.

I almost kind of wish they'd have made Kenny Dick Malverne. I mean, sure, he'd end up dead but at least he wouldn't be a psychopath bad guy and would be closer to his comic counterpart of being Kara's Midvale love interest.

I wonder who Kara's first kiss ended up being, since it seems like Kenny was the first boy that was ever really interested in her, though for all we know she had crushes on Krypton. I doubt Cat's son was her first kiss. Mon-El might have been her first time though.

The Chloe reference was fun, and I guess that means Clark's childhood was somewhat reminiscent of Smallville (did he and Lex both still grow up there?). Though it was weird to see a reference to Chloe a week after that news about Allison Mack had come out.

It was kind of fun how the Danvers sisters' investigation ultimately foreshadowed their future careers, Kara as an investigative reporter and crime-fighter, Alex as a government agent and crime-fighter.

Heh, "Noel Neil." I was almost half-expecting them to have Durance reprise Lois Lane here. But J'onn using Kara's mother's face to give her some comfort was fitting, if a tad in bad taste .

Kara wanting to live with Clark was pretty sad, but makes sense. He's the only family she has left and he's the only one who could ever really understand what she's going through. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were points where she wondered whether Clark had really just abandoned her to the Danvers family.

It was kind of funny seeing Kara being so gung-ho about becoming a Superhero, even as a teenager, given Supergirl is usually depicted as much younger then she is on this show (aside from the Bronze Age).

All the Smallville references made Kara's big hero moment at the end all the more fitting. I mean, super-speeding through a wall and knocking out the bad guy before he can even see you? That's totally something Smallville Clark would've done .

Well, Alex lost her best friend, but she finally gained her sister, who ended up being her real best friend .

I liked how Kara says screw it and saves Alex anyway even when she was told not to reveal her powers.
    While in "Man of Steel" Clark is told not to use his powers, and he say okay, and lets his dad die.

Retired

I'd ship a Danvers-Lee combo, if Kenny had survived. That would bring things full circle, given that the original version of Supergirl was Linda Lee.

I'm dreading the return of Mon-El, if it means Kara going back to that relationship. However, every boy who has ever liked her either ends up in the dead zone or the friend zone, so Mon-El should be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Midvale seems like it was a more affluent Smallville. I mean, Clark was raised on a farm but the Danvers sisters grew up in a big house on top of a hill.
    I would guess that most of the exteriors were filmed in West Vancouver--whch is on the other side of Burrard Inlet from Vancouver and on the mountainside--not a place where you could have large farms. At the beginning of the episode, as Alex and Maggie drove to their family home, I could see the ferry in the background, so I guessed that they were near Horseshoe Bay, which is quite a scenic area. And West Vancouver is where a lot of the richest people live. The location shots at the school, however, look like they were in the city of Vancouver proper.

By contrast, a lot of SMALLVILLE was filmed to the east of Vancouver in rural areas with many farms. A very different landscape. All the nods to SMALLVILLE in this episode were fun--although the Chloe reference was unfortunate, in the current climate, and gave another level of meta to the content.

Tyler Hoechlin's Clark seems to be an amalgam of all the screen Supermen. He has the back story of the Tom Welling Clark and he had the trunks making him like all the Supermen before Henry Cavill. But now like Cavill he has no trunks.

Ultimate Member

One of my favorite online reviewers actually lives in Kansas (or at least nearby and knows it well). And he has this running gag in his Smallville reviews about how Smallville's "Kansas" looks almost not at all like actual Kansas.

Was this the first episode where we heard Kara say "Great Rao?"

Astonishing Member

Honestly this episode just reminds me of how insufferable Alex is as a character when expanded on most of the time.

It just reminds me of how the first few episodes of the show Alex would harp on Kara for using her powers and trying to put her down and feel bad for "robbing Alex of her joy"/youth. Of course that means despite this flashback that that apparently went on for quite a bit back and forth given they were doing that in the Pilot and after for a while. It doesn't help that for like the first half of the episode Kara had to apparently conveniently forget about her powers when Alex was around so that Alex could seem smart and tell her to use them (which might make sense if it weren't for the fact Kara was already using them on her own actively before that without).

I loved the two teen actresses for Kara and Alex. Really great performance and it was almost uncanny how much they looked like their adult counterparts.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    I loved the two teen actresses for Kara and Alex. Really great performance and it was almost uncanny how much they looked like their adult counterparts.
    Yes, they mirrored their counterparts quite well. Good acting on their parts.

BTW, couldn't have Kara used the bathroom a little bit quicker for Alex's benefit?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Honestly this episode just reminds me of how insufferable Alex is as a character when expanded on most of the time.

It just reminds me of how the first few episodes of the show Alex would harp on Kara for using her powers and trying to put her down and feel bad for "robbing Alex of her joy"/youth. Of course that means despite this flashback that that apparently went on for quite a bit back and forth given they were doing that in the Pilot and after for a while. It doesn't help that for like the first half of the episode Kara had to apparently conveniently forget about her powers when Alex was around so that Alex could seem smart and tell her to use them (which might make sense if it weren't for the fact Kara was already using them on her own actively before that without).
    I was surprised Kara was able to fly so effectively at such an early period in her life, though the show has never really gotten into how she developed and honed her powers.

Astonishing Member

And though I know it's a big cultural sticking point regarding the ages of the student and teacher I was rather amused at how black and white Alex and Kara treated that, or I suppose the show did.

Granted they definitely did the right thing in bringing it up to the authorities but it was odd to see the issue tackled in such a blasee way. Unless I missed something the relationship between the two wasn't even treated as predatory or creepy even though the show simply treated it as such/assumed it to be (though it made a bit more sense to treat it as such if we thought he or she was the killer).

I actually kind of hope to see how that might go if Alex's former friend is brought back in the present as an antagonist of Alex's, given while it's not necessarilly culturally acceptable many real life relationships start out as such and really aren't all that out of the ordinary.

I mean I outright agreed with the girl "In 5 years it won't even matter", which well, is true. Even less than that in this case. Possibly only a few months away depnding on the school year and her exact age.

Makes me wonder if this was one of the friends Alex was referring to in having feelings towards when her coming out arc started. She did say it was one of her childhood friends that she had feelings towards and the ending seemed to set up that Alex wouldn't have a normal friend again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was surprised Kara was able to fly so effectively at such an early period in her life, though the show has never really gotten into how she developed and honed her powers.
    Yeah there's that too. I guess despite a rough start it does help being already grown and conscious instead of an infant in regards to using powers and learning how to use them quicker.