Page 178 of 374 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 5596

Also, screw Mon-El.
    Not happy for his return at all.

Astonishing Member

I actually all but forgot him until the preview at the end. "OH YEAH. Right."

The show's really trying to push that soulmates thing with them without any of the effort or heart to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Also, screw Mon-El.
    Not happy for his return at all.
    At least he's bringing the Legion with him .

(Although I actually like Mon-El. And Chris Wood seems cool).

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    And though I know it's a big cultural sticking point regarding the ages of the student and teacher I was rather amused at how black and white Alex and Kara treated that, or I suppose the show did.

Granted they definitely did the right thing in bringing it up to the authorities but it was odd to see the issue tackled in such a blasee way. Unless I missed something the relationship between the two wasn't even treated as predatory or creepy even though the show simply treated it as such/assumed it to be (though it made a bit more sense to treat it as such if we thought he or she was the killer).

I actually kind of hope to see how that might go if Alex's former friend is brought back in the present as an antagonist of Alex's, given while it's not necessarilly culturally acceptable many real life relationships start out as such and really aren't all that out of the ordinary.

I mean I outright agreed with the girl "In 5 years it won't even matter", which well, is true. Even less than that in this case. Possibly only a few months away depnding on the school year and her exact age.

Makes me wonder if this was one of the friends Alex was referring to in having feelings towards when her coming out arc started. She did say it was one of her childhood friends that she had feelings towards and the ending seemed to set up that Alex wouldn't have a normal friend again.
    It's not the ages it's the situation. If she had met him when he was a dishwasher and she was a waitress it might not have been such a big deal. But the fact that he was her teacher and had authority over her made it an issue.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    It's not the ages it's the situation. If she had met him when he was a dishwasher and she was a waitress it might not have been such a big deal. But the fact that he was her teacher and had authority over her made it an issue.
    And it was said outright that the girl was underage.

Retired

I believe the SUPERGIRL producers should be very careful not to put their actors in situations that could hurt them. I feel this way about Chris Woods, who is not the star, yet he's in a relationship with the star of the show. There's a power imbalance there and it puts him in a vulnerable position if things don't work out either personally or professionally. We already had one actor, Blake Jenner, Benoist's husband, who was dropped from a recurring role on the series after their marriage fell apart.

So put Mon-El in the same friend zone as Win and Jimmy. I like Mike with Eve Teschmacher, frankly--they make a fun pairing. And I'd rather see a Supergirl/Brainiac 5 romance anyway (but we all know Lena is Kara's true soul mate).

I thought that we would see the girl that Alex was attracted to at their high school. Maybe we did and we don't know it yet. It doesn't seem right to throw Alex back into the dating pool so soon, but I know that the show has picked up a following in the gay community and they ought to continue with more gay story lines. Maybe an LGBTQ Legionnaire?

About the teacher and the student. I think there's a rule in law that applies to people in positions of trust. While it might be all right for a 27 year old man to date a 17 year old girl, that doesn't apply if the man is her teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought that we would see the girl that Alex was attracted to at their high school. Maybe we did and we don't know it yet. It doesn't seem right to throw Alex back into the dating pool so soon, but I know that the show has picked up a following in the gay community and they ought to continue with more gay story lines. Maybe an LGBTQ Legionnaire?
    Well, Shrinking Violet would probably not take up too much budget .

(Although I guess there's Dawnstar and Lightning Lass too).

I believe the SUPERGIRL producers should be very careful not to put their actors in situations that could hurt them. I feel this way about Chris Woods, who is not the star, yet he's in a relationship with the star of the show. There's a power imbalance there and it puts him in a vulnerable position if things don't work out either personally or professionally. We already had one actor, Blake Jenner, Benoist's husband, who was dropped from a recurring role on the series after their marriage fell apart.
    Didn't their marriage fall apart because of Woods? I seem to recall that it was after Benoist and Woods worked together for a few months that Benoist and Jenner got divorced and Benoist hooked up officially with Woods.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Didn't their marriage fall apart because of Woods? I seem to recall that it was after Benoist and Woods worked together for a few months that Benoist and Jenner got divorced and Benoist hooked up officially with Woods.
    I'm not sure of the timing and I wouldn't want to say without knowing all the facts. I just know they did split and she did end up with Chris Wood.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And it was said outright that the girl was underage.
    That wasn't really under question. Just that it's also a real life thing that happens many times. Like there are many happily married couples of many years who have one of their loved ones registered as sex offenders in real life with no way of removing that from their record simply due to the ages of when they got together. Which admittedly I hadn't even stopped to think about for a long time until I started seeing a fair amount of news stories about it.

And I'll elaborate further below. Since the show just kind of went HEY SHE'S A MINOR. Then had said minor say it was OK without any real effort on the shows part to show or state why her saying that isn't important.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    About the teacher and the student. I think there's a rule in law that applies to people in positions of trust. While it might be all right for a 27 year old man to date a 17 year old girl, that doesn't apply if the man is her teacher.
    And here we go. Exactly. Though age is definitely a huge part of it, power dynamics are generally a major issue with the situations (if not the biggest in many). But the show...doesn't really address that on any level. Simply shutting the topic down without any real explanation or elaboration which in situations like this really doesn't help show why it's wrong. You really need to show it with a topic like this.

As it is it just shows a teacher and his student with no indications of anything of what their relationship is like and him getting thrown in jail for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I liked how Kara says screw it and saves Alex anyway even when she was told not to reveal her powers.
    While in "Man of Steel" Clark is told not to use his powers, and he say okay, and lets his dad die.
    Well, I bought into Pa Kent's reasoning more than Jon's reasoning. Jon's reasoning was essentially - "because."

Pa Kent is not the same as golden age Pa Kent, fair enough. But Supes is not the same either. Golden age Superman could have flown around the world for fun, saved Pa Kent, danced on top of the White House, taken a crap, eaten a sandwich, and come right back where he started without anyone even noticing he had left.

Still, Clark's dad was a dick for doing that to him.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-14-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

In, BVS doesn't Pa's ghost tell a story about how they saved a bunch of people's farms, but they inadvertently caused damage to a bunch more? And it's like Pa carries all this guilt for that, even in death. But Pa does the same thing to his son, because he stops Clark from saving his life, supposedly so Clark won't be outed, but he burdens Clark forever with the gulit that he didn't save his Pa.

So it was a stupid decision by both Pa and Clark. Stupid for Pa to stop Clark and stupid for Clark to do as he was told. They should have both known that you can't ask someone to make that sacrifice. Clark has to save Pa, because he can't live with the guilt of not doing so. That's probably why Clark has to die in BVS, because he's carrying too much guilt from the previous movie and dying is his only way out of it.

Ha! Love me some Easter Eggs! Chloe and the Wall of Weird! Noelle Neil (although wouldn't Phyllis Coates make more sense? She's Erica Durance's Grandmother Lois)! And best of all...the red trunks have been confirmed! I guess in this universe, Clark, using his superhearing, probably overheard one too many high schoolers mocking him so he decided to get rid of them.

Did they really have to name the kid "Kenny"? Every time someone said "Killed Kenny", I thought of South Park. Poor kid, though, he didn't even get to kiss Kara. I kind of liked this flashback and all, but it could've been better used to parallel what was going on in the present day. Alex made a very good point about how Kara wanted to cheer her up but only on her terms with imaginary guidelines and Alex never really agreed to it. Plus she had a point about how long Kara was mopey over Mon-El. Then we get the flashback and then at the very end of the episode, they joke about car keys, drive back to National City, and sing along with the radio. Just because we saw them bond for the first time in the past doesn't resolve their issues in the present.

It was a bit odd having two different girls playing Alex and Kara--especially since Melissa Benoist played a high school teen in GLEE. But the girl playing Alex (Olivia Nikkanen) had a strong resemblance to Chyler Leigh. And after a few minutes I just accepted these girls as Alex and Kara.
    I liked both actresses, Alex's really felt like she could grow up to be present day Alex. Kara's was good as well, although during some of it, I felt like she could pass for a teenage Sara Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Heh, "Noel Neil." I was almost half-expecting them to have Durance reprise Lois Lane here. But J'onn using Kara's mother's face to give her some comfort was fitting, if a tad in bad taste .
    That was disturbingly manipulative. At first I thought the coincidence was too great, but then it turns out J'onn did that because he knew Kara would listen to someone who looked like her mother. It was sad to see Kara tell her she loves her in Kryptonian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    BTW, couldn't have Kara used the bathroom a little bit quicker for Alex's benefit?
    If she tried, she probably would've blown a hole in the toilet. Couldn't Alex have woken up five minutes earlier?

Retired

I think there are some bodily functions you can't perform at super-speed.

Since Alura and Astra are identical twins, it's not certain that J'Onn was posing as Alura. At first, I thought it could be Astra before I realized it was J'Onn.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    If she tried, she probably would've blown a hole in the toilet. Couldn't Alex have woken up five minutes earlier?
    Well, I was thinking more on the lines of showering, brushing her teeth, etc, but you have a point.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?