Page 251 of 374 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Clearly she was elected under false pretenses and unconstitutionally, so I don't know how she doesn't leave the White House via impeachment. If she stays, whatever the reasoning, it will be nonsense.
    I almost get the sense they're not going to address that. It's a diversion from the story they want to tell.

Unless they're going to say she was born in the US. . . . which I guess is possible. We don't know her story, right?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

After the Flash premier went some way towards restoring my faith in that show, this did the same for Supergirl. A return to Catco (though I still miss Cat Grant), a new role for Kara in her civilian guise, action that actually takes place during the day, a firm focus on Kara while giving her supporting characters some nice moments too - this is the most it felt like season 1 Supergirl in forever. As for the political aspect, like her cousin, I think this is the sort of story that is a perfect fit for the character. She is incredibly powerful so it's great to see her going up against something that she can't just punch and that represents the very opposite of what she stands for, something that is believed by plenty of regular citizens. Kara vs Red Son Kara should be great too but this is a solid throughline for the season.

Like the Flash, though, I hope this isn't just a fluke and that they really have learned from the mistakes of the past. There's loads of potential here so here's hoping they don't blow it in typical Arrowverse style.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Clearly she was elected under false pretenses and unconstitutionally, so I don't know how she doesn't leave the White House via impeachment. If she stays, whatever the reasoning, it will be nonsense.
    Well, if she is an alien species that was born on Earth and just didn't disclose that fact, that would be no different than FDR hiding his Polio, or Kennedy hiding his numerous medical problems from the public. If she was born off-world, THAT would be the constitutional crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I almost get the sense they're not going to address that. It's a diversion from the story they want to tell.

Unless they're going to say she was born in the US. . . . which I guess is possible. We don't know her story, right?
    And I'm worried that they WILL address it and the new President will end up being a Trump clone.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, if she is an alien species that was born on Earth and just didn't disclose that fact, that would be no different than FDR hiding his Polio, or Kennedy hiding his numerous medical problems from the public. If she was born off-world, THAT would be the constitutional crisis.
    Excellent point. I wasn't even thinking about her being born on Earth, which would be a different story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

And I'm worried that they WILL address it and the new President will end up being a Trump clone.
    Yeah, I could do without that myself.

Someone remind me- President Marsdin, did she come to this planet as a child refugee, or did her parents come here as refugees and then give birth to her? I have a feeling if it's the former that we'll be seeing a Constitutional crisis play out next week.
    She once said, "The terrible lessons I learned on Durla will not be repeated,". It's unlikely she was born on Earth, went back to Durla, and then escaped back to Earth.

I'm wondering if she has taken someone else's identity much the way J'onn did. There would have been an intense vetting process (y'know, birth certificates and interviewing college roommates etc) before she would have been given the okay to run for President, no?

Also a nice touch- the bridge collapsing in the beginning pays out at the end, as we see Red Kara training in Kasnia. Kind of had a Rocky IV vibe for me. I hope when the two Kara's finally meet up, the double says "I must break you." in Russian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Was red daughter training or building a tunnel?
    Tunnel. Short Circuit 2-style.

And the cause of the 'earthquake'. Curious that Kara didn't look into it further - but I guess it can be dismissed as an old railtrack that's fallen into a state of disrepair, in an Eastern European country (and she was quite busy).

Jury's still out for me on how I feel about Mercy and Otis. I liked how competent they were, but I wasn't really digging their personalities. Actually, Mercy reminded me of Lillian (who was nice to see).
    Otis reminded me of The Cowboy from Innerspace.

I did like how they played on our awareness of Otis (well, those of us who know Otis...) because, frankly, I did think Mercy was willing to kill him

When Mercy threw the grenade at Alex, I almost shouted out loud "TOSS IT BACK AT HER!" She held onto it for like five full seconds, and it took another 3-5 to detonate under that shield.
    Also highlights the importance of Kara and Kal's capes being super-durable.

Wouldn't the VP become President?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Wouldn't the VP become President?
    Yes, but have we seen the VP? I don't remember.

Wait, it was Brent Spiner as VP Baker, but now it's Bruce Boxleitner.

Yes, but have we seen the VP? I don't remember.

Wait, it was Brent Spiner as VP Baker, but now it's Bruce Boxleitner.
    And Boxleitner has experience as a fictional President.

I quit watching Supergirl about halfway through last season. It just saddened me so, so much to see the character treated so monumentally badly. When she wasn't being a damsel in distress, she was essentially being reduced to the role of a passive supporting character in what was supposed to her own show. I read recaps of the remaining episodes, in the hope I would see something that turned the tide, but instead we just got more and more of the same, culminating in a finale where Kara was, to all intents and purposes, little more than a plot device.

With that in mind, I wasn't gonna bother with season 4. Assuming the writing team is the same this year, I had absolutely no reason to assume things would change and they'd start writing the character as... well, as an actual hero. But morbid curiosity and a faint tiny hope that things might have improved persuaded me to check it out. And hey. It's still business as usual.

Aside from a few token heroic acts at the opening of the episode, Kara is once again a character with next to no agency. Jonn realises the link between the crimes before she does, Brainy has to help her out of the cuffs (because honestly, heaven forbid this show ever showed Supergirl saving herself!!!) and then at the end, she couldn't catch up with two people on motorbikes.

Supergirl. Could not fly faster. Than motorbikes.

"The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I wonder what it will take to get J'onn to abandon the way of peace and get his green rage on?
    Next time Supergirl needs saving. So I'd give it a week.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Extraordinary Member

So J'onn lays his sword down and Jimmy will be arrested on site if he appears as Guardian. Way to go to write these two out of the action. But I can see the dumb subplot forming now with Jimmy being mad at Lana for helping him when he finds out. "I wanted to handle this myself! You should of just let me go to jail!"Ugh...

Only on a T.V show would the news reveal the President is an alien lol. An entertaining episode nonetheless hoping I'm wrong about J'onn and Jimmy. Eager to see how how the doppleganger SG is gonna play out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So J'onn lays his sword down and Jimmy will be arrested on site if he appears as Guardian. Way to go to write these two out of the action. But I can see the dumb subplot forming now with Jimmy being mad at Lana for helping him when he finds out. "I wanted to handle this myself! You should of just let me go to jail!"Ugh...

Only on a T.V show would the news reveal the President is an alien lol. An entertaining episode nonetheless hoping I'm wrong about J'onn and Jimmy. Eager to see how how the doppleganger SG is gonna play out.
    Supposedly the reason they fill all these shows that start out as solo superhero shows is because it's exhausting for the lead title character, which is completely understandable. It seems as if they're pulling back from that a little bit on both Supergirl and Arrow, though, which is intriguing. Admittedly, I do tune in for the CW superhero shows for the lead more than any other reason.

That said, if Daredevil has proven anything, it's that you don't have to put your entire supporting cast in spandex to make them worth the air time.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Supposedly the reason they fill all these shows that start out as solo superhero shows is because it's exhausting for the lead title character, which is completely understandable. It seems as if they're pulling back from that a little bit on both Supergirl and Arrow, though, which is intriguing. Admittedly, I do tune in for the CW superhero shows for the lead more than any other reason.

That said, if Daredevil has proven anything, it's that you don't have to put your entire supporting cast in spandex to make them worth the air time.
    I'm thinking they're benching Jimmy and J'onn to make more time for the Legion characters. Kinda sucks to me as J'onn and Jim are a more interesting than anybody from the LOS so far imo. But only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I quit watching Supergirl about halfway through last season. It just saddened me so, so much to see the character treated so monumentally badly. When she wasn't being a damsel in distress, she was essentially being reduced to the role of a passive supporting character in what was supposed to her own show. I read recaps of the remaining episodes, in the hope I would see something that turned the tide, but instead we just got more and more of the same, culminating in a finale where Kara was, to all intents and purposes, little more than a plot device.

With that in mind, I wasn't gonna bother with season 4. Assuming the writing team is the same this year, I had absolutely no reason to assume things would change and they'd start writing the character as... well, as an actual hero. But morbid curiosity and a faint tiny hope that things might have improved persuaded me to check it out. And hey. It's still business as usual.

Aside from a few token heroic acts at the opening of the episode, Kara is once again a character with next to no agency. Jonn realises the link between the crimes before she does, Brainy has to help her out of the cuffs (because honestly, heaven forbid this show ever showed Supergirl saving herself!!!) and then at the end, she couldn't catch up with two people on motorbikes.

Supergirl. Could not fly faster. Than motorbikes.

I really want to refute everything you've said- but I can't. I went with the cuffs at first- I thought they were Red Sun cuffs that would cut off her powers. Instead, they were gravity cuffs? Which in and of itself makes no sense why it would work on Kara considering she defies gravity every time she lifts off. And she couldn't break them? They couldn't have at least thrown in that they were made of prometheum or something?

And the motorcycle chase annoyed the crap out of me. Kara has kept pace with Barry, for Christs' sake. She should have easily been able to run down the pair of them. But this is the kind of crap we have to put up with because the writers aren't clever enough to think of logical ways the Graves' could have outrun Kara.

The one thing I didn't mind was J'onn putting it together before Kara. Kara is an idealist, and with all she had done, all she saw was the positive side of things. Like J'onn said, she can pass for human- and she really doesn't interact with aliens that can't pass for human on a regular basis. So it would be easy for her to miss the hatred that is bubbling beneath the surface.