Page 348 of 374 FirstFirst ... 248298338344345346347348349350351352358 ... LastLast
Results 5,206 to 5,220 of 5596

Despite how much I love Superman and Lois, I don't think this show needs to acknowledge it when we're so close to the end. Have Kara show up on that show, but let this show keep on with its own characters so we can get fully realized endings for them. I think Lena and Nia have a great relationship now. I don't know what Andrea's problem is, but I do enjoy seeing the Kara Danvers side of Supergirl's life and how she is going to live that part of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Where you can fault the show is the way they make it sound like the solutions are
    so simple. They had faulty resolutions, but it seemed like the show wanted to still say it was
    easy. The truth of the matter this isn't the kind of issue where you just trot out some
    superhero solution. Not when you are dealing with systemic issues that affect global society.
    Leave it to Supergirl to clumsily deal with real world problems. I get why they wanted to bring up environmental issues, but comparing Earth to Krypton and having a simple solution like using alien technology wasn't the best thing.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Leave it to Supergirl to clumsily deal with real world problems. I get why they wanted to bring up environmental issues, but comparing Earth to Krypton and having a simple solution like using alien technology wasn't the best thing.
    Yeah, mixing politics with superheroics is fraught with danger. At least the environmental angle is somewhat comparable (however minutely) to real-life events, unlike the "space aliens are people, too" story arc from a few seasons back. The equating of the latter with Mexicans crossing the border was, frankly, ridiculous.

IMO, they should either ignore politics (my preference) or let the superheroes change society radically from our own in these matters. The middle ground is just unsatisfying to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Amen to these recent posts. The whole minority, immigration thread - right wing Trumpist politicians - not something I want to watch. I have real world sources for politics and wanted escapism from that horror show. Similarly, all the sexual discovery - not interested. All for everybody being free to be whatever, but in escapist superhero shows - not interested.

If I want that, there are realistic and much better acted drama and literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Amen to these recent posts. The whole minority, immigration thread - right wing Trumpist politicians - not something I want to watch. I have real world sources for politics and wanted escapism from that horror show. Similarly, all the sexual discovery - not interested. All for everybody being free to be whatever, but in escapist superhero shows - not interested.

If I want that, there are realistic and much better acted drama and literature.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I don't mind the sexual discovery, or even dealing with environmental issues. But season 4, with the immigration issues and the Children of Liberty being obvious stand-ins for Trump supporters- I get what they were trying to do, but as someone who watches the news all day, when I watch a superhero show, I want to escape. What I don't want is to see what I just saw on the news played out on a tv show.

BANNED

Agree. Both conservatives and liberals like superheroes. No need 2 pick sides. I do think this is a result of bad writing however because the show writers can't think of any original ideas on their own so they have 2 use what they just saw on CNN or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I don't mind the sexual discovery, or even dealing with environmental issues. But season 4, with the immigration issues and the Children of Liberty being obvious stand-ins for Trump supporters- I get what they were trying to do, but as someone who watches the news all day, when I watch a superhero show, I want to escape. What I don't want is to see what I just saw on the news played out on a tv show.
    To be honest it kind of lost me when we saw Agent Liberty's backstory and they addressed how random aliens, even if they don't mean to, have an obviously physical and biological edge over humans and can attack them even if they don't mean to (and the DEO felt kind of too pro-alien at times) which is where the metaphor just didn't quite hit for me (and yeah, the President was kind of in the wrong for what she did).

It's like how the Mutant metaphor doesn't quite hold up as well when you think about it too much.

Incredible Member

I think we can all agree that the immigration angle was told very poorly.

In fact, if you can't tell stories with fresh ways to talk about politics you shouldn't do it.
    It just becomes preachy, the points you are trying to make just come off as contrived.
    I think environmental issues can be told in a unique way. But what we got was a
    hamfisted preachy bit about environmental issues, then a garbage monster. It
    was all rather ridiculous.

Was I alone in thinking when the heroes were having the climatic battle that it
    looked like something out of the Power Rangers? It was just hard to take it
    very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest it kind of lost me when we saw Agent Liberty's backstory and they addressed how random aliens, even if they don't mean to, have an obviously physical and biological edge over humans and can attack them even if they don't mean to (and the DEO felt kind of too pro-alien at times) which is where the metaphor just didn't quite hit for me (and yeah, the President was kind of in the wrong for what she did).

It's like how the Mutant metaphor doesn't quite hold up as well when you think about it too much.
    Right, Frontier. Alien Nation is one of the rare times where it worked, since the aliens weren't any more powerful than us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right, Frontier. Alien Nation is one of the rare times where it worked, since the aliens weren't any more powerful than us.
    That and you could take out the aliens with nothing more than a Super Soaker and Table Salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That and you could take out the aliens with nothing more than a Super Soaker and Table Salt.
    Heh. The Wicked Witch of the West treatment.

In fact, if you can't tell stories with fresh ways to talk about politics you shouldn't do it.
    It just becomes preachy, the points you are trying to make just come off as contrived.

very seriously.
    The Arrowverse has been Power Rangers-esque for a while now .

very seriously.
    Well, Kara WAS in her Power Rangers suit.

Mighty Member

Like the look of the new Guardian helmet.

... and we're back to the "less fortunate" space-aliens-with-super-powers storyline. Egad!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

After seeing set photos from the finale, I'm dreading the fandom reactions (speculative finale spoilers based on set photos): spoilers:
    sounds like the way they "write out" Kara from the CWverse is she goes to the future with Mon-El and the Legion, meaning she's probably back with Mon-El since he's played by her IRL husband and it's be symbolic and all that jazz. Meaning Supercorp fans are about to become a time bomb of absolute insufferability not seen since the Snyder cut
    end of spoilers