Page 105 of 374 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 5596
    Ultimate Member

Well part of it is that they don't want a male character that could either give Kara a run for her money or defeat her, that wouldn't be very pc...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well part of it is that they don't want a male character that could either give Kara a run for her money or defeat her, that wouldn't be very pc...
    Isn't the traditional history Kara is stronger than Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    Is she? I thought she just held back less but clarks power limits were unknown because hes always holding back to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Exactly.It feels like something they're doing just to give Mechad screen time. They should have shelved Catco with Calista leaving and transitioned Jimmy to the DEO along with Winn. His skills as a journalist could have made him some kind of agent, which might have made the guardian stuff seem much less out of place.
    Given that Jimmy Olsen had no established skills as a manager of a big company, it probably would've made sense for both him and Linda to go to work for the paper. It's hard enough to believe that he might find time to be a superhero after spending hours at a regular job, but being on call to manage a big company-- even if he's not really SEEN doing it-- makes less sense to me.

The 1990s Supergirl was said to be stronger in some stories but I don't think the idea was consistently out there. Who knows about the "new 52" version or whatever they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Given that Jimmy Olsen had no established skills as a manager of a big company, it probably would've made sense for both him and Linda to go to work for the paper. It's hard enough to believe that he might find time to be a superhero after spending hours at a regular job, but being on call to manage a big company-- even if he's not really SEEN doing it-- makes less sense to me.
    Well being in charge means more responsibility but it also means the ability to delegate those responsibilities to other people. For instance, as a regular employee he'd have deadlines he'd have to met which could conflict with his new nighttime routine, versus now he can delegate those deadlines to underlings. Speaking of nighttime routine, doesn't he mostly fight crime at night, unless I missed an ep where he did it in the day time? So its not conflicting with his job, except maybe being in pain the next day. I find it no less believable than being the mayor of an entire town yet still finding time to crime fight at night.

Retired

Say what!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    The 1990s Supergirl was said to be stronger in some stories but I don't think the idea was consistently out there. Who knows about the "new 52" version or whatever they have now.
    Rebirth is the current continuity for Supergirl and pretty much all of the other DC characters. Just about everything from New 52 for Supergirl has been swept under the rug.
    It is still continuity, but it's like the crazy relative in the mental hospital. He is known about but not talked about much. Anyway currently Supergirl is a 16 year old girl in high school
    and doesn't seem to be anywhere near Superman's power level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Say what!!!???
    'WHAT'

10 Facts You Need to Know About Supergirl

2. She May Be More Powerful Than Superman

If you want to get DC fans in an argument, try asking them who’s more powerful: Supergirl, or Superman. Fans have been going back and forth about this question for years, and it may never have a definitive answer. Since both Superman and Supergirl are from Krypton, they of course have many of the same powers. Some argue Superman is stronger because he is larger, while other claim that Supergirl actually growing up on the larger planet Krypton means she should have the edge.

Superman is known for holding back when it comes to his powers, so he doesn’t do any unnecessary damage to innocents. Supergirl, on the other hand, has trouble showing the same restraint. Does “not holding back” make Supergirl more powerful? That isn’t a very strong argument on its own, but differences between the characters’ ages (Supergirl is technically older than Superman) and questioned abilities to absorb sunlight have kept this debate going for years (to the delight of DC, we have to assume).

Retired

It's the "traditional history" thing I don't get. If there was any traditional history for Supergirl, it was probably pre-Crisis (and she died in the Crisis). There she was often weaker than Superman. At best they were equal. Since Crisis, there have been so many versions of Supergirl (not all Kara Zor-El), that you can't really say there's a traditional history because a status quo hasn't been allowed to stand long enough for a tradition to develop.

Oh, I totally agree. With all these relaunches multiple creative teams with direction changes, it can get confusing what is the baseline they are always working from.

But there has been mention more than once about her being older. I wish DC would make a surprising decision on this one, and put it to bed.

BANNED

She doesn't have the psychological blocks that Clark has so he doesn't just crush and pulverize everything he handles.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

"Stronger?" No. That would make no sense. Clark just plain has more muscle mass than she does. Whatever other factors are behind Kryptonian strength, the physical medium through which they operate is simply more in Clark's favor.

She has been canonically established as being faster than Clark, pre-Flashpoint. And she's MUCH more liberal with her use of heat vision than Clark tends to be.

She may seem stronger, but that's largely due to the fact that she just doesn't hold back the way he tends to.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Holding back Martian Manhunter is quite correct. They came up with a new weakness for him (maybe it was in book canon but I don't recall it). The atmosphere of the red sun planet had silica in it (how does that work?) and OOPS, I'm staying home. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    "Stronger?" No. That would make no sense. Clark just plain has more muscle mass than she does. Whatever other factors are behind Kryptonian strength, the physical medium through which they operate is simply more in Clark's favor.

She has been canonically established as being faster than Clark, pre-Flashpoint. And she's MUCH more liberal with her use of heat vision than Clark tends to be.

She may seem stronger, but that's largely due to the fact that she just doesn't hold back the way he tends to.
    I think the 1990s version tossed in some hoodoo about how she was stronger because she'd been exposed to solar radiation in space, though that doesn't really track too well.