Page 11 of 374 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Yeah, thus far Kara has avoided the Flash problem of "act like he's a role model for young people, but then have him do all kinds of shady/morally ambiguous things that you then gloss over." She actually has lived up to that ideal, but we'll have to wait and see if that continues.

Incredible Member

I'm not annoyed by the number of mentions of Superman or his brief appearance this week because this episode was all about Kara's forcefully breaking away once and for all from his shadow. I do however suspect that eventually he will appear again and we will even see his face and hear his voice. Maybe he'll call her in for help with something?

When I first saw Reactron my first thought was "Hey, it's Mickey Rourke from Iron Man 2." Then I went "Wait, who is this guy, Metallo? Yeah, that's it. He's very Metallo-like." But then I Wiki-ed him and found that Reactron was an old Supergirl villain from the 80s. There've been so many villains over the decades that have been similar to each other. I loved his fight scenes with Supergirl though. The only thing that gave me pause was when they first fought and he flew away when his suit was damaged, Supergirl was still in ok condition. Why didn't she just take off after him?

Great episode!

Incredible Member

She's also lived up to the ideal of having a massive chip on her shoulder, but maybe now that is finally knocked off and we can focus on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Win is wayyyyy overqualified to work at Catco if he can secretly set up a high tech secret base in an abandoned office building and do such advanced computer work. Then again, given Cat Grant's standards of excellence, maybe he's the only tech guy up for working for her.
    I agree. I assume he has some connection with Toyman, which is why he can do this stuff. But why is he working there? (I sometimes thought the same thing about Felicity Smoak. Why was she working as an IT girl at Queen Enterprises, but I liked her enough that I stopped caring.)

Sandy Hausler

Ultimate Member

So all DC TV superheroes apparently need:

-The nerdy tech person who also doubles as a fashion designer/comic relief.
    -The somewhat morally ambiguous female character.
    -The Black guy who's the emotional center/voice of reason on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

You are right! Is this something you thought up, or have you seen it elsewhere? if so, well done.

Who are the morally ambiguous females in arrow, flash and supergirl?

Astonishing Member

Fight was typical PIS or CIS. Kal or Kara should have eliminated him in a millisecond. A zillion ways to do it.

Yeah, she easily could have used heat vision at his chest mechanism, wrist shooters, or even a knee cap. At this point, I'll chalk it up to her overall fighting inexperience. Even though she and her sis have done some training, and even though she has fought her aunt and that other Kryptonian, we haven't seen her handle many ranged attacks.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Given that the premise of the show is Supergirl discovering her own identity and getting out from Superman's shadow, it would be really out of place for no one to mention Superman several times an episode, particularly at the start like this, since he's the only other person inexistence to compare her to and she does sort of, you know, wear the S.
    I didnt know the premise was Superman's Cousin.
    I actually wanted a show about Supergirl. I was worried about being all super feminism rah-rah but we got something worst.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post

All this carping over how many times Superman gets mentioned is hilarious because we all know that if they didn't mention him at all, people would be complaining about that.
    I wouldn't be complaining at all.
    I wouldn't mind a couple of mentions through the episodes but the first 3 episodes of this show so far have storylines revolving around Superman.

Yeah, the show also follow the same path of first fight loss, have the nerds figure out a method of attack, and one final fight with said method of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Who are the morally ambiguous females in arrow, flash and supergirl?
    Nyssa, Speedy, Golden Glider, and Grant?

Yeah, thus far Kara has avoided the Flash problem of "act like he's a role model for young people, but then have him do all kinds of shady/morally ambiguous things that you then gloss over." She actually has lived up to that ideal, but we'll have to wait and see if that continues.
    I meant the fact that this season Flash has killed two Earth-2 villains without batting an eye at it.

Now that you mention it...Felicity designed the Green Arrow costume, Cisco designed the Flash costume, and Winn designed the Supergirl costume. And yet Vixen is the only character who apparently actually majored in it .

I don't think Alex is really that morally ambiguous, at least at this point and compared to Henshaw. She came through with finding a way to stop Reactron and is generally very supportive of her sister. She seems more pragmatic and practical then morally ambiguous, and what morally ambigous actions she has taken seem to be as a result of Henshaw's orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Yeah, she easily could have used heat vision at his chest mechanism, wrist shooters, or even a knee cap. At this point, I'll chalk it up to her overall fighting inexperience. Even though she and her sis have done some training, and even though she has fought her aunt and that other Kryptonian, we haven't seen her handle many ranged attacks.
    Or she was going for a non-lethal takedown which effected her fighting style. And I don't think a heat vision to the chest mechanism would've turned out well for anyone involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume his cyborg systems are connected to the DEO mainframe or something, so when Alex was accessing files for stopping Reactron he was able to realize it.
    But that doesn't explain why he set up an alert protocol that results in his eyes glowing bright red when it's triggered. What happens if he's just having a conversation with someone when it goes off? How does he explain it? "Man, just not gettin' enough sleep, I guess."

As far as Henshaw's identity goes, my guess is that he was critically injured when Fort Rozz crashed to Earth--either he was member of the response to that investigated the crash and was hurt trying to contain the alien breakout or (sticking closer to the comics) he was an astronaut in Earth orbit and the prison impacted his ship, causing it to crash. His body was rebuilt using Kryptonian tech salvaged from the crash and he was eventually put in charge of containing the alien threat. The real question is who rebuilt him and what side is he on? I really hope he doesn't turn out to be a bad guy, just because it would basically be a rehash of the opening season arcs on Arrow and Flash, where one of the hero's friends/allies/mentor's ends up betraying him. (And, in the case of Arrow, they basically reused it for season 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I agree. I assume he has some connection with Toyman, which is why he can do this stuff. But why is he working there?
    It's already been confirmed that he's Toyman's son and that he's estranged from his father. My guess would be that he took the job for much the same reasons Kara originally decided to hide her powers, because he wanted a "normal" life unconnected to the burden of his family's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I wouldn't be complaining at all.
    That'll be the day.

I wouldn't mind a couple of mentions through the episodes but the first 3 episodes of this show so far have storylines revolving around Superman.
    You seem to be watching a very different version of the show than the one I'm seeing.

BANNED

I've never seen the Flash proclaim himself as some kind of "role model for the kids" and using lethal force to stop a violent criminal with blindingly clear lethal intent and the obvious means to carry it out is neither shady nor morally ambiguous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Given that the premise of the show is Supergirl discovering her own identity and getting out from Superman's shadow,
    I didnt know the premise was Superman's Cousin.
    Ummm....

No episode so far has had a story even remotely revolving around Superman. You're just being determined to make stuff up for some reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I've never seen the Flash proclaim himself as some kind of "role model for the kids" and using lethal force to stop a violent criminal with blindingly clear lethal intent and the obvious means to carry it out is neither shady nor morally ambiguous.
    It is certainly morally ambiguous in the absence of any civic accountability.